• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Muppets From Space - I used to think this was one of the better Muppet movies, but watching it again recently has made me think otherwise. Laughs and smiles were provoked occasionally, but it's generally pretty average, lacking in original songs and focusing a bit too much on Gonzo, with not enough screen time for the rest of the Gang.

Phantom of the opera (1943) - Slow and clunky, this was robbed of any form of suspense by the overuse of music, as well as Comic Relief in the form of an unbearable love triangle. I quite enjoyed the setup, but most of it just had me yawning. The colour is stunning, but seems somewhat out of place. I'd be interested to see a black and white edit with some heavy trimming

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Searchers (1956):
This movie is iconic and has beautiful scenery, but I couldn't help but feel a little saddened by the bigoted presentation of the Comanche Nation as I watched it this time.
Fun side note: I finally realized that Martin Polly is Christopher Pike from the ST:OS pilot The Cage.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dog Day Afternoon - Witty, gripping and inevitably tragic. Great performances from both Pacino and Cazale. An excellent movie. Practically flawless.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
American Made. Cruise just can’t bring himself to portray a character the audience doesn’t like. And the movie suffers for it.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Dog Day Afternoon - Witty, gripping and inevitably tragic. Great performances from both Pacino and Cazale. An excellent movie. Practically flawless.

There are so many great Sidney Lumet movies but this is one of the best, Prince of the City, Network, The Hill and of course Twelve Angry Men. The guy was still making good films in his 80's absolutely one of the greats, his films didn't have any obvious signature visual style unlike Depalma or kubrick, but he's definitely one of my favourite directors.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spectre [2015] - Having the film tie together the previous 3 films - plus being able to use some iconic Bond references - probably looked better on paper. The film certainly harkens back to Bond of yore, with more exotic locations and a liberal use of fan service, but there isn't a great deal of substance to this stylish entry. Waltz does well as the villain, but the plot should have given him more to work with, frankly. As Craig could have easily walked away after this film (it looks as though the producers/screenwriters thought he would), it'll be interesting to see where Bond 25 will take his character next.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2018)

This will get a full review later. Excellent film, absolutely worth seeing. I'm not sure if I like it more than In Bruges, but it's a far better film than Seven Psychopaths. Typical themes from McDonagh: Death, the afterlife, midgets... The usual

I already want to see it again... But I may wait until my local independent cinema has quietened down a bit, so I can take it in without a large audience around me.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Three Billboards, simultaneously moving, funny, engrossing, fascinating and pretty much everything you go to movies for. Loved In Bruges,  Seven Psychopaths meh, McDonagh back on top form with this though didn't want it to end.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Three Billboards, simultaneously moving, funny, engrossing, fascinating and pretty much everything you go to movies for. Loved In Bruges,  Seven Psychopaths meh, McDonagh back on top form with this though didn't want it to end.

I saw three billboards today. 

One was a car advertisement, one was for a new perfume and the other was a poster for a film called "Three Billboards...".

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anti Matter.  Not particularly well made, but interesting story idea.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse - Hadn't seen since it came out in '05 and I thought it was a very odd misfire back then. Seeing it now, I really appreciated the cerebral brilliance of the script, taking place across two planes of existence. It's still a problem that they want you to really laugh, at the same time as you are wrapping your head round their puzzle. 16-minutes of deleted scenes? Hmmm.

Icarus - US Documentarian making a film about doping, accidentally finds himself at the center of the whole Russian sport cheating conspiracy. I couldn't believe how much inside info the film has. Not to be missed, up for an Oscar and on Netflix already.

The Man with the Iron Heart - Horribly muddled mess of a film about Himmler's right hand man. The cast are fine, the characters and story are interesting but the way it's structured is awful. Like two different films crashed into each other in the middle... or a lot of footage was cut somewhere? The brilliant Mia Wasikowska is wasted, almost an extra. Watch 'Anthropoid' instead.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had somehow never bothered to check out Shawshank.

I finally did.

Very good.

But a bit too long.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghost (1990)
The wife's choice, still holds up pretty well I thought and PS no longer being with us does add a bit extra poignancy. When I originally saw it I thought it did a good job of juggling different genres and still do.

It also occurred to me its been a very long time since we've had a movie thats a pop/culture touchstone like this was. There was loads in the 80s and 90s Top Gun, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, The Bodyguard etc dominating both the box office and music charts that had both male and female appeal. The last one I can think of is Titanic 20 years ago.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm on an Awards-Season binge at the moment...

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore - While this isn't in quiet the same league as 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri', if you've seen that and want another hit of transgressive black-humour then this will satisfy that craving. Many real laugh out loud moments when the film goes places you aren't expecting.

The Post - I almost think Spielberg is even better at dense, dialogue-heavy political thrillers, than he is at the family-friendly roller-coaster blockbusters that initially made his name. 'Bridge of Spies', 'Lincoln', 'Munich' are among his finest ever films and 'The Post' is the best of them. He makes it look so easy and John Williams' score is terrific. Streep, Hanks and Odenkirk shine.

Strong Island - Intense Documentary showing the emotional devastation to an African-American family when the killer of their son/brother literally gets away with his murder, with the full cooperation of the authorities at all levels. Directed by the victim's real-life sister Yance Ford.

Heroin(e) - A 39-minute short Documentary about various women trying to improve the drug situation in their town. The fire-chief, a Judge and a true Christian share their surprisingly positive attitudes in the face of such odds.

The Big Sick - A few seemingly unlikely lines and story elements in this rom-com felt false to me, so I was almost annoyed to discover when the end credits rolled that it was a true story based on the life of it's lead actor and his wife. Couldn't they have told me that at the start! It starts off very by-the-numbers but takes a sudden left-turn narratively and keeps on taking them. From then on, it get really unique and interesting.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday I watched Hellboy, and this morning I watched Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
Both films were amazing, I think I preferred 2, but 1 isn't bad. Truly wonderful though. If you haven't seen them, think Lord of the Rings esque fantasy with a superhero movie. But that doesn't really do it justice.
I just picked up the video game tie in because I loved the films so much.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lady Bird - Wonderful acting by the entire cast. Story fairly predictable, but still enjoyable. Would watch again.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inglourious Basterds
This ones at the lower end of QT''s filmography for me with his other recent offerings. There's a few great scenes but much like H8 a lot of scenes do 'go on a bit' and as a whole its not as satisfying as his best work.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Charade [1963]

A witty and clever spy caper with shades of Hitchcock and James Bond (Maurice Binder even did the titles). Great cast all round - Grant, Hepburn, Coburn, Matthau, Kennedy... Perfect lazy Sunday afternoon film.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
Charade [1963]

A witty and clever spy caper with shades of Hitchcock and James Bond (Maurice Binder even did the titles). Great cast all round - Grant, Hepburn, Coburn, Matthau, Kennedy... Perfect lazy Sunday afternoon film.

I remember seeing that years back and quite enjoying it. I should check it out again sometime.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Garp said:
Charade [1963]

I remember seeing that years back and quite enjoying it. I should check it out again sometime.

It's in Public Domain, so I cast it to my TV through YouTube. It looked fine, on the whole, though blu-ray versions are available.

Top Bottom