• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

ST - Star Trek

Yesterday, Jan 3rd, was the 31st Anniversary of DEEP SPACE NINE!
Still for me, the Best Trek series to date.

A cool fan created new opening titles for DS9 in the current Paramount Plus style...

wow, 31 years!!!
indeed, the best series for me too.

I can't even watch that clip though... ugh, this is what ST has become.... it's really gross.

edit: we need to celebrate properly :p

Patrick Stewart says that a Picard movie is now in the works and that he'll receive the script soon: https://www.joblo.com/star-trek-picard-movie-script/

Honestly, after loosing Scream 7, it makes sense they want to kickstart one of (if not THE) biggest franchises they have for the big screen. Especially with one of the major faces of the franchise in the lead.

I was just thinking the other day about how Beyond came out 7-8 years ago, which is comparable to the gap between Nemesis and '09. Which is to say, we need a new Star Trek movie, based on my arbitrary concept of how often Star Trek movies should be made. So I hope the above news of a Picard movie is accurate, and that it actually gets made.

I6RA9oW.png

A reply from the Trek BBS:

"Night" [the VOY 5th season premiere] is an utter snooze fest. I'd still rather watch it.​

:D

The Next Generation 7x22: "Bloodlines"

bl.jpg

Picard S3 wasn't the first time a Trek series featured a final-season encounter between Ol' Baldy and a twenty-something son (played by an actor in his 30s) with an attitude and a rap sheet, the product of a long-ago romance, who is now being pursued by a vengeance-driven enemy from his own past, that he didn't previously know he had. No, before there was Jack Crusher Jr., there was Jason Vigo, in "Bloodlines." As with Picard S3, there's even a joke about Baldy's hair, though this time, it's the old man himself who fires the zinger.

The episode, written by Nick Sagan (yes, son of that Sagan), has a very nicely written and acted scene of Picard and the young man starting to bond. It ultimately chickens out, however, in revealing that Jason Vigo was merely unknowingly genetically tampered with into appearing to be Picard's genetic son. (Even with 24th-century tech, how does that work?! It's also wildly implausible, given all their prior feats of engineering, that Geordi and Data aren't able to prevent the Ferengi villain from snatching Jason off the Enterprise via subspace beaming.) I'm tempted to call this reversal a shame, but it does set up a nicely played, heartfelt scene in which Picard bids Jason farewell, and they share an unspoken acknowledgement that, for a brief moment, they'd started to make a profound connection, which, through no fault or either, the subsequently discovered truth all but extinguished.

Picard and Vigo have a fraction of the screen time later shared by Picard and Jack Crusher, but the dramatic results are pretty much equal. Between "Bloodlines" and Picard S3, therefore, I prefer the earlier, quieter, and much shorter story.

Episode Grade: B

Strange New Worlds has been renewed for a fourth season.

Lower Decks will conclude at the end of its fifth season.

Paramount giveth with one hand, and taketh away with the other.

What "origin story" is there left to tell? We got a rebooted version of Kirk and Spock in 2009. I understand their early canon-timeline meeting was explored in Discovery and Pike's time as captain in Strange New Worlds, right? There was Enterprise before any of that. And First Contact before that. What else is there? A movie about Khan taking over the world? A Robert April movie? Another "first Enterprise" before Archer's that history forgot until it didn't?

It's weird that so much of 21st century Star Trek is about the future's past and so little was spent moving forward from Voyager/Nemesis.

It's weird that so much of 21st century Star Trek is about the future's past and so little was spent moving forward from Voyager/Nemesis.
Yeah, this whole Prequel obsession is growing tiresome.

While I enjoy many different aspects of Modern Trek, there are moments where it feels very bankrupt in the originality department.

The Starfleet Academy concept has been circling the drain since the 80s in various iterations. It was even turned into a comic book by Marvel in the 90s. (I believe it was turned into YA novels too?) Heck, the adventures of Captain Pike was a 90s Marvel comic too. And during the Berman Era there was a very hyped origin movie screenplay called The Beginning ( about Kirk’s grandfather Tiberius fighting in the Romulan War) that nearly went into production.

Star Trek is supposed to be about moving forward, but the current wardens seem only interested in recycling the past. So endeth my grumpy old geek rant . 🤪🤣😂

Last edited:
It affects things money-wise. They can only fund so many projects at once.
Kinda yes and kinda no.

Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios are subsidiaries of Paramount Global, not divisions, so operate as independent businesses with their own assets and cash reserves. A cancelled movie doesn't free up more money for a TV show, it just frees up more money for a different movie.

Paramount Global obviously do have final say on what Paramount Pictures and CBS Studios' budgets are and how many Star Trek productions in total should be around at the same time, but would almost certainly look to capitalise on the added exposure of the movie to get more eyes on the TV shows. As such, a movie being in production would likely increase the chances of a new TV show being added to the line up.

They also just announced this movie that (as far as I can tell) nobody wants.
So this is going to be in both timelines like Enterprise? The Kelvin timelines broke off at 2233 so if this takes place in 2223, then it's also set in the original timeline.

According to events in 2223 on Memory Alpha:
Relations between the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire degenerate, giving rise to some seventy years of unremitting hostility as the two powers become embroiled in a tense cold war. (ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II")
So this film could be about that?

Back
Top Bottom