• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Random movie thoughts

I just remembered that 2024 is the year in which the infamous unreleased film The Day The Clown Cried might finally see the light of day in some form or another. I know that by all accounts it's supposed to be garbage, but I've had a morbid curiosity about this film for years now. I look forward to seeing what happens to this movie once June comes around.

I think X-Men 97 is going to harm Deadpool And Wolverine worse now with the praise it's getting.

After seeing how "awesome" the X-Men are in the show like Gambit, no one is going to give a shit about Memberberries for a crappy film series even more. And people are already getting sick of Ryan Reynolds' annoying shitck anyway from Netflix rejects.

I have the temptation to watch all of Tarantino's films in chronological order...along with anything tangentially related. The idea of going from Django to H8ful to From Dusk Till Dawn 3 is so delightfully stupid. I suppose going deep enough down the rabbithole I'd have to watch all of the Shaft films and every film featuring/mentioning Pai Mai.
I'd only count tangential movies if they could theoretically take place in the same universe as a canon movie, so Grindhouse spinoffs don't count, only because I don't want to watch Spy Kids.

It's such a complicated web... I was thinking of doing the same for George Romero's zombie films, but I can't sit through Day Of The Dead 2, and when you get to the Italian tangential spinoffs of Dawn Of The Dead I don't even know where to draw the line.

I suppose going deep enough down the rabbithole I'd have to watch all of the Shaft films and every film featuring/mentioning Pai Mai.
I'd only count tangential movies if they could theoretically take place in the same universe as a canon movie, so Grindhouse spinoffs don't count, only because I don't want to watch Spy Kids.
Oh, I'm so interested in the full rabbit hole list. I was not even aware that Spy Kids are a Grindhouse spinoff! Then again, I think I watched it only once in my life with half a brain (left)....
In any case, I am curious about the full in-universe canon + spinoffs list.

Oh, I'm so interested in the full rabbit hole list. I was not even aware that Spy Kids are a Grindhouse spinoff! Then again, I think I watched it only once in my life with half a brain (left)....
In any case, I am curious about the full in-universe canon + spinoffs list.
Okay so, Grindhouse introduces Machete as a fake trailer starring Danny Trejo, which then became a real movie. Danny Trejo plays the uncle in Spy Kids, and for whatever reason Robert Rodriguez decided to imply that both characters are actually the same character.

As for the rest of the rabbithole list, I'm working on it. It's really up to personal interpretation as to what is canon though.
Tarantino himself has stated that there are two separate universes for his films. Films such as Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are considered part of the "Real" universe, while films like Kill Bill are part of the "Movie" universe that are just fictional movies within the Real universe.

From Dusk Till Dawn is part of the Movie universe, so its sequels are too. However, FDTD features a reference to Desperado; someone uses the crotch gun in FDTD, which we see briefly in Desperado. Does this mean that Desperado is part of the Movie universe too? What if Desperado is Real, and FDTD simply features a Real weapon? Once you go far enough down the rabbithole, things get confusing, there's no confirmation for what counts as what. For the time being, I'm just going to disregard the universes when talking about tangential films, and treat everything as ambiguous canon.

I might also be disregarding the Elmore Leonard universe because I don't know much about it.

• Mind blown
Reactions: Mnm
Don't forget that time where QT directed Seth Gecko in an episode of ER.

Machete character was the uncle in Spy Kids!?! Wow, I really did not pay attention to those movies.

Seth Gecko in an episode of ER, whaaaaat!? OK, I'm going into a corner for a while, questioning everything...

Don't forget that time where QT directed Seth Gecko in an episode of ER.
Looking into this... Okay, I thought you meant Seth Gecko was actually in an episode lol, I'm not familliar with ER so I didn't realize Clooney was in it. Tarantino directing an episode complicates things nonetheless, as that means that the whole show would theoretically exist on my list. That's it. I'm already disregarding From Dusk Till Dawn The Series as its a retelling of the film, I'm going to go ahead and make a rule to disregard any TV shows. Although I've already added the Shaft TV series to the list...

Anyways, apparently Django Unchained features a cameo from its namesake, the 60's Django actor (for context, there was an influential western called Django in 1966, largely unrelated to the Tarantino film). Should the original Django be included? According to wikipedia, Unchained takes place pre-civil war, while original Django takes place after. It wouldn't make sense for the character to de-age by 50 years between films, so I don't think it should be treated as the same character, just a meta reference. Thus I don't think original Django should really be counted, unless I start counting every meta reference. I'm trying to base this after plausible connections, shared characters, shared family names, word of god, etc.

Also, apparently Django is in Million Ways To Die In The West. I don't know if this should be treated as a valid connection or just parody. Because if this counts, then I also have to include Back To The Future by proxy.

Back
Top Bottom