• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

If you enjoyed Wyatt Earp, and are interested in other Earp films, I highly recommend the following:

TOMBSTONE (1993)
HOUR OF THE GUN (1967)
GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (1957)
MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946)
(y)

What about Doc (1971)?

My long weekend Western watch continues...

THE SONS OF KATE ELDER (1965) -- a rip roaring score by Elmer Bernstein is one of many fun highlights of this old school Western. While the Duke was too old for the part, it does not matter, as he rules every scene he is in. This is a solid piece of entertainment with just the right amounts of character, humour, action and pathos.

THE COWBOYS (1972) -- This film has beautiful lyrical moments interrupted by some very dark and disturbing violence. An emotionally rich Coming Of Age/Loss of Innocence story that chokes me up every time I watch. Easily in my Top Ten of John Wayne Westerns. Highly Recommended.

What? That was something people said for years (all the way up to Nemesis), and as far as I know everyone always meant all of the even ones, not just 2 and 4. Otherwise they would have said 2 and 4. I've also still heard people jokingly say it's true if you count Galaxy Quest as #10.
  1. The Motion Picture (bad)
  2. The Wrath of Khan (good)
  3. The Search for Spock (bad)
  4. The Voyage Home (good)
  5. The Final Frontier (bad)
  6. The Undiscovered Country (good)
  7. Generations (bad)
  8. First Contact (good)
  9. Insurrection (bad)
  10. Galaxy Quest (good)
  11. Nemesis (bad)
  12. Star Trek (2009) (good)
  13. Into Darkness (bad)
  14. Beyond (good)
I think this is common consensus (though the "evens are the good ones" was mostly aimed at the Original Cast films).

The whole odd/even Star Trek movie thing is ridiculous. Each movie has different strengths and weaknesses. And it also comes down to one’s personal history with the franchise and what you want from it.

For example: TVH is probably the biggest mainstream hit of the original cast movies and I can understand why. But for me, it is a frustrating watch as our heroes are turned into out of character bumblers just to sell a laugh.

Or with TUC, as much as I love the Kirk storyline, I find the whole shipboard mystery investigation and entrapment of Valeris to be idiotic filler.

On the flip side, TSFS is for me, the most rewarding Trek movie in terms of character relationships.
That said, I'm totally with Bob. I f'n hate Star Trek 4, and while 6 is better than 5, neither is particularly good. Pick any TNG two-part story at that time and it'd put those films to shame. For me, ST 123 is the trilogy, and that's it.

Now the question is: which ST 1 fanedit? :)

Arthur The King (2024) A heart-felt emotional journey, based off a true story about a racer and a mans best friend.

Really well done, it was a really good movie.
(7/10) I didn't care for all the vulgar language but still a great movie.

Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel (2011)

A fun documentary celebrating the life of Roger Corman and the alums who worked with him. The only disappointment I have is that Francis Ford Coppola is surprisingly absent, and he was one of his most acclaimed students (I wonder if Corman's comments on Star Wars have anything to do with it, since Coppola was friends with Lucas), but with that exception, I'm glad I watched this, and it's a nice tribute to the king of the B's. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to learn more about movies.

Best Worst Movie (2009)

Same story as Corman's World. A nice, fun documentary that is fantastic except for the lack of a notable figure. In this case, it's Deborah Reed. The lady who played the Goblin queen is nowhere to be found in this documentary. She had the most infamously bad performance in Troll 2, so it's bewildering that there isn't a single interview with her through the entire film. Other than that disappointment, this is a nice, humble, and surprisingly sweet little documentary about the fandom surrounding one of the most unintentionally hilarious films ever made. Also highly recommended, especially if you're a Troll 2 survivor yourself.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem (2023)
The animation was the best part of the show. I did fall asleep a few times. Wasn't a huge fan of the story or the way characters were reimagined. This was better than the Michael bay turtle movies, but it was pretty much the same level of absurdity. Not really a kids show either so I probably won't be returning to this one again. 5.5/10

GODZILLA X KONG: NEW EMPIRE
Much like GvsK, this is really Kong's movie. But this time around, Godzilla's role, while very vital, is smaller. There is a greater attempt at world building than last time, a bit more meat on script bone, but for some reason, I had less fun this time around compared to the last two outings. This one might be aimed more at the die hard Showa era Kaiju fan? I dunno. The CGI and titanic clashes are on par with the previous entries, though I found the score to be unmemorable. In fact, I doubt I will remember much about this movie at all after a week or two. Maybe I was in the wrong mood for this tale of titans. In the end, I just found it to be fine —a popcorn light distraction.

Last edited:
Wish (2023)
.....I wish I could have the time back that as spent watching this. Even my kids didn't care for it. Never thought I'd say I would have ereather watched Frozen.....bad....

Easter Films:

The Tragedy of Man (2011)
This is the longest animated film ever, and also in the record books for production time, happening in fits and starts over 23 years. The various segments are all in different styles and that part is fascinating. I wasn't so much a fan of the constant Judeo-Christian propagandizing/philosophizing though.

Critters 4 (1992)
Technically a better-directed and better-acted film than either Critters 2 or 3, but it's just not much fun. A big part of that is that it's mostly a generic Sci-Fi film with almost no critters!

DUNE PART 2:

Better than Part 1, rushed ending, V good!.
The use of "guys" twice "and "mind your own business" than a more neutral 10,000 years in the future...treally?
plus, "that's not of your concern", were the only things that pulled me out....OH..."foreigners"....off worlders or some other phrase would have been better...
OSCAR for Badiem defo

This is the longest animated film ever,
I'm pretty sure there's a couple anime films that are longer. The wikipedia page for this mentions that it's the longest animated film in the western world, maybe that's the source of confusion.

^I've seen that. I'm hard-pressed to name any longer anime. I think the problem is that anime is almost always serialized, but then frequently later collected. So for example, I have a "movie" of the classic anime OVA Casshan which is 1h53m long.... only not really, because that's actually a compilation film of the 4 episodes that were released separately. Most gaijin writing about Eastern animation don't know the release history of these, so it's hard to sort out what should actually be considered the film release or what's an original, etc. Hence, you see the qualifier "Western" but you don't see anyone saying that this or that "Eastern" film is actually the longest ever. I don't think anyone knows.

It's been weeks since I watched, but I can't stop thinking about Poor Things.
Fantastic movie.

^I've seen that. I'm hard-pressed to name any longer anime. I think the problem is that anime is almost always serialized, but then frequently later collected. So for example, I have a "movie" of the classic anime OVA Casshan which is 1h53m long.... only not really, because that's actually a compilation film of the 4 episodes that were released separately. Most gaijin writing about Eastern animation don't know the release history of these, so it's hard to sort out what should actually be considered the film release or what's an original, etc. Hence, you see the qualifier "Western" but you don't see anyone saying that this or that "Eastern" film is actually the longest ever. I don't think anyone knows.
(Just going off of wikipedia for now, so please correct me if I'm wrong)
I get what you mean, there are a fair share of compilation films. For a while the longest animated film was cited as Final Yamato, this was the case last time I looked into the topic. It's a little iffy for me though, as it only refers to a specific cut of the movie. The current #1 spot is "In This Corner (And Other Corners) Of The World", which again only refers to a specific extended cut so it's also iffy for me. At the very least, there's "The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya" which as far as I can tell is not any sort of compilation or extended cut.
Not that any of this matters, and I'm not just trying to correct you, I'm just really fascinated by the topic of long animated films. I'm really curious to check out The Tragedy Of Man at some point.

At the very least, there's "The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya" which as far as I can tell is not any sort of compilation or extended cut.
Interesting. I know about this one of course, but I had assumed it was the 2nd season compilation. It has different directors for each episodes and distinct separate arcs. I looked it up and apparently it WAS produced as a 7-episode series, with separate scripts and animation teams for each episode, but then they just decided to capitalize on the popularity of the show and release it as a film instead (after cutting some scenes for length). So...does it count? I guess yeah, technically?

Corner Office - I heard about this movie around the time I was finishing Mad Men, so of course I felt the need to buy it as soon as I found it at Walmart (and proceed to not watch it until now). It's hard to articulate my thoughts, but ultimately I found it somewhat empty, not doing enough with its ideas.
On a whim I pulled up a random review for it on youtube, just to see what the comments had to say. The comments ranged from "I wasted my time watching this movie" to "This is not a bad movie. It's a psychological movie. Not everyone can understand it". Lots of simple "I loved this movie!" without explanation. Most interesting was the people who found it to be a relatable portrait of what it's like living with a mental illness, which I can kinda get. I don't know. I'm kinda curious to look into the story it's based on.
I saw a synopsis calling it a workplace comedy like Office Space, which is not at all what this is.

Tombstone (1993) Very action packed but cheasy dialogue and subpar storytelling. The third act is especially cheesy. Still a fun action film though, but definitely not as heartfelt as 1994's Wyatt Earp.

Godzilla x Kong- The New Empire
I had an absolute blast. So many Showa references & I'm sure I'll catch even more on future viewings.
Not everything worked for me, but fortunately they're minor things that I can change.

Back
Top Bottom