• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Bad Lieutenant (2009)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BadVsBad.jpg

Bad Lieutenant (1992) is an extraordinary movie. It is still controversial, shocking and remarkable. Harvey Keitel has never been better and his performance is a towering master-class in the art of acting.

Now a re-make of sorts hits the cinemas directed by Werner Herzog and this "version" is already controversial not because of what the movie shows but because of the bickering between the two directors.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (2009) draws on themes from Abel Ferrara's film. One major change from the original film was moving the setting from New York City to New Orleans. Herzog insists that the film is not a remake, saying, "It only has a corrupt policeman as the central character and that's about it."

At the Academy Awards in 2009, Herzog stated that he has never seen Ferrara's film, saying "I haven't seen it, so I can't compare it. It has nothing to do with it." Herzog stated, "I battled against the title from the first moment on" but added, "I can live with it, I have no problem with it at all. The title is probably a mistake, but so be it."

Abel Ferrara was quoted as saying "As far as remakes go, ... I wish these people would die in Hell. I hope they're all in the same streetcar, and it blows up."

When asked later for his response to Ferrara's statements, Herzog stated that he does not know who Ferrara is, saying "I've never seen a film by him. I have no idea who he is."

At a press conference at the Venice Film Festival after the film's premiere, Herzog said of Ferrara, "I would like to meet the man," and "I have a feeling that if we met and talked, over a bottle of whiskey, I should add, I think we could straighten everything out."

A review of Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans has this to say:

Abel Ferrara's anger is justified. The original Bad Lieutenant was an incredibly dark ride through one man's hell. This is more of a walk in a park. Keitel's depth of anger and frustration aren't approached here by Mr. Cage. I know he (Herzog) wasn't trying to make the same film as Ferrara, but there has to be a lot more pain involved if you're going to include the words "Bad Lieutenant" in the title.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All I know is, the trailer for the new one looked stupefyingly idiotic. Maybe that's the whole point, but it won't matter to me 'cause I won't be watching it. :)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
Abel Ferrara's anger is justified. The original Bad Lieutenant was an incredibly dark ride through one man's hell. This is more of a walk in a park. Keitel's depth of anger and frustration aren't approached here by Mr. Cage. I know he (Herzog) wasn't trying to make the same film as Ferrara, but there has to be a lot more pain involved if you're going to include the words "Bad Lieutenant" in the title.

-1- The article said that the movie is not like ferrara's and so not a remake.
-2- The article said it is not as good as Ferrara's movie.

So how the hell Ferrara's anger could be justified?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
TMBTM said:
So how the hell Ferrara's anger could be justified?
Sullying the name, I'm guessing.
Well, it will soon come a time where every words will already be used as title...!
:razz:

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Judging from Herzog's statements, it seems the title is purely the studio trying to cash in and bring fans of the film into the new one. Why they think a little film from nearly twenty years ago would help to bring in an audience is beyond me, but whatever, there's nothing either filmmaker can do about it. As far as I'm concerned, the film's called "Port of Call: New Orleans" and if I ever see the film, that's what I'll imagine seeing when the title comes up.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Nic Cage stagger around high and nude
/sarcasm.

the original is such a great film. It has so many disgustingly fantastic lines I still quote to my friends/brother such as "you got any coke in the car?", "you - show me your ass, you - show me how you **** a ****" and the always appropriate "gimme somethin to cook"
as far as memorable lines (at least for me) its right up there w/ donnie brasco and 80's ahnuld pictures.

come to think of it, I think I'll watch it again today :)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a great admirer of the original Bad Lieutenant (1992). I think it is an outstanding and challenging film. The performances are so authentic that at times it appears to be almost like a documentary.

Hearing about a re-make or sequel with Nicolas Cage as the lead certainly peaked my interest. I have a slight aversion to Nicolas Cage mainly because of the huge amount of trash he has been in. That is not to say he can't be good. His performances in Leaving Las Vegas (1995) and Wild At Heart (1990) are excellent.

So with an attempted open mind I made the effort to see "The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans". I only lasted about 20 minutes before losing interest and switching off.

The main reason this new take does not work is the lack of authenticity. It feels staged rather than being.

Cage is poor in the main role and his "bad back" acting and conspicuous drug taking is unconvincing.

Scenes are re-hashed without the impact and sincerity of the original. The scene where Cage stops a couple coming out of a club with the intention of stealing or using their drugs is a case in point. These are actors acting and acting badly. They are doing exactly the opposite to what the actors did in the original.

Maybe, Herzog needs to know who Ferrara is because one is by far the superior director.

I am left with the question why anyone would want to make another version of Bad Lieutenant? Without out those two words in the title, an informed audience would have slated this movie as a poor man's rip-off. With those words, this film only shows what a wonderful piece of Cinema the original still is.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
So with an attempted open mind I made the effort to see "The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans". I only lasted about 20 minutes before losing interest and switching off.

i made it to 35 minutes (in two attempts) before i got bored. the iguana stuff is pretty hilarious though. I know people have been slating old Nic but dear god Kilmer is worse; just farts around in the background with a bit of dialogue here and there not evening trying to disguise his boredom.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. But, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing is, Werner Herzog is not stupid. I have a suspicion that he knows exactly what he's doing here. Don't go into this with the mindset that you're watching a traditional Hollywood film. Go into this thinking that it's a giant rickroll aimed at the movie industry and their hard-on for worthless remakes. Think of Nicholas Cage as playing (whether he's aware of it or not) a ridiculous parody of himself. You'll enjoy it.

Top Bottom