• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Removing pulldown

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I have a strange one. I'm preparing to do my edit of Episode 2.

I have followed the exact same procedure I developed for Episodes 1 and 3 which gave me nice files @ 23.976. When I performed my workflow on the Main Title, it worked just fine, but when I turned my attention to the deleted scenes, I ended up with files @ 29.97. It makes no sense.

My workflow is to use OSEx 0.0110a1 to rip the files, then open in Streamclip to export out a .mov and my separated audio. When this didn't work I went Mac The Ripper, but same result.

So, any guesses as to why I'm getting this new result with an workflow where nothing has changed? And, if I cannot rip the file correctly, is there a way to remove pulldown?

I'm really stumped and I can't pull off the edit I want without several deleted scenes.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
So I have a strange one. I'm preparing to do my edit of Episode 2.

I have followed the exact same procedure I developed for Episodes 1 and 3 which gave me nice files @ 23.976. When I performed my workflow on the Main Title, it worked just fine, but when I turned my attention to the deleted scenes, I ended up with files @ 29.97. It makes no sense.

My workflow is to use OSEx 0.0110a1 to rip the files, then open in Streamclip to export out a .mov and my separated audio. When this didn't work I went Mac The Ripper, but same result.

So, any guesses as to why I'm getting this new result with an workflow where nothing has changed? And, if I cannot rip the file correctly, is there a way to remove pulldown?

I'm really stumped and I can't pull off the edit I want without several deleted scenes.

This is just a wild guess, but it's based on something Jorge told me: any chance the deleted scenes were encoded at 29.97? It turns out that most of the KOTCS bonus features were, and I wouldn't have realized that if Jorge hadn't suggested I double check...he seemed to suggest that they sometimes/often don't bother to be as careful with extra features as they are with main features.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm guessing that is likely to be the case. It's just so odd that only the DS from ATC are at 29, while TPM and RotS are 23.976.

So how did you get around that? Or are you not using any of those scenes?

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
So how did you get around that? Or are you not using any of those scenes?

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure that out a bit. I have an "advantage," I guess, in that there are no full deleted scenes in the bonus features, just a couple of shots I plan to use here and there. I think it's relatively easy in AE to change the frame rate without it being too noticeable for those, but then those shots have no dialogue. I'm not sure how I'd handle it if they did.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Compressor Pro with Reverse Telecine option on the original clip might work.
Let me know how it turns out.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:

Update: I've read in several guides that Compressor 3 does have this ability as long as the cadence is constant, but I have not been able to find the workflow for making it happen. I'll keep digging but if anyone has a clue of where I might find some good guides on this.... :smile:

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
killbillme said:

Update: I've read in several guides that Compressor 3 does have this ability as long as the cadence is constant, but I have not been able to find the workflow for making it happen. I'll keep digging but if anyone has a clue of where I might find some good guides on this.... :smile:

Just tried checking out the manual and playing around with the settings panel a bit. I think I've got this right, but I'm not sure:

-- The default settings seem to be locked.

-- However, if you click on one of the default settings and copy it, you can then adjust the settings in the copy.

-- Click the star-shaped button next to "Frame controls" to allow yourself to toggle from off to on.

-- Then, under "Resizing control", pull down the Deinterlace menu until you reach Reverse Telecine.

That's as far as I've taken my experiment, but I think it at least gets you into Reverse Telecine. For figuring out how to actually use it, check out Chapter 20 of the manual, around pp. 261-263. I couldn't really understand it yet, but it seems to be fairly automatic...I think...

ETA: The manual also seems to indicate that Reverse Telecine can automatically fix broken cadences.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Hebrides! I have to knock off like a hundred pages of Sinclair's 'The Jungle' tonight but hopefully I can read up on this and do a test later tonight (early morning? :smile:). I really hope this works because I can't make my E2 edit without the deleted scenes. Thankfully Mike Nichols' Attack of the Clones makes E2 watchable, but I have a few key changes in mind.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hot Diggity Dog.

I finally got a chance to attack this issue. Both Compressor and Cinema Tools seem to have Reverse Telecine capability. The help file for Cinema Tools was more forthcoming and proved to be a winner.

The most difficult part was trial and error, because the Capture Mode and Field Type is unknown, or at least I could not figure out any way to discern it. I had to use trial and error, with an educated guess as to which setting to use as my starting point (Field 1 only). Fortunately, the 3rd combination seems to have hit the mark! Now I just need to run through the scenes I'm using (and hope that they all had the same Capture Mode and Field Type!)

Top Bottom