• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Will this be the designated Quantumania discussion thread? I've just seen it and I have some thoughts... genuinely can't wait to get my hands on it and to start cutting!

Will this be the designated Quantumania discussion thread? I've just seen it and I have some thoughts... genuinely can't wait to get my hands on it and to start cutting!
Probably. Gonna be seeing it tomorrow. Fully expecting it to be like Black Widow, an ok films with a character butchering so horrendous that it taints the rest of the film lol.

Probably. Gonna be seeing it tomorrow. Fully expecting it to be like Black Widow, an ok films with a character butchering so horrendous that it taints the rest of the film lol.
I wouldn't say it butchers any characters, it's just a messy story that tries to do a lot. Personally I'd rank it higher than Black Widow and Ant-Man and The Wasp. It's a 7/10, carried by some really strong performances.

Saw Quantumania onight.

Overall I enjoyed it.

Pros:

Jonathan Majors killed it as Kang as expected haha. Dude commanded presence in every scene he was in.

The Quantum Realm looked great, loved the 50's feel of it all.

Cons:

MODOK. Yes Virginia, This MODOK Was Absolute Shit. Admittingly it did taint my enjoyment of the film. Though I think he could be edited out........

The story moved a bit too fast for me. Ending also had obvious signs of post-production editing.

Overall, I'd say it would be a 8/10............except for Darren. That just brings it down to a 6/10.

Not as bad as the critics say it was. (Definitely better than Eternals)

Did anyone see the new poster for The Marvels? It's been delayed to November 10, 2023, the date initially given for the new Blade. Blade is obviously being delayed as well but there's been no announcement about when it could hit theaters.

Personally, I think this is great news. We still get three MCU movies this year; Ant-Man & the Wasp in February, Guardians Vol. 3 in May, and The Marvels in November. And they're definitely cutting down on Disney+ shows, with Loki season 2 coming this summer (June 9th) and Secret Invasion later this year being the only two shows Kevin Fiege has confirmed for 2023, though I'm sure there will be another series in the winter, maybe just What If...? season 2.

I know Secret Invasion needs to come out before The Marvels, so the delay makes perfect sense. That places Secret Invasion in a mid-late August or early September release. Also, per story leaks and rumors, IronHeart has to come out before Agatha: Coven of Chaos, both shows were initially slated for 2023. Maybe IronHeart gets a December release? But there's still a rumored Fall release for X-Men '97, and possibly another Halloween and/or Christmas themed Special Presentation. However this all shakes out, I think slowing down and focusing on quality of quantity is the right path for Marvel Studios.

I saw Quantumania last night and it was definitely my favorite movie since Endgame, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement since everything else has been pretty bad.

I think some parts of the movie moved a little too quickly, but really all I would do in a fanedit is maybe add some deleted scenes back in and move the Kang flashback sequence the movie opens with to the middle where we get the rest of it from Janet's retelling. I think this was the original placement because having it jammed in before Scott's opening walk (which mirrors his last scene) felt like a studio note that it takes too long to get to the bad guy.

My only other observations are the MODOK looked terrible, but less terrible in motion than he did in the still images I had seen, and that I don't think Bill Murray was ever on set with anyone else. I'm pretty sure he was composited in later. Nobody ever interacted directly with him, and most reaction shots to what he says are cut away from the wide shot, I assume to fix timing.

Endgame idea.

There is apparently a plot hole where Paul Rudd is trying to get to the Quantum Van, yet Giant Ant Man is fighting. Some have suggested this is Hank. Some have suggested more time shenanigans. But I present a new theory.

Who's van is it originally? And who in Ant Man and the Wasp (Ant Man 2) asked for his own suit? The answer to these questions is the answer to who is playing Giant Man in this battle.

It's Luis.

The other superheroes brought their friends. Why not Ant Man too?

So, the fanedit idea. The few times Giant Man is shown, it would support the idea if we heard Michael Pena rambling to himself about something or narrating what he's doing. It would not have to take focus from the scene or even be particularly audible to what he's saying, as long as you recognize the voice when you see him. This is obviously not enough for a fan edit on its own, so throwing the idea out there for someone else to tack onto their bigger edit idea.

Maybe to sell it you'd need a shot of his face, so after a shot showing him from afar, I would construct a close-up. I would use footage from one of the short closeups of Ant Man's face in his helmet, like after he gets big and laughs in Civil War. Then try to motion track it and match a short close-up shot of Michael Pena's face to it. Then mask the eye holes of the mask out to show Pena's eyes in the footage layer underneath, and overlay some matching red at a partial transparency to help blend the new footage in the eyeholes. Lastly finish off the shot with audio of him whooping in celebration in some way, excited to be here.

Last edited:
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

Ant-Man_and_the_Wasp_Quantumania_poster.jpg

I love the MCU as a whole, and I love the first two Ant-People flicks in particular, so it gives me no pleasure at all to state that Quantumania is perhaps the franchise's weakest film to date. I wouldn't call it bad, per se, and I enjoyed it more than Captain Marvel and Black Widow, but not by much, and both those movies are better (albeit modestly) as individual works of art. (Well, Black Widow is, at least.) Without a captivating performance by Jonathan Majors, the movie would be bad, because, unlike Thanos, Kang doesn't have any discernible ideology or goal except to be King of Everything. Meanwhile, the Quantum Realm setting takes a lot of the fun out of the gang's shrinking/growing power set, as we don't have real-world objects to compare sizes with.

Overall, the movie didn't present much that hadn't already been conveyed by the Loki S1 finale. It definitely isn't blah enough to sour me on Phase Five, much less the MCU going forward as a whole, but it's an unfortunate and rare misstep in Feige's opus, and a script this lacking in dramatic interest or narrative invention should never have been given the green light.

Grade: C+

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

Ant-Man_and_the_Wasp_Quantumania_poster.jpg

a script this lacking in dramatic interest or narrative invention should never have been given the green light.

Grade: C+
I guess that the MCU as a whole should have never been greenlit then... 😅

Majors was quickly becoming one of my favorite actors after seeing him in The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Ant-Man Quantumania, Devotion, and Creed 3 all in a short time period. If this is true, as well as the other scuttlebutt that's come out of social media, it'd be such a waste of a great acting talent.

Victims often recant, especially if they are pressured or paid off by someone with money and a lot to lose. Until the video footage of the car ride is released it's he said/she said. Also, it's not unheard of for the abuser to call the police to try and control the narrative when they know they messed up.

Domestic abuse is a terrible thing and discussion of such can be very triggering for those who have sadly experienced it. For the sake of our community's protection, let's leave the discussion and updates on the legal side of this situation for the news and social media outlets. Thank you for your understanding.

*John Boyega warily eyes his phone*

😬

Charles Parnell (The Last Ship, Top Gun: Maverick) could also be a potential replacement:

url-https-cdn-vox-cdn-com-thumbor-Ra-KHexsw-les41c-UDSDI3gc-Ouf-Vk-0x0-3840x1607-3840x1607-filters-fo.webp

New "Marvels" teaser makes me seriously considering not watching MCU anymore after "GOTG3"...
So bad it hurts.

New "Marvels" teaser makes me seriously considering not watching MCU anymore after "GOTG3"...
So bad it hurts.
The content seems to be generally mediocre stuff we've come to expect, but the CGI compositing is some of the laziest, most amateur shit I've ever seen, let alone in blockbuster film. And a reminder, Gravity came out 10 years ago!!!

Back
Top Bottom