• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
...Wow. I'm not alone in liking Silver Nemesis (always, ALWAYS start with the extended cut where that's concerned)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
...Wow. I'm not alone in liking Silver Nemesis (always, ALWAYS start with the extended cut where that's concerned)

For a few seconds, I was hoping that The Doctor's Golden-Arrow from the recent Sherwood episode was somehow going to be related to the Silver-Arrow that the Nemesis carries ;-).

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would have went a long way to explaining how conveiniantly impactful that arrow proved to be against a vast rocketship. Doctor could even have name-dropped "vilidium" as something he dosed the arrow in or something.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jenna sticks around for Christmas!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought you guys might be interested to know there's another Seventh Doctor comic strip TPB collection coming out, "The Good Soldier" will, amongst other stories, reportedly contain the Mark of Mandragora comic (back when most of were nippers, that story was one of the first DW comic strip trades available...and all in color), and while that particular story is the most significant to fans of that run, the Good Soldier story features the far more prolific Cybermen, giving them an excuse to stick them on the cover!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius, do you have a source for that information? Is Panini publishing it?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, they are publishing it, it's the next trade scheduled after the last of the Eleventh Doctor strips come out. I was on Gallifrey Base today and stumbled on the news, it was backed up by Tom Spilbury popping over there and he confirmed Mandragora would be reprinted in this collection. He also said they were having difficulties with printing the strips from the Yearbooks because they can't get their hands on uncolored art for them.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice! The fan-created credits just keep getting better and better.

Here's a crazy good alternate theme for the 2008 season:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Jenna sticks around for Christmas!

Cool! Is that another trailer, or is that a video prequel (meaning that it's footage unique to this video)?

EDITED TO ADD: Well, I just found another preview, and it has footage from this one in it, so I guess the one above is also a trailer.

This one is still worth checking out, as it has some different footage as well.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What a tense special that was, a well-worn sci-fi cliche with
dreams within dreams within dreams
but very high on suspense and emotion, and it's ripe for fan editing
think about a version which ends on Twelve and wise old Clara pulling the cracker?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A very satisfying episode. Much better than I was expecting, honestly. Lots of great movie references, but with a very Who spin on them. Effects and cinematography were top notch. The music was better than it was all season. Perhaps Murray Gold just had difficulty in adjusting to composing without the use of I Am The Doctor?

So... where was The Doctor waking up, exactly? It looked an awful lot like the rock formation in his timestream when they first revealed The War Doctor. Are we sure he didn't find Gallifrey?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
So... where was The Doctor waking up, exactly? It looked an awful lot like the rock formation in his timestream when they first revealed The War Doctor. Are we sure he didn't find Gallifrey?

That was what I was wondering.... though to me, it looked like the volcano place where Clara threatened the Doctor and threw the TARDIS Keys into the lava.... but that was dream too.... wasn't it? lol
Moffatt what a sneaky writer..... playing with the whole fan base expectation that Jenna Coleman would be leaving the show.... brilliant!!!!

Overall, an awesome special!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Moffatt what a sneaky writer..... playing with the whole fan base expectation that Jenna Coleman would be leaving the show.... brilliant!!!!

Overall, an awesome special!

Totally agree.

I've said similar before but it's testament to the excellent writing in the last series, and the chemistry with Capald, that I was sooo happy that Clara would be staying (Before, I was bored with her when she was pared with Smith and would have been glad to see the back of her).

I loved how all we movie-fans were thinking "Strange, this feels an awful lot like 'Alien' and 'The Thing'?", only for it to be revealed that that was intentional. Of course if you didn't pick those refrences up, it didn't matter to the enjoyment, which is great too.

The best bit was Capaldi saying something like...

The Doctor - "You're not real Santa. How do yo fit all those presents in the Sleigh?"
Santa - "It's bigger on the inside"
The Doctor - (Makes a 'darnit' face) :-D

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Considering I'm becoming very tired of the annoyingly smug way Moffatt writes (well, at least for me he comes across as smug!), this was a fun special for sure. Capaldi as good as ever, kinda glad Coleman is staying, but the dream within a dream thing was used a little too much, hated the way Santa and his elves were portrayed and just because the script happens to be very much like Alien in parts, do we need one of the crew members actually spelling it out as a kinda "nudge nudge wink wink" look at how clever and self referential we're being? Kevin Williamson did this kind of thing years ago in Scream, and by the third film it was already way past tiresome.

Just my opinion as always. For the new series, I don't suppose we can have a season which doesn't rely on a story arc? Can we? Pretty please. ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just realised that 2nd Doctor Patrick Troughton's son Michael was in it...

zap-doctor-who-last-christmas-special-photos-024

..and then remembered his brother David has also been in Doctor Who as King Peladon next to Jon Pertwee's third Doctor...

vlcsnap-2010-08-07-18h23m50s56.jpg

Two of Patrick Troughton's grandsons are also actors including Dudley out of Harry Potter. Let's get the whole family in :D

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rumors are that the next showrunner has been selected and will take over a "year later than planned", that person is Phil Ford

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Rumors are that the next showrunner has been selected and will take over a "year later than planned", that person is Phil Ford
If that rumor is from the Mirror there is a lot of conjecture and not a lot of real facts. There's also a lot of misinformation they're reporting AS facts regarding viewer numbers. I'd take any rumors until Series 9 starts again with a hefty dose of salt.

Top Bottom