• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ST - Star Trek

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is one of Trek's greatest tragedies that Goldsmith kept coming back for movies that really didn't deserve him IMO.
Especially all those Picard movies which I just can't stand... (even if Next Generation series was Star Trek of my childhood and my, well, first contact with the franchise).

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I only sporadically watched Voyager when it originally aired and bailed on it during, or after, the 4th season. It felt like ST weak-sauce after the superior TNG and the pretty good DS9 (I was still enough into Voyager to build the ship model though). But I've been rewatching it on Netflix, up to the end of S2 and I'm starting to love it! I like the way it feels like the crew of Voyager are a small close-knit family (featuring repeated supporting cast appearances), unlike the office building like staff of the giant Enterprise-D, or the trader-post changing faces of DS9. Jerry Goldsmith's theme is a masterpiece. Compared to the ST we've had in the last 2 decades, Voyager now feels like slow cooked, concentrated, artisanal sauce ;) .

The Doctor is completely wonderful in every way. Kim is highly endearing. Neelix is charming and funny. Janeway is a great, inspiring Captain. I still find Paris, Chakotay, Torres and Kes unengaging but I've warmed to Tuvok. I never liked Russ' portrayal of a supposedly emotion-free full Vulcan as angry and irritated by anybody and everything (few seem to get Vulcans as right as Nimoy did) but with episodes like 'Innocence' where Tuvok is caring for some stranded kids, I really appreciate his development of the Vulcan mentality. Yay Voyager!

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched today.
Nice movie, but I still consider it to be overrated, TMP's rewatch few days ago was way more satisfying.
Being cheap (re-used shots from TMP) and the fact that Horner is nowhere near as good as Goldsmith doesnt help either.

Last edited:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tuvok/Tim Russ is indeed awesome! Spock was a science officer, and Tuvok is a security guy, so it's perfectly logical for him to have a slightly peevish attitude, surely. Wouldn't it be boring if all Vulcans acted alike? I didn't really grow up with TOS, either, so for me, Tuvok has always been Vulcan #1. ;)

I also agree that Voyager had a super charismatic cast, unlike the mostly sleepy and bland crew that followed them. Well, half sleepy, maybe - Bakula, Blalock, Trineer, and Billingsley were solid enough, but Park, Keating, and Montgomery were pretty weak sauce.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of Tuvok, I just watched the Tuvok centric episode 'Flashback'. I definitely missed that one back in the day. I'd remember such a glorious episode featuring Sulu, the Excelsior, Rand, Kang and Janeway in the old red uniform for a bit (plus recognisable supporting bridge crew from The Undiscovered Country). It's just a shame it wasn't a two parter. It provides a lot of invaluable foundation for Tuvok's life and attitudes. e.g. being a new recruit and still standing up to Captain Sulu in front of everybody.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek​

FYI, IMDbTV has just added a 9-hour/11-part documentary about Star Trek, to watch for free (with adds). If you search "Star Trek" on Amazon Prime it doesn't seem to show up, if you search "center seat" it does.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek​

FYI, IMDbTV has just added a 9-hour/11-part documentary about Star Trek, to watch for free (with adds). If you search "Star Trek" on Amazon Prime it doesn't seem to show up, if you search "center seat" it does.

Watched. Mixed feelings.
As someone who over the decades has read hundreds of Behind The Scenes articles, dozens of Making Of/Retrospective books and watched other similar themed Trek documentaries, this one is.... Fine.
As a fast paced, glossy 55 year overview, is an entertaining watch.
Unfortunately, this documentary often only presents one side of events, usually does not give full fair context, plays fast and loose with timelines, and even gets the occasional "fact" wrong.
As I said, entertaining but definitely not definitive.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I'm a few episodes in and I did wonder if it might be familiar territory for the more knowledgable Trekkie. It's right at my level though and I'm loving it. At least 50% of the trivia is all new to me. e.g. Bones' haircut is based on JFK. Wow! It's so obvious when it's pointed out. I didn't even know about the big 'I love Lucy' connection.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'The Center Seat' was so much fun! It's energetic, opinionated and funny, so it doesn't surprise me if they got some details wrong in the telling. The bit where a presumably pre-Picard Jeri Ryan is enthusing about what a bright, optimistic vision ST was and how much the world needs that, did make me wonder what she made of going round violently killing people, swearing and drinking booze in the latest show. Gates was a terrific narrator.

I was watching this Corridor Crew video...

...about the groundbreaking stained glass knight CG shot from 1985's 'Young Sherlock Holmes'. They showed some photos of reference material, or primitive mo-cap being filmed by ILM:

Young-Sherlock-Stained-Glass2.jpg

It looks just like the holdeck in TNG...

HoloGenral4.jpg

...with similarly spaced squares and line widths. TNG started shooting about 17-months after YSH was released, so I wondered if this was where they got the design idea? ILM also worked on 'Encounter at Farpoint', plus TNG and YSH were both Paramount.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They've only gone and remade the Director's Cut of TMP in 4K:

Paramount+ on the 5th April, physical media in September.

If my memory of this film serves me right, the redone DC shots are at 0.38, 0.39, 0.55, 0.56, 1.04, 1.15 and 1.22.

I'm still not totally convinced about the wisdom of adding CG to an old practical FX film but the new shots being rendered at a high resolution comparable to the old FX seems to make them blend a lot better than on the old standard-def DVD.

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm halfway through watching the Voyager S3 two-parter 'Future's End' (for the first time), where they travel to present day LA to investigate a possible change to the timeline. It weirdly feels like I'm watching S2 of Picard but in an alternate timeline where it's like Star Trek.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is amazing!:

The attention to detail even extends to adding a little drop shadow between the animation layers to simulate the physical depth of the cells.

There is an extra little bit of animation at the end of this making of clip:

randomideaguy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really want to get into older Trek after getting into Strange New Worlds... but every attempt previously has left me feeling bored. Are there any good fan edits of Voyager? Or even just an "actually relevant episodes" list?

Top Bottom