• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Doctor Who

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I was bed ridden on and off this week with a brutal sinus infection, but it gave me the opportunity to download and listen to Big Finish Audio's 50th Anniversary release starring all the current remaining classic Doctors "The Light At the End".

I am happy to report that is a fantastically entertaining adventure and well worth the price of download.
Definitely a fun way to celebrate the 50th! :)

Glad you enjoyed it Bob! I have the super duper limited edition 5 disc version and I agree, a great fun way to start the celebrations for the 50th. Considering the complexities of writing a story which includes all 8 Doctors from the Classic Series, The Light at The End is nothing short of miraculous. A great romp all round.

I would also highly recommend Marc Platt's The Beginning, from the Companion Chronicles range, which follows Susan and The Doctor as they steal the Tardis from Gallifrey and embark on their first adventure.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
doctorwho.gif

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Very nice! :)

I guess this is a good thread to mention this...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone thought of maybe making "episodes" out of John Hurt films?
They used a shot of him from Crime and Punishment in the short, so I assume all John Hurt films are fair game.

1984 and Contact could work well considering the settings.

I still think (though it's been argued against) that the Paul McGann audios could be extremely good animated episodes with a little editing TLC and of course a lot of animation work.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Has anyone thought of maybe making "episodes" out of John Hurt films?

There's potential there! Indy 4, for instance. Going mad from the Time War, the War Doctor seeks the aid of the aliens who live in the space between spaces to restore his sanity - and peace and sanity to the universe at war.

V for Vendetta: He pulls a Mister Saxon and takes control of a parallel universe UK, cultivating its populace as soldiers for the Time War.Midnight Express: The Doctor is imprisoned by enemy forces on a planet that seems remarkably similar to Turkey. He must escape!

Alien: The Doctor infiltrates an industrial space craft. He has secretly reprogrammed the android Ash to seek out a new weapon to use against the Daleks: the Xenomorphs! But when one gets a little too friendly, it's a race against time to remove the parasite within. Someone with some real effects skills could even have him regenerate into Chris after the chest burst! Could also use the reprise from Spaceballs in there, somehow.

King Ralph: A time meddler has attempted to alter the monarchial history of the UK! It's up to The Doctor to set things right before a paradox ensues.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can any hardcore Whovians tell me, does this Dalek stun gas gun from the 1965 movie have a proper sound from the TV show?

10986725385_60f59b2ddf.jpg

I know very well what the Death Ray sounds like but this ^ is some kind of non-leathal weapon. Maybe it was only used in the movies or maybe the BBC Radiophonic Workshop have an FX for it? If they do it would be great if somebody could point me to a clip. :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If memory serves, that's the movie equivalent of the paralyzer-ray thing from the original Dalek serials. They couldn't replicate the negative luma value effect of the 405-line videotape, so they just went for vapor-based stuff in the movies. As for the accompanying sound, it'd be in one of the early episodes of the serial. 2 or 3, if memory serves. Ian's legs get hit.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rumors are spreading that Marco Polo - the earliest lost serial - has been recovered from a fan's off-screen recording. If true, this will bring the missing episode count down to 90. What a perfect way to cap off the anniversary festivities, if true.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Very enjoyable, informative and heartfelt. I loved the cameo at the end -- Hartnell's legacy ensured.

One day to go. :)

And then countdown starts all over again for the Christmas Special... LOL!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Very enjoyable, informative and heartfelt. I loved the cameo at the end -- Hartnell's legacy ensured.

It was fantastic wasn't it.

Mark Gatiss can do no wrong, the man is a genius. It was 99% perfect for me (The 1% being Reece Shearsmith's cameo at the end as Troughton). Jessica Raine was bloody marvellous as Verity Lambert, need to see more starring roles for this actress. All the panoramic shots of Television Center looking mighty felt sad. Mint green Tardis looked great...

1004626_678170015530362_2123956880_n.jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching the docudrama. Very touching stuff, very heartfelt. Their attention to detail was extraordinary.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And even if there's no lost episode recovery, we at least got this - a recreation of the (in)famous fourth wall break from The Feast of Steven - the episode least likely to ever be recovered.

Hm... needs a little work, though. *edits...*

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was amazing. Not at all what I was expecting - and that's a good thing!

Gigantic spoilers. Don't even think about clicking that until you've seen it.

I loved the way they've completely and utterly changed the nature of what happened at the end of the Time War - in a way that doesn't fudge earlier continuity. Holy cow! Capaldi cameo! I had a feeling they'd do that. Early appearance of a future doctor - how timey-wimey is that?! And... a future regeneration will be Tom Baker again? Or... did one of the first three encounter that curator and model their fourth form after him? Or maybe that was The Watcher? Or... is that their way of acknowledging all the Doctor's lookalikes (First Doctor duplicate in The Massacre, Colin Baker shooting at Peter Davison that one time, Capaldi being a citizen of Pompeii)? So mysterious. So cool. Wish they'd done a bit more with Rose and the older doctors, but their presence alone was welcome. Very good episode. Worthy of the buildup. Wait a minute! So if Gallifrey still exists, frozen in time... The Master will almost certainly be returning when it does as well. I am now absurdly excited for Capaldi's run.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man that was good, exactly what it needed to be and I totally agree every spoiler [MENTION=9451]matrixgrindhouse[/MENTION] mentioned was awesome, that ending! That budget! That chemistry! Now how about that Christmas Special preview?!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fracking incredible!

A show that not only lived up to the hype but EXCEEDED it!!!

The last 15 minutes I was smiling, laughing, tearing and goosbumping all at the same time!

A very clever story that closes off the long running Time War arc and sets the Doctor onto a new path.

I wonder what happened to the Zygons though....? lol.

oh! And I want Stewart's daughter to be the new companion -- I loved her! (and the scarf!)

Can't wait till the dvd goes on sale in two weeks to watch all over again. :D

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just had a crazy idea. More than usual, I mean. Roll with me, on this.

Eleven claims that he doesn't acknowledge - all - of his lives. Odd that he'd phrase it like that, as opposed to just disavowing The War Doctor alone. And we see him regenerate - but not specifically into Nine. The Curator appears to be a version of The Doctor who has retired from his adventures in time and space.

The Curse of Fatal Death is an officially licensed parody episode of Doctor Who, which aired in 1999. It stared an incarnation of the Doctor, who identified himself as the ninth (plus several subsequent regenerations). Throughout that adventure, he announces his intention to retire. What if - and I'm reaching here - Hurt-Doctor regenerated into Atkinson-Doctor, from that special. The events transpire exactly as depicted within. At some point, the romance with The Master ends poorly. The Master subsequently regenerates into whichever version that was at the beginning of the TV Movie (and thereby not conflicting with the whole Time War / Prof. Yana thing). The fourteenth Doctor somehow discovers a way to alter her appearance and increase the number of regenerations available to her. From there, she goes on to retire to Curate the museum, in the Fourth Doctor's visage. At some point, (s)he unretires and regenerates into Chris... who promtply discounts their collected existence and declares himself to be the Ninth. Of course, that'd be absurdly silly. And even more unlikely. I mean, it isn't like Curse was written by Steven Moffat or anything.

Oh, wait. It was.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was....beautiful! What a great way to honor 50 years of the Doctor! Loved the chemistry between Tenant and Smith! War Doctor was great!
Though it kinda felt to me that Eccelston was suppose to play his part instead. Boy, i would have loved that. oh well...
All those little cameos and fan service bits were awesome! And what a wonderful ending! I am so excited for the future of the series right now and the direction they are going!
Gallifrey Falls No More!
Cant wait! :D

Top Bottom