• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Yes I could not remember the name of the composer! Thank you for sharing this!

Rustin. Follows Bayard Rustin as he is one of the principal organizers of the 1968 March on Washington. He largely was behind the scenes due to being gay. It’s a good movie with an outstanding lead performance from Colman Domingo, but as is often the case with films like this I found myself wishing it was a documentary instead.

Walkabout (1971)

I'm not sure this one is going to be an all-time favorite of mine. The editing is a little too chaotic for my tastes, and I'm not sure what the weather balloon subplot was all about. Still, this is a good movie despite the flaws. The performances between the three leads are good. The cinematography of the Australian outback is quite a sight to behold at times. And the story's thematic contrast between the natural life and the city life, while not something I identify with, is still effective for what it set out to do. Recommended for anyone who might be interested.

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

More movies that claim to be "based on a true story" need to be as wild and crazy as this one is. Al Pacino and John Cazale are perfectly cast as the two robbers, and it's neat to see Carol Kane, Chris Sarandon, and Lance Henriksen before they became famous. A rare true story film that won't leave you bored.

12 Angry Men (1957)

The kind of film that explains everything that's wrong with Hollywood today. This simple film that takes place in one hot sweaty room with few visuals and no special effects is still far more effective and powerful than most movies of the last ten years. Still one of the greatest films ever made, and definitely worth seeing before you die.

Heat (1995)
Watched this the other day for the first time. Classic heist film with two of the best actors of all time and a stacked supporting cast. Seeing Al Pacino and Robert De Niro duke it out is all a man could ask for!

The Great Waldo Pepper (1975)
Considering I’m a sucker for Robert Redford I’m surprised I didn’t know about this one. This has to be some of the craziest stunt work I’ve ever seen. Easily one of the top aeronautics films.

Jungle (2017)
Based on a true story about three young travelers adventuring over in Bolivia. Like most modern films the pacing for some scenes felt a little rushed but as the film progressed things felt more down to earth (quite literally). Seeing the actual real life photos at the end put a tear in my eyes. It was also nice seeing a more mature Daniel Radcliffe compared to the Harry Potter days.

Last edited:
Long post but relatively short reviews…

These days I don’t get a lot of chances to watch movies. So an Intercontinental flight was the perfect chance to catch up on some movies I’ve been wanting to watch.

Thirteen hour flight reviews…

Dial of Destiny

Not nearly as bad as I was led to believe and much better than Crystal Skull. It’s overlong and the action set pieces don’t hold much excitement or tension due to not feeling at all real. But I think it’s a pretty good story for an aging Jones and Fleabag does a good job as the female sidekick. There is definitely a bit too much fan service/nostalgia baiting, but not as bad as pretty much anything Star Wars these days. As niche as it always is to see John Rhys-Davies, Sallah wasn’t needed nor, really, was Teddy. Ultimately it was a fine Indiana Jones movie, nothing really new but a safe outing that was a better end note than Crystal Skull.

Side note: I actually watched most of this at home with the kids the night prior to our flight. Interestingly, I thought to myself watching it on a large screen that the de-aging looked better than I thought it would. But queuing it up again on the plane, I noticed the de-aging looked terrible on the tiny airplane screen. Intuitively you’d think it would be the reverse.

Beau Is Afraid

What did I just watch!? That was the most insane thing I’ve watched this side of David Lynch. I knew nothing about this going in and, wow, is it a trip. A bad trip specifically. I probably need time to process it. I’m not sure what to make of it, but I’m glad that we have Joaquin Phoenix and A24 to give us such insanity. I’m not sure I can describe it without spoiling it, but suffice it to say it is three hours of that feeling of dread you have waking up in middle of the night worrying about something. It may be insignificant in the morning or not. After about two hours it started to wear on my patience to be honest. I mean it wears on you to be that off-kilter for that long. It’s an experience that will certainly not be for everyone.

Past Lives

The film starts with voices off-screen speculating about the situation of three people sitting in a bar together. This grabbed me because it is a game my old band mates and I would play while on the road. I even wrote a song about. It turns out to be the perfect introduction to this story. It got me thinking about so many different themes but it never feels like you’re being hit over the head with any of it. It’s just a genuine story well told that will stick with you for a while.

Master Gardener

Narvel (Joel Edgerton) is the head gardener for a southern estate. But he has a past. He’s been charged with taking on the estate owner’s grandniece as an apprentice. She has a past too. Without getting into spoilers both emotionally and tension grow slowly and steadily like the gardens Narvel tends. And if that metaphor bothers you this movie might not be for you. The symbolism does get a bit heavy handed. It’s not as indelible as First Reformered, but it’s a solid film from Paul Schrader.

Asteroid City

With Wes Anderson you know what you are going to get by this point. It seems fashionable to make that a criticism these days. But I generally love that he has such a strong auteuristic (is that word?) stamp. Not that I always love the resulting film. But even those I don’t love I genuinely respect. Here he puts the odd and mundane through his particular lens and the result is probably his most Wes Andersony movie yet. Large cast of characters, static shots with symmetrical framing, sweeping pans, overt or 4th wall breaking theatricality, even some motion capture. I laughed out loud several times l, receiving occasional looks from some of my fellow passengers. But unlike the best of his films, it never coheres emotionally. It was entertaining enough but a mid-tier Anderson entry for me.

Nothing But Trouble - A horrible nightmare of a film, I can't comprehend how this got made. I don't know why I expected the critics to be wrong on this one. In any case, a lot of work clearly went into the sets and makeup, gotta respect that.

Light & Magic (2022)
This all-too brief docu-series has been low key sitting for a year now as one of the best things on Disney+. Assembled by THE Lawrence Kasdan, it's a 6-part look into the formation and early days of the pre-eminent movie magic effects house, ILM. The personal stories and profiling of all the tech guys (and girls) was the great surprise for me, making this just a joy to hear these very smart people lay down insights...and a bit tragic when the industry all changes.

The Rescue (2021)
Not as good as the Nat Geo doc The Territory, but still a well-told revisualization of the cave-diving rescue effort in Thailand a few years back. I do wish they'd been a bit more upfront about which bits were sourced footage and which were newly-filmed. It's also a bit of a bummer that you don't really find out anything about the coach of the football team, as his (and the teams') story rights are owned by Netflix.

Beau Is Afraid

What did I just watch!? That was the most insane thing I’ve watched this side of David Lynch. I knew nothing about this going in and, wow, is it a trip. A bad trip specifically. I probably need time to process it. I’m not sure what to make of it, but I’m glad that we have Joaquin Phoenix and A24 to give us such insanity. I’m not sure I can describe it without spoiling it, but suffice it to say it is three hours of that feeling of dread you have waking up in middle of the night worrying about something. It may be insignificant in the morning or not. After about two hours it started to wear on my patience to be honest. I mean it wears on you to be that off-kilter for that long. It’s an experience that will certainly not be for everyone.

I personally loved what Ari Aster did with this one, such a brilliant time that personally for me doesn't even feel like a 3 hour movie. I'm always cautious with A24 films, but this one stood out to me from a lot of the other utter shite we got from everyone else this year, really seems that A24 are the only people keeping the movie business going these days and for that reason alone I totally respect them.

I personally loved what Ari Aster did with this one, such a brilliant time that personally for me doesn't even feel like a 3 hour movie. I'm always cautious with A24 films, but this one stood out to me from a lot of the other utter shite we got from everyone else this year, really seems that A24 are the only people keeping the movie business going these days and for that reason alone I totally respect them.
Yeah it definitely felt like three hours to me and I was even at the beginning of a long flight. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. Its extended length also serves the purpose of the movie though. I wouldn’t shorten it just like I wouldn’t shorten Stalker or 2001. It’s part of the experience of discomfort the movie wants you to have.

Green Book.
A good film, sometimes funny. It talks about the problem of racism in the USA in the 60s, it is also a film about friendship and has a wonderful Christmas vibe.

I found a 2011 Kevin Heart Movie called "Let Go" on YouTube.
I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before, its really good.

The Killer 2023. This was a well made film that did absolutely nothing new. Seen it all before plot about an assassin who is double crossed by his employer and seeks revenge. David Fincher can do so much better than this. 3/5

The Holdovers. The overall premise and story is nothing new, but the rich characters and brilliant performances elevate it beyond its cliches.

MI:2 (Watched The Spence Edit) Really fun action packed film, a little too sexual for my liking, but I like it's over-the top nature but the edit cut the best part, Ethan climbing the cliff!

MI:3 Really dark, but got back to what made the first film great while setting the path for what was to come.

The Color Purple (1985) Really good film, Spielberg did an excellent job directing this motion picture and the cast is steller. The twist at the end was unexpected. Excited to see the new adaptation.

Midnight Special (2015?) Really slow SCI-FI film, felt like it was a repeat of existing films like "Knowing" and others.

West Side Story (2021) A beautiful and fun musical, yet abuses it's PG-13 as an excuse for countless sexual content jokes.

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Pt. 1 (2023) The best action movie of the year, some parts are long winded but still the film works

That's the guy that directed Dreamcatcher, right? Man he sucks.

(This post is a joke)
That is indeed a really horrible movie. A lot of Stephen King stuff works so much better on the page than the screen. (I did actually note in my Light & Magic review that Kasdan's writing career is MUCH better than his directing career.)

I discovered this list recently of anime from the 80s & 90s:

That's pretty cool but looks like it's just highlight clips... '80s anime was a golden era for my tastes, but there was a ton of lesser-known stuff that was pretty fun and I just never saw. I put together this playlist from several other massive ones I found. If you want to watch some pretty fun full OVAs or movies, there are a lot of solid ones here.

The Mean One (2022) - A horror parody of The Grinch. Loved it. If you can appreciate low budget horror movies with bad writing and acting, then I would recommend. In a lot of ways I was impressed, it's made much better than I was expecting. There are moments where you can forget that it's low budget. I would genuinely love to see a sequel, maybe bringing in a version of The Cat In The Hat. Again, it suffers from bad writing and acting, it's best watched with a friend who can make fun of the dull moments with you. The performance of the titular villain is actually phenomenal though, I'm told it's the same actor as Art the clown from Terrifier.

That is indeed a really horrible movie. A lot of Stephen King stuff works so much better on the page than the screen. (I did actually note in my Light & Magic review that Kasdan's writing career is MUCH better than his directing career.)

That's pretty cool but looks like it's just highlight clips... '80s anime was a golden era for my tastes, but there was a ton of lesser-known stuff that was pretty fun and I just never saw. I put together this playlist from several other massive ones I found. If you want to watch some pretty fun full OVAs or movies, there are a lot of solid ones here.

Yep it's just a series of trailers for recommended anime from the 80s and 90s. People need to hunt out the full films. Thanks for the list, I'll take a look.

I discovered this list recently of anime from the 80s & 90s:

So far I've seen:

Gall Force: Eternal Story 4/5
M.D. Geist 4/5
Hades Project Zeorymer 3.5/5
Silent Mobius 3/5
X 2/5

I've already watched Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita, Cyber City Oedo, Memories & Bubblegum Crisis.
Two more watched from the list and I'm pretty much done for the time being:

Mega zone 23 3.5/5
Genocyber 4.5/5

I definitely saved the best for last. Genocyber is way too violent, but it is seriously stylish. It's like a science fiction version of chainsaw man, but with hand drawn art.

Back
Top Bottom