• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Naked Lunch is such a cool little cult film! Amazing visual realization of some of Burroughs' most out-there ideas.

That Thing You Do! (1996 - Extended Edition fanedit)
Kind of a no-surprises, comfort-food movie about a band of aspiring-one-hit-wonders written, directed by, and supported with Tom Hanks...and he even helped write some music! The fanedit is a hybrid of the Director's Cut and Theatrical Cut, and it doesn't really fundamentally change anything about the film, it's just kind of more of that thing. So if you liked it, you'll like it.

The Thief and the Cobbler (1993 - Re-Cobbled Edition fanedit)
Now this on the other hand, is really a case of just "more=more", and there are definitely times when that's not a good thing. This truly is cobbled together from a lot of bad sources and it's often very distracting or even confusing to watch, not to mention that the story and script are ...well, some would say "under-baked" and others just BAD. Spots of creative animation make this worth watching clips of online, probably in lieu of the movie.

Embattled (2020)
I had heard this was good, but you could not have surprised me more that what looked like a disposable Netflix streamer turns out to be the best family drama/MMA sports film I've ever seen! The obvious comparison based on that is Warrior, but I'm sorry, that film was well-directed but poorly-written. There's so much more to dig into in this film, and I'll be smoked if Stephen Dorff doesn't give the performance of his lifetime.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saltburn. In what I assume is an overt homage to The Talented Mr. Ripley (though I have not seen that movie in many years), we have one of the best ensemble casts of the year (which is saying quite a lot this year) led by Barry Keoghan, who is quickly becoming a must-see actor for me. The movie is wickedly funny and skewers some familiar targets with an uncommon wit. I really enjoyed 90% of this movie, but felt let down by the conclusion which seemed to undercut its own momentum by not trusting the audience. Still definitely worth a watch.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak (2009)
This short feature is a documentary by Spike Jonze made over a few years while he prepped for Where the Wild Things Are. It's such a lovely and illuminating look into the empathetic misanthrope who most people only know as a children's book author.

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017)
This film got solid praise but I think most people assumed it was some kind of "typical biopic cash-in" on the hit Wonder Woman superhero phenomenon the same year. Far from that, this is a much, much better movie than that one, and shows how in many cases: truth is stranger -and more interesting- than fiction. It's primarily a romantic drama about the love between William Moulton Marston (creator of WW, the lie detector, and DISC theory), and Elizabeth Holloway, and Olive Byrne.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

If you want to read me going on a rant about how this is a damn fine movie in its own right and how my generation has their panties in a bunch about "ruining childhood" while having no standards for the next James Wan film or Fast movie, here ya go. Makes me think of the George Carlin quote: "Think of how stupid the average person is... and then realize that half of them are stupider than that!"

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Voyage of the Demeter (2023)
I loved it! It was a bit too long, while also feeling like bits were missing, but I really dig it.

JasonFlippy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
May December (2023)

This is a dramatization of the story of Mary Letourneau, who at 34 raped her 12-year old student, gave birth to his child while in jail, and then married him when he turned 18. The movie is a bit meta (Natalie Portman plays an actress researching a role for a movie where she will play the pedophile depicted by Julianne Moore) and there's a deliberate Lifetime Movie quality to the music (which factors not only into the melodrama but also the plot itself).

Overall it was weird but effective at making me feel absolutely empty inside, so I give it an 8/10. Charles Melton deserves an Academy Award for this.

Last edited:

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Enjoyed May December immensely. Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore did an excellent job along with the rest of the cast. Never would’ve expected a film like that.

Reefer Madness (1936)
Back in school my friend group would always joke about this old movie since we were all smokers growing up. Since then I’ve thankfully quit smoking/vaping altogether so rewatching this today sort of puts a new light on the destructiveness smoking can cause. I’ve experienced many of the things seen throughout the film but in a modern sense. Negative psychological effects with any mind altering drug are a real thing that many people are oblivious to, especially in today’s society.

The Wages of Fear (1953)
Just heard about this French gem earlier today. Glad I gave it a viewing on HBO. The plot is simple; four men desperate for cash somewhere in Mexico get tasked with an extremely dangerous job. Transport two trucks full of nitroglycerine for an American oil company needing help to extinguish an oil well fire. The stress and turmoil they experience on the 300 mile trip really puts the audience on a ride! It was nice hearing Strauss’ Blue Danube at the finale.

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^My favorite subplot in Reefer Madness is when one kid smokes a joint, immediately becomes a rapist, becomes obsessed with rapid piano-playing, then goes insane and is committed to an insane asylum for life, all in the span of a week or so. For a Church propaganda film in the exploitation mold, it's high comedy. 🤣

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Finally decided to give this decorated epic a shot and what better way to do it than with the 4k restoration. First time seeing anything this significant related to the Ottoman Empire and the native Arab tribes. Also shows how much damage Britian contributed to WW1 like they did so many other countless wars. In regards to the filmmaking it’s some of the greatest shots I’ve ever seen and I am most satisfied to have watched it out in the living room with the stereo!

The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965)
Keeping with the theme of epics I decided to give this one a shot as well. The cinematography was even better than LoA especially considering it was limited to southwestern America and George Stevens’ own production team. I recognized some of the ensemble cast and I believe Max von Sydow did an excellent job portraying Jesus. Loved seeing the impeccable Charlton Heston portray John the Baptist.

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^My favorite subplot in Reefer Madness is when one kid smokes a joint, immediately becomes a rapist, becomes obsessed with rapid piano-playing, then goes insane and is committed to an insane asylum for life, all in the span of a week or so. For a Church propaganda film in the exploitation mold, it's high comedy. 🤣

Also try Reefer Madness the musical. I saw it live once and can recommend.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Wages of Fear (1953)
Just heard about this French gem earlier today. Glad I gave it a viewing on HBO. The plot is simple; four men desperate for cash somewhere in Mexico get tasked with an extremely dangerous job. Transport two trucks full of nitroglycerine for an American oil company needing help to extinguish an oil well fire. The stress and turmoil they experience on the 300 mile trip really puts the audience on a ride! It was nice hearing Strauss’ Blue Danube at the finale.
If you like this maybe you could give William Friedkin's 1977 adaptation/remake Sorcerer a go, has an excellent fan edit too!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy MLK Day, everyone.

Ghosts of Mississippi (1996)
Not the mostly well-considered civil rights movie, this film tells about the murder trial relating to Medgar Evers, the famous civil rights leader whose assassination pre-dated JFK's own. It's a film filled with comforting platitudes, and we absolutely still need a film about Evers' life more than we needed this one, but it's still a worthwhile watch with a stacked cast.

Bird (1988)
This is a biopic of Charlie Parker, the famous (or infamous) sax player who practically invented Bebop Jazz. I'm not much of a fan of Forrest Whitaker's performances, or many of Clint Eastwood's joints, or of this kind of jazz, so this film was a hard sell for me. Made with care, but far from a must-see.

Queen of Katwe (2016)
On the other hand, this co-production between ESPN and Disney didn't get nearly a wide enough release or enough attention. It's the true story of Phiona Mutesi, a 9-year old girl from the Katwe slums in Uganda, who can't even read or go to school but miraculously learns how to play chess, and extremely well. It's a film that had me "all up in my feelings", as the cool kids say, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dracula Untold - I like the idea of a sort of historical-war-movie take on Dracula, but then you realize that that just translates to "Dracula origin story" which sounds slightly less compelling. I was a bit bored honestly. I kinda just put this on in the background while I built legos (a new hobby for me), and maybe I would've gotten more out of this if I gave it my full attention. I really wouldn't mind a modern day sequel like it sets up for, with a more superhero-ish take on the character, but as it stands this film seems like it'd work best as a flashback within an edit of a better Dracula movie.

Muppets Most Wanted - Watched this the other day, wanted to like it. It's not funny, most of the Muppets take a backseat to make way for Kermit, Fake Russian Kermit, and Furry Ricky Gervais, plot is predictable, songs are fine enough but not super memorable, too many weird unnatural full-body Muppet action scenes. Just a mess, far from top-tier Muppets. Makes me kinda scared to revisit the 2011 film.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Throne of Blood (1957)

I've been dying to see this one as an Akira Kurosawa fan, yet constantly missed out on it until now. Overall, I wish I had watched this earlier, because I think this might be my second favorite of his (behind Seven Samurai). I loved the performances. I loved how far to the dark side Kurosawa went with it. And I loved the message of the movie. Definitely one I need to add to my collection in the future.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dracula Untold - I like the idea of a sort of historical-war-movie take on Dracula, but then you realize that that just translates to "Dracula origin story" which sounds slightly less compelling. I was a bit bored honestly. I kinda just put this on in the background while I built legos (a new hobby for me), and maybe I would've gotten more out of this if I gave it my full attention. I really wouldn't mind a modern day sequel like it sets up for, with a more superhero-ish take on the character, but as it stands this film seems like it'd work best as a flashback within an edit of a better Dracula movie.
Been thinking about this movie more today. I'm a bit concerned about the ethics involved with taking a real historical figure known for mass murder, and framing him as a sympathetic hero. Dracula the literary character is far enough removed from Vlad that you can make him a hero if you want, but using the actual historical figure feels wrong somehow. As I'm writing this I realize that it might be stupid to complain about the portrayal of a guy who lived over 500 years ago.

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Menu (2022)
Finally decided to give this a shot since it’s got some familiar faces in the industry. Figured it would turn out the way it did but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Really puts into perspective the flaws of society. I’d say it even explores the human condition as a whole!

Here Are the Young Men (2021)
Keeping on the topic of the human condition, this movie is a gut punch. A bit over dramatic at times but still makes you realize how self destructive the youth really is, especially in today’s world.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Flash (2023)
Watched this last night. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't say it was good. Time travel always seems a bit like cheating, but this had some interesting approaches to Barry's character. The attempts to explain the theory were extremely lacking and a bit annoying because of that. The majority of the movie is tv quality material and the CGI is an ugly mess as many have stated. I did enjoy the ending conflict that Barry's character experienced. Probably won't watch this one again though. 5.5/10

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Killers of the Flower Moon. It’s a very good movie, but I was still a bit disappointed by it. Maybe it was just my elevated expectations. We had to watch it in three sittings which didn’t help it to feel its length. I’ve heard the book is from the perspective of the Osage rather than the white men; I think that would’ve worked better, however I understand the need to put Leo and Deniro front and center. I was also taken out of the movie repeatedly by all the cameos. Admittedly, I’m sure there are many viewers who didn’t even notice Jason Isbell or Sturgill Simpson but it did distract me. I’m also curious about one shot that looked as though it may have been done with AI. It’s a striking fire scene but it, too, looked strange enough to take me out of the movie for an instant.

DirtyCop1036

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Good the Bad and the Ugly, 1966
This one was missing from my repertoire. Now I realize how important it is in cinema history, and I think I must have missed numerous references and nods to this movie while watching other films. I knew of the Morricone score, but when contextualized in the movie, it becomes even greater! Did I mention the story? I won't, I hated it. But I believe I can tell a Good movie from an Ugly one, even when I think the story is Bad.
My favorite movie of all time. What was bad about the story?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Throne of Blood (1957)

I've been dying to see this one as an Akira Kurosawa fan, yet constantly missed out on it until now. Overall, I wish I had watched this earlier, because I think this might be my second favorite of his (behind Seven Samurai). I loved the performances. I loved how far to the dark side Kurosawa went with it. And I loved the message of the movie. Definitely one I need to add to my collection in the future.
A classic, for sure. Always plays third fiddle for me in the shadow of Ran and the under-rated Kagemusha, though.

Top Bottom