• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Disney planning to buy Fox

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Zarius said:
I noticed that they removed the FOX Fanfare from the banner that precedes official downloads of their tv shows, at least on the SKY box I use.

That's a shame. Which shows? Do they use a Disney or Touchstone or ABC Studios logo instead?

The FOX logo is still there, just the fanfare is gone. That appeared to be the case on the recent Orville episodes I'd downloaded

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been ages since this thread was updated, but a pretty big news bombshell dropped yesterday: Disney is dropping "Fox" from the division's name, rebranding as "20th Century Studios" and "Searchlight Pictures."

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/disney-dropping-fox-20th-century-studios-1203470349/

I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise at all, but after all the hoops that the studios jumped through to rebrand the TV outlets (the ones that weren't part of the merger) as "New Fox," I thought the reasoning was Disney's intent to also keep the name instead of just the library.

At that rate, why not just call it "21st Century Studios," since the newly formed division came into being during this century, and will no longer even have any nominal ties with the studio that William Fox founded in 1935?

It's actually a slight step up from what I imagined, as it was possible that Disney would take the assets it wanted (Star Wars, X-Men, Simpsons) and simply close up shop on the Fox division after the few films that were already too far along in production wrapped up. Apparently, they're still keeping the division active in some sense, probably for R-rated movies like potential new installments in the Alien and Die Hard franchises. (Deadpool 3 is also reportedly in the works.) Since Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures have all but vanished from the face of the planet, this seems like the likely new outlet for such fare. 

At any rate, it is what it is. It's a little sad, but it was also sad for me when Hasbro stopped putting "Kenner" on Star Wars action figures. But Hasbro had already bought Kenner several years prior, so it didn't really matter. The new name just acknowledges what we already know happened.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's ironic that when FOX and 20th Century merged in the 1930s the last film prior to the merger for 20th was an adaptation of Call of the Wild, and now the first film of the new studio name will also be Call of the Wild.  As Lucas would say, "it's poetry, it rhymes."

Top Bottom