Fanedit Forums
forum banner submissions - Printable Version

+- Fanedit Forums (https://forums.fanedit.org)
+-- Forum: Fanedit.org Discussions (https://forums.fanedit.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Site News (https://forums.fanedit.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: forum banner submissions (/showthread.php?tid=3371)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

forum banner submissions - Ultimist - 01-15-2011

Definitely not trying to argue here, but I see many approved banners that have logo fonts bigger than the fanedit.org font... I tried reducing the "Contact" portion to be closer to the size of the fanedit.org font, but the size of the C in comparison to "ontact' makes it so that everything but the C becomes almost unreadable.

In this extreme example, the "C" in Contact is still slightly taller than the fanedit.org font. And the rest is a simply ridiculous level of reduction in clarity and readability.

[Image: 2m2cdac.jpg]

I guess I would ask that an exeption be made and my 2nd submission be approved, since only the C is larger, and since other approved banners exist that have even larger logo fonts. No disrespect intended. I just want to be able to have my logo be readable.

I can't get the logo to look the way I want at such small resolution, so I'll opt instead to use the font that was included with the banner template...

And here's the font-size compliant version Smile :

[Image: 2uy2c7c.jpg]

forum banner submissions - Uncanny Antman - 01-15-2011

Just one more thing to consider, Ult...you know you don't have to heed the 'blocked area' in the template any more, right? That box is finally gone, so you're free to use (or not) the whole right side of the image. Not that there is anything wrong with centering the machine; I just thought I'd mention it. Smile

Ahh, the machine is meant to be where it is. Clearly it is the focal point of the movie, so there's no need to make it the focal point of the cover art or any sort of advertisement, like the banner. It's just there to entice viewers who may not have seen the movie before. I could give you a more technical explanation as to why I chose to do the cover art/disc labe/banner that way... The underlying theme of the film is something like... "if there is no life out there and it truly is just us... seems like an awful waste of space." Lines to that effect are even spoken in the movie.

So my technical explanation would be that the empty space around an object can be just as important as the object itself. Also, with the theme of the film centering around "being alone" or not "being alone"... I thought showing the lonely little machine out in the open all by itself would subconsciously register in the mind of the viewer (of the cover art/disc label/banner).

Don't worry if I'm not making sense, lol.. It's just how my strange mind works.

forum banner submissions - Rogue-theX - 01-15-2011

Ultimist Wrote:Don't worry if I'm not making sense, lol.. It's just how my strange mind works.

Heh, your not the only one
[Image: gif_sylvester300.gif]
.............................^Rogue....^coffee......

forum banner submissions - Uncanny Antman - 01-15-2011

Ultimist Wrote:So my technical explanation would be that the empty space around an object can be just as important as the object itself.
I agree. ...that's why I mentioned it. The machine doesn't look 'out there and lonely' butted up against the FE logo, in my opinion.

But my only goal in mentioning it was to make sure you knew the template was outdated. And you do, so we're cool. Smile

True, doesn't look so lonely with the FE logo there... but the FE logo is sort of required so I have to work with it :p

Actually, I am proud to be able to work with the FE logo and use it in association with something I worked so hard on.

After taking the comments of Uncanny Antman and others under advisement, I created a whole new banner that I am much happier with. Thanks guys!

This is (hopefully) the final version:

[Image: hwwx3l.jpg]