• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Also a lot of the art is really heavily reminiscent of (and likely inspired by, but Idk for sure) French comic artist, Moebius. Beautiful.
I looked this up and someone said:

In the early 80s, Hayao Miyazaki discovered Moebius' work via the comic Arzach, and it inspired him to create the manga/anime Nausicaa.

In the mid 80s, Moebius discovered Miyazaki's work via Nausicaa, and it inspired him to name his daughter after the title character.

Metal Lords (2022)
Consider this 'metal for beginners', in terms of both the songs and bands represented, and also how it puts you in the shoes of the main character as his best friend sells him on the things that are so great about the world of heavy metal. This is essentially School of Rock Metal with teens, and I heartily enjoyed it!
I'm so glad someone else watched this, great stuff. Every time I hear War Pigs on the radio now, all I can think of is the violin rendition.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare
After reading the recent Image Comics series "Crossover", all I could think of was New Nightmare, and just how much better it is as a meta narrative. So I rewatched it, and yeah it's still great, and arguably the best film in the series. It manages to both be a commentary on sequels, while still feeling like a NOES sequel at its heart. It's fun and smart, and never feels pretentious. It is a bit long though.

Guys, I have seen other Ghibli movies before, namely Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky, and I loved both. Actually planning on rewatching the latter next. It really is just Nausicaä I didn't like, at least so far. FWIW, my dad loved it.

New Tale of Zatoichi (1963)
The restoration of Zato Ichi's first color film does not disappoint visually, and I found a real story to latch onto here, too. Wasn't feeling the action though, but I'm intrigued enough to give a shot to another film in the series.

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack (2021)
Zombie fish with mechanical legs start storming Japan in this bizarre anime, and it is the wacky anime Horror movie the world did not know it needed. I think I dug the style of the animation a lot more than some people, but really this is just a wild ride you have to see to believe.

Stray Dog: Kerberos Panzer Cops (1991)
Mamoru Oshii's live-action follow-up to the very good anime Jin-Roh is an absolute $#!%show and one of the worst movies I've ever tried to finish. Horrible, pretentious directing of a leaden script with a small budget and some of the cheapest action you've ever seen. Avoid at all costs.

Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack (2021)
Zombie fish with mechanical legs start storming Japan in this bizarre anime, and it is the wacky anime Horror movie the world did not know it needed. I think I dug the style of the animation a lot more than some people, but really this is just a wild ride you have to see to believe.
Check out the comic it's based on if you haven't, it's a good adaptation of it but there are differences, and both mediums have something to offer. Junji Ito is the artist and his horror art and concepts are just out of this world. Stuff that sticks with you. Gyo is a long book but he also has short stories and collections and things you can find online. One of the most memorable was the Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Last edited:
Attack of the clones 2002 - didn't like it at all and lost interest in the second half . The politics was cliched and the final battle was a chore to watch.

Probably the worst sw movie i have watched till now

Check out the comic it's based on if you haven't, it's a good adaptation of it but there are differences,
Yeah, if you click on the link in my review, it goes to my longer review on Letterboxd where I mention what I thought of some of the key differences. I'm not a huge Horror fan much less a Junji Ito fan, but he's definitely hooky.

I will confess, when I was a kid I tried to watch "Warriors of the Wind" (as the butchered transfer was called) several times and fell asleep. You have to be in the right vibe for it... also resistant to sparse score and plentiful wind sounds.
Now, it's one of my favorite "Ghibli" films.
Well no wonder you had a hard time watching it growing up, you had that shitty edit! 😂
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
After reading the recent Image Comics series "Crossover", all I could think of was New Nightmare, and just how much better it is as a meta narrative. So I rewatched it, and yeah it's still great, and arguably the best film in the series. It manages to both be a commentary on sequels, while still feeling like a NOES sequel at its heart. It's fun and smart, and never feels pretentious. It is a bit long though.
Agreed. Honestly, it does the meta aspect so much better than Scream that it's not even funny........well ok it's a little more funny than Scream itself

Blue Beetle (2023)
When people say "superhero fatigue", I hear that as "3 of the last 4 superhero things I watched weren't very good, so I'm gonna skip this one or maybe catch it on streaming". To break through this attitude, a film is going to either have to show that it's very different than other superhero projects, or have such bankable stars that they bring in their own fans. Sadly, Blue Beetle does neither, so it just being a very good Mexican-American superhero story isn't enough to turn around the lackluster box office sales.

Muscles & Mayhem: An Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators (2023)
A really solid 5-part docu-series on Netflix that made me fall in love with American Gladiators all over again. Arguably spends too much time on the formative years and good ol days of the show, not much on the latter years of bad studio decisions and replacement gladiators.

The Red Turtle (2016)
Billed by some as a Studio Ghibli film (they helped finance and Isao Takahata was a "consultant"), this had little in common with their movies for me. It's a dialogue-free film that looks and feels quite Dutch to me. It's a simple metaphor with real charm to the animation but I didn't connect with it to any depth.

it just being a very good Mexican-American superhero story isn't enough to turn around the lackluster box office sales.
In all honesty, if Elemental of all films could suddenly dethrone Across the Spider-Verse in terms of box office sales from good word of mouth, chances of Blue Beetle doing the same from the high-praise reception it's getting from people is possible.

People shouldn't keep judging a film's success on whether it makes 5x it's budget back on opening weekend. It's getting to ridiculous points of discussion at this time.

Harry Potter : Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)- the opening half hour is absolutely perfect , after that it turns into a mystery/thriller with engaging plot and good character dynamics . But some time travel bit at the end feels overly complicated and dampens the enjoyment.
Still a great step up from first two movies.

rating - 3.75/5

Last edited:
In all honesty, if Elemental of all films could suddenly dethrone Across the Spider-Verse in terms of box office sales from good word of mouth, chances of Blue Beetle doing the same from the high-praise reception it's getting from people is possible.

People shouldn't keep judging a film's success on whether it makes 5x it's budget back on opening weekend. It's getting to ridiculous points of discussion at this time.
I'm with you on not basing everything on opening weekend. That said, different studios have different strategies. Sometimes, like with Pixar, they take the time to produce different voice dubs with locally known and loved actors in many different regions. There are upwards of 50 dubs for some Pixar films. This takes time, and they usually do a much later international rollout, so their films often just keep growing. When I lived in Japan, I sometimes had to wait 6 months to see a Pixar film.

And not for nothing, but a lot of people outside North America/Europe have very little recognition of the millions of variations of Spider-Man. As much as the first Spider-Verse was a big hit, it was also people getting caught up in seeing a big Spider-Man animated movie. That's not new anymore, and now you're back to selling people on a Spider-Man movie starring Not Spider-Man versus a real wide-appeal core concept Pixar movie. As much hate as Elemental got domestically, Pixar is still killing it worldwide.

Blue Beetle, otoh, has already had whatever international push DC was going to give it. It's been out a couple weeks in most markets. DC has just been practically abandoning their movies since Gunn took over until *his* first project is released, the Superman reboot. I would love it if Blue Beetle continued to grow and was a sleeper hit, but it sure is not on track for that right now.

Most recent movie I watched was "The Venture Bros.: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart" and it was really great. I binged the entire series from April through July, right up to the week before the movie release, and I have to say the consistency of the series as a whole is incredible. Threads from season 1 extend through the rest of the series, and the movie rounded out the whole package with some fun finishing touches. Without spoiling anything, they leave the entire series off in a very satisfying spot, stylistically and (depending on who you ask) emotionally. I wish it was like 20 mins longer because there were a few rushed plot points (and I don't know why they had to keep it to 80 minutes) but I give them a pass since it was originally planned to be a 250-minute-ish TV season.

7.5/10 as a movie, 9/10 as a finale.

Just finished rewatching Laputa: Castle in the Sky and I still love it. I started nearly a week ago but kept getting interrupted so put it down exactly halfway, and at a perfect narrative break too. Despite not being all that impressive in the execution, it pushes all the right buttons to appeal to me personally, almost like the movie was tailor-made for me. I still find the film losing me at the castle attack at the midpoint, even though it's narratively important, but maybe this time that was partly from exhaustion due to the constant interruptions. "Macguffin girl falls from the sky into the arms of boy", executed rather literally here, is a trope I never tire of, and switching gears for a classic "into the depths" finale (I don't know how else to describe it, but it's that thing where all the factions gather in one spot to race to uncover something) drifting into tomb raiding territory which is always a plus for me. Really, this film is carried by its adorable lead couple, which makes it a real shame that their English voices are so horrendously miscast. There's also the villain having just a standard Mark Hamill villain voice. It also bothers me that Pazu and Sheeta never kiss.

Last edited:
Sleeping Dogs Lie
Not as good as Shakes The Clown or World's Greatest Dad, and I wouldn't be surprised if it winds up being my overall least favorite Bobcat Goldthwait film, but it was still entertaining enough.

Just finished rewatching Laputa: Castle in the Sky and I still love it. ... "Macguffin girl falls from the sky into the arms of boy", executed rather literally here, is a trope I never tire of, and switching gears for a classic "into the depths" finale ...... It also bothers me that Pazu and Sheeta never kiss.
You'd probably really enjoy Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, which is Miyazaki's original story that he re-worked later to make this. Has all those same key points, except that the romance between the two leads is given more reality and attention. It's just some kind of rule in anime that you're supposed to either have no physical contact... or be hentai. ;)

9 Love Stories (1993)
An anthology animated film where each 10-minute story is titled after and kind of themed-on a song. The writing and animation styles are all based on Kawaguchi Kaiji’s work so there's not as much variety there as in many of the films on my anthology list, but I found this pretty unique, charming, and definitely underseen. It's on archive.org I believe.

Kill! (1968)
This often gets mis-labeled as a samurai parody or satire, but honestly it played to me less like a Naked Gun film and more like a Mark Wahlberg movie. It's ridiculous and having fun being ridiculous and tropey, but also wants to deliver actual drama and action. As such, I found it a mixed-bag but still broadly enjoyable.

Colorful (2010)
I like this a lot more than A Silent Voice actually, a similarly-themed film that is much better known and I happened to watch only days later. Colorful just has more sophisticated writing that made the characters more believable to me, a pretty important aspect for a slice-of-life drama. The main issues is really just that the protagonist isn't super likeable and there's a central aspect of the story that was never any mystery to me despite the author's intention.

Last edited:
A Silent Voice (2016)
This reminded me quite a bit of ^Colorful actually, although this is much more widely-known. They both feature really nice animation (though the style is more striking here), deal with a suicidal teen boy protagonist, and make him pretty insufferable. In fact, I actually wrote up Colorful thinking it was this one!...

"This animated drama makes the ballsy move of going all-in on having the protagonist being about the worst piece of $#! humanly possible and then trying to win you back over to feeling sympathetic for him the rest of the film. The development of other characters is pretty thin, and I can't say that I ever really saw enough genuine growth to be on the protagonist's side again. However, I loved the animation and score, and other people might respond better to this than me."

Mind Game (2004)
Another animated film that's much-lauded in critical circles and I found incredibly overrated. In this case, I actually absolutely hated it and turned it off after 30 minutes. Aside from the "stylized" animation just being cheap and the story having really no theme, character, or development beyond otaku incel power fantasy, I just couldn't laugh at any of the comedy when so much of it stemmed from sexism, rape, and commodification of women.

Crimson Bat, the Blind Swordswoman (1969)
This was like a refreshing sake' palate cleanser for the two misogynistic anime flicks, and go figure: it seems to be completely off the radar of any film critics. I thought it might end up being one of these rape-revenge takes on female empowerment that populated the '60s/'70s, but no, despite the heroine having an incredibly tragic origin, there are a number of kind men and really her own mother is the worst of everyone. I liked this a lot more than the Zatoichi films that clearly inspired it!

Blue Beetle might be my new favorite modern superhero movie. It was fantastic.

My Neighbor Totoro is exactly as I remember it: all vibes, no plot. Can't say I'm a fan of this approach. The movie never really gets an ending, it just kinda stops.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom