• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spider-Man 4

Update

Hey Everyone! Quick update from Bryn: We've been EXTREMELY busy with production so I haven't had time to make a new update video but wanted to give a little text post as to what's happened since this update! if you want more frequent video updates I highly recommend checking out the ErikOnPaper channel, he's the director and is able to give a lot more insight since at this point aside from acting my main job is set building, costume design, and scheduling.

few things that changed that were mentioned in the last update: due to a change in her situation and a delay on our end: MANDI IS BACK as Black Cat!

The teaser got delayed partially so we could wait to film the black cat footage we needed for it with her, and now we're just waiting for a few elements of post to come back so we can render and upload it (at this point personally i can't tell you when that is i'm just waiting).

The other thing that changed is the Brynion channel/streaming has been pretty dormant, there was a few weeks where there was some downtime from Spidey4 and my job so I was able to stream semi regularly but between my job and Spidey4: I just don't really have time to stream sadly even though i really loved it and super appreciate all the people from here who came by to say hi, hopefully I'll be able to start doing it again someday soon.

Will try to get a new update video out in the near-ish future with all this in video form, thank you!

Some of the CG could do with a polish, and I'm still not convinced about their choice or look for Black Cat (which is cosplay cringe level), but everything else looks great and I still appreciate their ambition.

Surely, if anything they'd do Amazing Spiderman 3 (although the likelyhood of even that is questionable).
I'd rather that given the Raimi films got a proper conclusion whereas the Webb films are really left hanging.

I don't see why they wouldn't or shouldn't.
I'm... actually kind of with you on this, to be honest.
Like, an innocent fan project that's not making money off someone else's creation or work isn't really that bad, especially when it's a love letter to the original creators. But yeah, at the point of being an actual funded project? As far as I'm concerned, that's straight-up stealing someone else's IP they worked hard to create and making money off of it illegally. I know that may sound kinda sacrilegious, but it's how I feel.

But yeah, at the point of being an actual funded project? As far as I'm concerned, that's straight-up stealing someone else's IP they worked hard to create and making money off of it illegally.
Yeah, a little bit of fundraising to help pay for the cost of project-specific sets is maybe ok, but what you really don't want is someone going full Alec Peters and using the fundraising to pay for salaries or non-project-specific things like VFX software, studio space, cameras, or makeup.

I guess the line for me is drawn at profit. If you are only covering expenses to me that seems fine. But if you are making money off someone else's IP, that is just wrong. As it was pointed out, these things are passion projects, love letters... These are people who love these things so much that they want to take the time to show it and they want a good presentation.

The people who own the IP's should understand that this is your fanbase and these are the people who will support you and these are the people that will keep making you money in the long run. George Lucas understood this better than anyone and promoted the idea of fan films. It didn't seem to hurt him any LOL.

^ For me, the line isn't even profit, it's selling stuff. If people are so excited by what you're doing/done that they give you money on Patreon, for no reward whatsoever, I'm inclined to think that that's fine, and you should use that money any way you see fit, even on personal stuff entirely unrelated to the project. (So long as you don't make any false or misleading statements about said donations, of course!) But selling things directly and overtly related to someone else's IP, selling anything, even access to something as intangible as a newsletter or blog, or your name in the credits, is where things get unacceptable, IMO.

One interesting complication is criticism, as I know of a former AV Club writer who sells subscriptions to written Star Trek TV reviews on Patron. That's fine, I think, because criticism is inherently different from the IP it's discussing. And I also believe in wide latitude being afforded to parody, even very specific and unmistakably inspired works such as Galaxy Quest, so long as the parody has the integrity of making up its own names and taking place in its own universe. (Galaxy Quest is really the gold standard of parody in that regard, especially given that it takes place in the "real world," unlike the theoretically real, but really wholly fictional, alternate/future timeline of Trek.) Same goes for obvious rip-offs that are just different enough to be their own thing, like Batman stealing Zorro's shtick, albeit in a different time and setting. But fan art, fan films, and anything that doesn't differentiate itself from the main IP - once you go there, you lose the prerogative to sell anything, and everything you make has to be available to everyone, or nobody. (Until the IP itself hits the public domain, of course, and then it's full steam ahead to Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey!)

TL; DR:
saying "I'm maybe making a Spider-Man fan film, please give me money, which I may or may not use for said film which I may or may not even complete": iffy, but okay. Saying "please give me money so I can make this particular Spider-Man fan film, and if I get [x] donations, I promise to finish said project": not okay.

Updates on filming and the future of High Mountain's channel

Relevant Spider-Man 4 Info: 0:00-3:12

I'm inclined to agree with Lantern here. As long as you're only covering the expenses of what you're making and the finished product remains free, it's okay. You should really only fund the bare minimum. For example, IFSCL is a Code Lyoko fangame that is 100% free but they had a fundraiser so they could cover the cost of hiring the original voice actors from the show. That's okay in my book. Actors aren't free, so the money had to come from somewhere.

New update coming shortly...but first....our first look at Wilson Fisk!

Eric's latest update, with more scenes of Peter and Felicia, lots of footage of Kingpin interacting with Felicia and Eric in the role of Smythe.

Any idea when this is going to be released? It looks really fantastic for a special effects heavy fan film

Back
Top Bottom