• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was apprehensive going into Porco Rosso. It didn't look interesting, but I was doing my Miyazaki marathon so I knew I had to watch it. I figured, hey, Miyazaki's talented, maybe he can surprise me. He did not. This was bog standard. Fio and her grandfather were great but besides them nothing really captivated me. Marco's pig curse is so vaguely explained and equally vaguely resolved that it's hard for me to know or care what's going on with it. For example Fio kisses him once and nothing happens but then she kisses him again with as far as I can tell zero change in context but this time it turns him back into a human? Equally muddled is the love triangle between Marco, Fio, and Gina. I say love triangle but really it's more like two different writers wrote different love interests and stuck 'em in the same script and the result is never really addressed. We just get Porco alternating between one love interest and the other with zero resolution. Also with zero resolution is the whole fascism thing. It's introduced as something that will be important and then Gina receives word the fascists are attacking and goes to warn them and...nothing happens. They have a dogfight offscreen. The pirates also go nowhere. When they trapped Porco and Fio in the cove I expected them to team up against the fascists (which side Curtis would take remained to be seen) but as I said, they never have that big showdown with the fascists. All in all, I think the best word to describe this movie is aimless. It doesn't know what story it wants to tell and just throws everything at the wall to see what sticks, and the result is just a messy wall.

But hey, Princess Mononoke's up next and I remember that one's great. And credit where credit is due, they 2D animated plaid properly. That takes a great deal of talent and courage.

Last edited:

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I guess my reviews have gotten too long for this thread. Nice catch! I'll be sure to post there next time.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Scary Movie (2000)

Maybe if I had seen the sequels, I might understand why people like this one, but as it stands, I didn't laugh much. The only jokes that I did laugh at are the ones that had little to do with sex. The problem with that? Most of the jokes are about sex. Sex sex sex. It's like they cared more about the R-rating than in whether it was actually funny. Blazing Saddles and Tropic Thunder cared about being funny. Airplane and Naked Gun cared about being funny. This doesn't.

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Scary Movie (2000)

Maybe if I had seen the sequels, I might understand why people like this one, but as it stands, I didn't laugh much. The only jokes that I did laugh at are the ones that had little to do with sex. The problem with that? Most of the jokes are about sex. Sex sex sex. It's like they cared more about the R-rating than in whether it was actually funny. Blazing Saddles and Tropic Thunder cared about being funny. Airplane and Naked Gun cared about being funny. This doesn't.
Scary movie 3 is the only one that's really funny to me. But I watched it a lot as a kid, so it might just be nostalgia

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh and one more thing on Porco Rosso: Gina's French is broken to the point of being incomprehensible. Not just accented but genuinely impossible to decipher.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wings of Desire (1987)

I'm so going to hell for hating on this. If someone were to ask me what a pretentious film is, I feel safe in pointing to this as a strong contender for such a film. Most of it is just a bunch of people making supposedly deep, existential monologues for two hours plus. The film is advertised as a love story, but that's a bald-faced lie. The romance doesn't occur until the last 20 minutes. Sure, the mostly black and white cinematography is nice, but that doesn't make it less boring. Penn and Teller would've hated this movie, and if you don't believe me, watch this video:

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
First time watching this classic from John Carpenter. Considering most of the film took place in one setting I thought it was still very effective. Almost felt like something you’d see in the 50s. Wonder what the kill count was, I should’ve kept score! I’ll be sure to check out the remake sometime.

The Lodge (2019)
Decided to rewatch this wintertime gem. Excellent cast and just like the previous film most of it takes place in one setting. Think what I loved most about it is that there’s no happy ending!

Once Upon a Time in America (1984)
My favorite from Sergio Leone, this classic never gets old every time I see it. Easily the definitive New York epic. One of the last masterpieces ever made. And it’s the 40th anniversary!

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
First time watching this classic from John Carpenter. Considering most of the film took place in one setting I thought it was still very effective. Almost felt like something you’d see in the 50s. Wonder what the kill count was, I should’ve kept score! I’ll be sure to check out the remake sometime.
I actually just reviewed the remake over on Letterboxd. It's a very different movie than this one, just as this is a very different movie than where Carpenter got the core concept from (Rio Bravo, 1959- maybe that's where you were picking up the '50s sensibilities?)

retrojaro

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A million ways to die in the West. Pretty ok. It's Seth McFarlane being himself as always.

The ballad of buster scruggs. The whole movie should of been about him. He looks dweeby but he's a genuine western badass.

Fps. Not really a movie but growing up on PC fps games it was really interesting to see some of my childhood heroes talk about their experiences. John st John, Ken silverman, John Romero...

daedal

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The ballad of buster scruggs. The whole movie should of been about him. He looks dweeby but he's a genuine western badass.
I really enjoyed this one when it came out! I like the fact that multiple stories compose this film. The one with the prospector was very good in my opinion! And the other one with the guy without legs and arms was humbling and moving. The best Coen Brothers movie since O' Brother imo.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw Edge of Tomorrow. It was fun. Weird coincidence that the end credits song was one my dad had played for me earlier that day.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugetsu (1953)

While the first half-hour is preachy, and the pacing is a little too slow for my tastes, the rest of the plot (and therefore, the film) more than redeems its sins. Wonderfully atmospheric, and filled with some excellent cinematography. This is a beautiful and haunting morality tale with lessons that are still relevant even now.

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic Planet (1973)
One of the strangest animations I’ve ever seen. Really puts into perspective what would happen if a greater power took control of humanity and simply used us as pets and entertainment. Absolutely loved it!

Prism_Skywalker

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Boys In The Boat (2023) Really well shot film, great cinematography, likeable characters and an inspiring true story.
The Color Purple (2023) Really well done, less intense then the original, with multiple story alterations and changes, but still an enjoyable note to end the year off on.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

This is one of those rare times where I wish I still had my Netflix account due to my love for most things related to the brothers Coen. Maybe someday, I'll be able to watch this.

I really enjoyed this one when it came out! I like the fact that multiple stories compose this film. The one with the prospector was very good in my opinion! And the other one with the guy without legs and arms was humbling and moving. The best Coen Brothers movie since O' Brother imo.

My favorites are Miller's Crossing, The Big Lebowski, and of course, Fargo. But with that said, I do have a soft spot for O Brother, Where Art Thou?, if for no other reason than the cow shooting scene.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Happy New Year everyone!

Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
About as much a remake of the original film as that one is a remake of Rio Bravo (which is to say that it's mostly the siege of a police/sheriff station concept). While the Carpenter film is a cinephile favorite, I preferred this one on a number of levels: more character-building, better acting and dialogue, the way it handles good/bad cops, and just a damn awesome cast.

Fruitvale Station (2013)
Covers the events leading up to a NYE altercation between Oscar Grant and a number of San Francisco metro passengers and the metro security force on January 1, 2009. Ryan Coogler's first film and a star-making performance by Michael B. Jordan basically gave both of them a blank check in Hollywood. Really a must-watch, but too hard to rewatch.

Snow Angels (2007)
David Gordon Green's film that he did right before Pineapple Express. I must say, I'm not the hugest Danny McBride fan, but Green is at his best when McBride is involved. He isn't in this movie, and the blend of cringe humor and cringe drama is always a bit off because of it. Powerhouse performance by Kate Beckinsale though.

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
The quintessential zombie flick, filmed close to my stomping grounds near Pittsburgh. Never saw this til a couple years ago, one of my horror fanatic friends insisted I check it out. Now it’s become one of my favorites. Last year me and another friend were pretty buzzed up and decided to visit the cemetery at night and find that specific tombstone. It was quite the experience!

The Last House on the Left (1972)
I can’t remember if I saw the remake as a kid when it came out so I’ll have to give that a proper viewing. This original definitely felt like a 70s slasher! Reminded me of the original I Spit on Your Grave. These parents don’t play around!

Joker (2019)
Decided not to see this when it first released so I figured I’d finally give it a shot since the sequel comes out later this year. Considering this is the first live action to really show some of the Joker’s character development I feel like Joaquin Phoenix blew it outta the park! It was nice seeing De Niro do a solid job as well. I know some people are skeptical about the upcoming sequel but I feel like Lady Gaga will do just fine portraying Harley Quinn. Thought she was great in American Horror Story

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One. This is more John Wick than Jason Bourne or even James Bond. But I guess I’m just not much of a fan of McQuarrie. I didn’t like Jack Reacher and I’ve found diminishing returns with each of his MI movies. This one left me completely flat.

ravks

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Considering I’ve seen practically every film from the legendary Stanley Kubrick, I’ve never seen this one surprisingly. One of my best friends always told me to give this a shot but I never did for some reason. Now I understand why he loved it!

Naked Lunch (1991)
William S. Burroughs was definitely an experimental writer to say the least. Queer is one of my all time favorite novels along with many other gems from the writers of the beat generation. Sadly, I could never finish reading Naked Lunch but I feel like watching this adaptation will give me a better understanding and a renewed interest to revisit it. On a side note I was pleasantly surprised to see Ian Holm play a major role!

The Ghost and the Darkness (1996)
I haven’t seen many films with Michael Douglas but I think he did an excellent job with Val Kilmer. Sad what England and other forces did to Africa with industrialization. The main focus is about the lions however. One of the most cunning predators on this planet! Simple yet captivating movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom