• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Marvel Cinematic Universe

X-Men casting idea, hear me out:

Keith David as Professor Charles Xavier
Denzel Washington as Eric Magnus

Instead of the Holocaust, Magneto would in this version have lived through the Civil Rights movement as a child. Is it too on the nose? Cause I think it would be a perfect update and would help distance it from comparison to the Fox X-Men. Keith David's voice alone is iconic and he could turn out a great dramatic performance but carry comedy as well. And Denzel played Malcolm X, again probably on the nose but his presence brings the gravitas Magneto needs to be taken seriously.

Hire me, Kevin.

Last edited:
Instead of the Holocaust....
No, just no.

Eric's Holocaust backstory is integral to his character, you can't just copy and paste another backstory and act like it would work. Because then you're not adapting Magneto. You're just making an OC with vague similar traits at that point.

Though Keith David as Xavier is interesting

No, just no.

Eric's Holocaust backstory is integral to his character, you can't just copy and paste another backstory and act like it would work. Because then you're not adapting Magneto. You're just making an OC with vague similar traits at that point.

Though Keith David as Xavier is interesting
I understand your concern, I think Magneto as a Jewish refugee of the Holocaust is powerful, but in 2023 it's impractical for him to have experienced the Holocaust if he's alive and active in the present, due simply to the immense amount of time since the real life event. Something will have to change, no doubt. I'm just guessing what it will be, and my guess is they will change everything, keeping only a thematically relevant core of the character, someone who saw great pain inflicted on marginalized people, by "normal" people, at an early point in their life, and then finds themselves marginalized in yet a new way (as a mutant) at a mid point in their life. And now in the present finds themselves a leader.

To have survived WW2 the character would need to be over 100 and given the literal exact same "awakening in modern day still young" story as Captain America. I just don't think Marvel would de-age him on screen just so he could exist, showing that someone can just do that with simple powers or an item would be really out of nowhere. Even using the time travel accident that aged and de aged Scott would be really random.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying I don't think that's what the MCU will do. I don't think they'll use my idea either but I think it sounds plausible enough like something that they'd do.

Last edited:
I understand your concern, I think Magneto as a Jewish refugee of the Holocaust is powerful, but in 2023 it's impractical for him to have experienced the Holocaust if he's alive and active in the present, due simply to the immense amount of time since the real life event. Something will have to change, no doubt. I'm just guessing what it will be, and my guess is they will change everything, keeping only a thematically relevant core of the character, someone who saw great pain inflicted on marginalized people, by "normal" people, at an early point in their life, and then finds themselves marginalized in yet a new way (as a mutant) at a mid point in their life. And now in the present finds themselves a leader.

To have survived WW2 the character would need to be over 100 and given the literal exact same "awakening in modern day still young" story as Captain America. I just don't think Marvel would de-age him on screen just so he could exist, showing that someone can just do that with simple powers or an item would be really out of nowhere. Even using the time travel accident that aged and de aged Scott would be really random.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying I don't think that's what the MCU will do. I don't think they'll use my idea either but I think it sounds plausible enough like something that they'd do.
They can just simply say "Magneto ages slower" as a secondary mutation. Have him be like 60 when a human be 90.

They can just simply say "Magneto ages slower" as a secondary mutation. Have him be like 60 when a human be 90.
They could for sure, there are a lot of ways a writer could wave away the time. I just think they'll reinvent and update some things about the characters instead.

Mostly I think the focus will be on differentiating themselves from the old Fox movies, so I think anything that appeared in them is fair game to expect change.

Again, just speculating for fun though.

The problem with "he ages slower" hand waving is that the actor definitely doesn't age slower, so you have to explain why he starts aging normally immediately after his first on-screen appearance, or you only get to have him for one movie.

The problem with "he ages slower" hand waving is that the actor definitely doesn't age slower, so you have to explain why he starts aging normally immediately after his first on-screen appearance, or you only get to have him for one movie.
Or cast Keanu Reeves.

Wolverine ages slower as well, and much slower that the...
like 60 when a human be 90.
...mentioned earlier, and no one seems to mind Hugh Jackman continuing to play him.

Eric's Holocaust backstory is integral to his character
The genocide backstory is integral. There's been plenty of genocides since the holocaust that, while not on the same scale, have been equally horrific. Magneto could easily be reimagined as a Bosnian, or even a Cambodian Viet or a Tutsi. As long as he was a member of a race that was deamonised persecuted and eventually exterminated, he's still the same character.
Marvel probably will go with him just aging slower, but that can only last so long until he's a 300 year old who's just never managed to accomplish anything towards his goal up until this point. Eventually he'll have to change.

I don't know much about Marvels, haven't seen the trailer yet. But hear me out, what if Marvels introduces Marvel Girl, AKA Jean Grey?

I don't know much about Marvels, haven't seen the trailer yet. But hear me out, what if Marvels introduces Marvel Girl, AKA Jean Grey?
Doubt it, most mutant thing they may do is have Kamala get her comic stretching powers as a secondary mutation

There's three already and Kamala is officially as of a post credits scene on her show unrelated to the main plot...
revealed to be a mutant (instead of as she is in the comics, an Inhuman, which the MCU does not want to touch)
so I don't think they even "need" Jean Grey to be Marvel Girl. The current Miss Marvel name with the character portrayed at the ambiguously "young adult" age kind of makes the idea of a Marvel Girl version of Jean redundant.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOLUME 3

Frakking fantastic! James Gunn delivers!
When you blubber and cry repeatedly over the fate of a CGI character, you know the director is doing something very right.
An incredible Third Act and for me, the most emotionally satisfying Marvel movie since EndGame. :love:(y)(y)(y)

Wasn't too impressed and I think I've had enough of Gunn already.

In general, the whole thing is based on the beloved heroes but you can feel the fatigue of the material. The tearful and turbo-predictable plot of pets didn't particularly move me, the villain wasn't very interesting, and Warlock... I don't know why he had to appear here at all, and the plot of Quill-Gamora does not lead to anything interesting. The humor is hit and miss, and the music is the weakest of the series. To make matters worse, the third act is a overlong, boring at times with a flash in the form of a nice fight in the corridor (the finale of the second movies was similar in this respect, so no surprises). Worst of all, I didn't feel like the ending was some kind of natural outcome of what we saw, it had the feeling of "Okay, party's over, see ya." Oh well...

So it's kind of cool, but not too much, although still better than most of the post-endgame MCU, but I had a better time watching second Strange.

6-7/10, we'll see after rewatch.

PS. and I dont want Gunn anywhere near Superman :/

The genocide backstory is integral. There's been plenty of genocides since the holocaust that, while not on the same scale, have been equally horrific. Magneto could easily be reimagined as a Bosnian, or even a Cambodian Viet or a Tutsi. As long as he was a member of a race that was deamonised persecuted and eventually exterminated, he's still the same character.
Marvel probably will go with him just aging slower, but that can only last so long until he's a 300 year old who's just never managed to accomplish anything towards his goal up until this point. Eventually he'll have to change.
Wasn't there a report that Magneto will potentially be a survivor of Rwanda?

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)

Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_Vol._3_poster.jpg

IMHO, Vol. 3 is mediocre, not only easily the least of the trilogy, but one of the lesser MCU movies, period. (In terms of personal preference, it probably makes it into my bottom five, ahead of only Black Widow, Quantumania and Captain Marvel.) I figured we were in for a rough ride when, right after being told one of our heroes was on the verge of death, requiring a quest to rescue, only for another pop song to fire up in the cockpit, and while things didn't exactly get worse from there, they didn't get too much better, either.

I don't mind dark subject matter (the animal experimentation scenes didn't bother me), but in this case I found the darkness/wacky humor balance to be off. I don't love Vol. 1, but in that movie, Drax worked as a primarily funny character despite his tragic past because said past was only discussed. We didn't see flashbacks of him meeting his wife, his kid being born, his wife and kid being killed, him attending their funeral, etc. Well, in this movie, we do see stuff comparable to that, and the whole plot is one big race to save a life. This clashes with Gunn's oddball characters and wacky banter, which itself is not as fresh or funny as it was during the gang's last outing six whole years ago. What's more, the movie is overlong, the action climax isn't particularly involving or spectacular, and, as Gieferg noted, the character arcs are fairly limited.

In conclusion, I'll have fun with Vol. 2 again, but I don't see myself revisiting this one. Turns out the best Guardians movie of the year by far stars Chris Pine.

Vol. 1: B
Vol. 2: B+
Vol. 3: C

Last edited:
Werewolf by Night (2022)

Werewolf_by_Night_%28TV_special%29_poster.jpg

I very much liked the mini-movie, but didn't like how the cutesy last scene (which was fine in of itself, though I wish they'd gone with a less distractingly iconic sendoff song) utterly ruined the Halloween mood. You can't do a tonal swerve like that and then go back to a spooky end credits sequence, and expect the ambiance not to break like a dropped egg. If anything, that last scene should have come after the credits, but I'd have been fine with omitting it entirely.

Other than that, tons of fun, no notes.

Spooky season is nearly over, but I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to do a fan edit of Werewolf by Night (the B&W original, of course!) that removes the overly sappy, color coda? :)

Look at this! It's like the Netflix era never ended. My hopes for Daredevil's return have risen substantially.

Back
Top Bottom