• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Saw the new flash - I’m guessing we will be seeing fan edits soon! Good luck though

Saw the new flash - I’m guessing we will be seeing fan edits soon! Good luck though

I love this review format: "Saw . . . . . - I’m guessing we will be seeing fan edits soon!"

Super Size Me 2: Holy Chicken! (2017)
Morgan Spurlock's last project before being cancelled is a very worthy follow-up to the original. It ostensibly follows him as he tries to open an ethical fast health food chain, though you know there's going to be more to it. It's unfortunate that when you make your career on a series of docs and programs where you're fighting the good fight, people hold you to pretty high moral standards across the board.

The Karate Kid (1984)
Maybe my first (or 2nd?) rewatch since viewing Cobra Kai, and it's just amazing how well that series builds on this film and deepens it. I've watched this probably near 100 times, and I get something new (or remember it) almost every single time. This time: I realized that Mr. Miyagi only had one set of dog tags, so it's not that the keys were in every car in his yard, it's that he already knew which one Daniel would pick. 😭

The Lego Movie (2014)
Saw this on a plane finally and it was absolutely...fine. I don't think it hit me as half as inventive or creative or surprising as it did so many other people, but Everything Is Awesome! is a genuine bop that holds up, and this is probably the best non-Marvel thing Chris Pratt has done in the last 10 years.

TMNT (2007)

I dug the visuals, music, voice acting, and action scenes, but it was really weak in the story and character department, as it felt like I was either missing a previous movie before it or looking at a 1st draft. Not sure of how much of it is Kevin Munroe's fault, since he stated the movie is a sequel to the previous films, or any party that caused a lot of stuff to be cut, but the movie needed to either be fleshed out a lot more or take place during the Shredder's defeat and be about the immediate aftermath that causes Leonardo to leave.

lol I was speaking to movies, really. I know P&R has its diehard fans, and what I've seen of it does seem funny.
P&R is fantastic, but Pratt is easily my least-liked thing about it. His character is just an idiot manchild (albeit one with a heart of gold) and it just gets too much for me at times.

He has two great ad-libs, though:

That second clip is the only thing I remember about P&R having never seen an actual episode. But that is a classic. I assume that didn’t air?

That second clip is the only thing I remember about P&R having never seen an actual episode. But that is a classic. I assume that didn’t air?
You are correct. Standard practice for P&R was to do one or two takes on-script and then let the actors riff. A lot of stuff would make the final cuts, while the rest would get cut together to show at the wrap parties (which made their way onto YouTube) and were later edited down and included as DVD bonus features. Given a lot of the cast are improv comedians and standup comics, a lot of it is pretty hilarious stuff, but even "regular" actors like Pratt, Nick Offerman, and Rob Lowe would come up with gold.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (1990) - Movie Trilogy fanedit
Adapted from an original story concept by Hayao Miyazaki, and with Hideaki Anno as chief series director, you'd think this 1-season series would be anime royalty. It was rather botched by the producers though and a victim of interference from them and episode directors, so it's wonderful to have this fanedit which refocuses the story on Anno's core vision. Excellently edited, this works as a prologue to Evangelion and another story that starts light but has a killer ending.

Panda! Go, Panda! (1973)
This film is a compilation of two shorter films by pre-Studio Ghibli directors and writers Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki. Ghibli fans will mostly be interested in it for how many design and storyboard elements are pulled for use in later films like My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo. It's a fun Kids Movie in its own right, though.

Street of Shame (1956)
My first try with a film by legendary early Japanese director Kenji Mizoguchi, and I will definitely be trying out more. I was stunned by how atypical this story of a Japanese brothel was for the 1950s, how brutally honest it was and how well it holds up to modern viewing. Just really wasn't digging the score.

Asteroid City. I was mostly just bored. I didn't think the trailer looked good, but I wanted to give it a chance because I generally like Wes Anderson. I didn't like The French Dispatch either. Is Wes Anderson getting worse, or am I just losing my patience with his filmmaking style? What does it say about me that his first film is my favorite?

Asteroid City. I was mostly just bored. I didn't think the trailer looked good, but I wanted to give it a chance because I generally like Wes Anderson. I didn't like The French Dispatch either. Is Wes Anderson getting worse, or am I just losing my patience with his filmmaking style? What does it say about me that his first film is my favorite?

Yeah, I feel like Wes Anderson is slipping. I'm a fan of his work (The Royal Tenenbaums is my favorite), but I too am starting to feel the sting of disappointment. The last movie of his that I watched was The French Dispatch, and all I remember from that movie was my boredom. I hope Wes Anderson gets his footing back, because I'm starting to miss the director he used to be.

His movies are a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I loved Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr Fox.

I thought Bottle Rocket, The Life Aquatic, Moonrise Kingdom, and Isle of Dogs were ok.

And I didn't much like The Darjeeling Limited, The Grand Budapest Hotel, or The French Dispatch.

I'll probably watch Asteroid City at some point but I'm in no rush.

Holy hell Nausicaä: Valley of the Wind practically put me to sleep.

I liked Baby Driver, though. Granted, Buddy was a bit too bulletproof for my suspension of disbelief.

Took my girls to see ninja turtles - I liked itv well enough. I wonder if we had this technology in the 80s at the peak of turtle fame!! Anyways this one seemed a little preachy/inclusive and I don’t know if all kids movies were always like that and I just didn’t catch it cuz I was a kid. But regardless well meaning and silly enough for a good time. Soundtrack had some insane choices! In a good way

Holy hell Nausicaä: Valley of the Wind practically put me to sleep

cde.gif

Holy hell Nausicaä: Valley of the Wind practically put me to sleep.
I will confess, when I was a kid I tried to watch "Warriors of the Wind" (as the butchered transfer was called) several times and fell asleep. You have to be in the right vibe for it... also resistant to sparse score and plentiful wind sounds.
Now, it's one of my favorite "Ghibli" films.

To me it is the Final Fantasy movie. It came before the games, but it feels much more like a story that could take place in a Final Fantasy game than the actual theatrical movie The Spirits Within did. They even ride Chocobos in there!

Also a lot of the art is really heavily reminiscent of (and likely inspired by, but Idk for sure) French comic artist, Moebius. Beautiful.

As far as falling asleep, if this one does that to you then most of Ghibli's films will probably have that same effect on you. Maybe try Princess Mononoke? It's a bit more "adult" and actiony. Similar environmentalist themes but with demons.

I love Bottle Rocket! It's for sure very different than Anderson's later films though. Ironically, I just watched...

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
A refreshing film from Wes Anderson, still providing all the kitsch and twee that his fans love, but with actually likeable, sympathetic characters. I loved seeing Bruce Willis and Ed Norton take major roles in this, giving it a fresh feeling compared to Anderson mainstays like the Wilsons, Murray, or Schwartzman.

Metal Lords (2022)
Consider this 'metal for beginners', in terms of both the songs and bands represented, and also how it puts you in the shoes of the main character as his best friend sells him on the things that are so great about the world of heavy metal. This is essentially School of Rock Metal with teens, and I heartily enjoyed it!

When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts (2006)
Spike Lee's 4-hour plus doc series was an endurance test too great for me to finish, and I don't mean that in a good way. I typically find that Lee has a lot of good points, but articulates them poorly, focusing on generating outrage over digging deep or providing solutions. All that is true here, but it's also 3 times as long as most of his other works.

Back
Top Bottom