• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some time back I posted a quick listing of about a dozen DC animated movies that I'd caught up with. Not to go into too much detail, but I'd avoided most of this new rough continuity they'd established called the "DCAMU" which had new designs for most of their big characters and attempted to tell new introductions for most of them... mostly much worse than their previous films. With them deciding to kiss all that goodbye and start over in 2021, I decided to catch up with the rest of all those ....ranking below:

Constantine: City of Demons (2018) - great dark Horror Noir that works fine on its own, go figure I like it best.

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2018) - also requires very little DC knowledge and works mostly as a great gritty grindhouse film. The best Suicide Squad movie.

Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015) - the only film I recommend that's tied-in to the greater DCAMU story, but this is primarily a new origin story for Aquaman, and it's a lot better than his live-action stuff.

Batman and Harley Quinn (2017) - this is in the universe of the old Bruce Timm style and actors, but also bridges the gap for Harley to become a proper lead character. So, it's more of a Comedy-Action movie, and has full on sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.

Constantine: House of Mystery (2022) - less than 30 minutes, this is technically an epilogue to Constantine's DCAMU chronology with a kind of short Horror story. It's packaged with Showcase shorts for Kamandi, The Losers, and Blue Beetle and The Question. Lots of fun.

Superman: Red Son (2020) - has a lot of interesting ideas changing up the ideologies of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and many more characters. Kind of squanders all of that in the end though and becomes a fluffy affirmation of the status quo.

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020) - has been called the DCAMU's Infinity War/Endgame, but typical for DC, the previous films hadn't really sunk the time in to developing these characters or fleshing them out. As such, the massive death and destruction here didn't really have any emotional impact for me.

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (2019) - a weird mish-mash of Wonder Woman stories that kind of drops in all her main villains and supporting characters with mostly no build-up, as if we're supposed to already know who all these people are and have feelings about them. Seems like a blatant cash-in.

Son of Batman (2014) - The first in a trilogy of films that focuses on Batman suddenly having a son, Damien, who of course becomes the newest and most annoying Robin. They also start a trend of completely botching the characterizations of Batman's villains and disposing of them frivolously.

Batman vs Robin (2015) - Continues the trend of portraying Batman as a pretty ineffectual idiot who pretty much adopts and Bat-christens anyone who crosses his path. But hey, new Robin is cool, kids, right? Right?......?

Batman: Bad Blood (2016) - A godawful end to a trilogy that was misguided at best. I hear the original comic stories have some stalwart fans, but this trilogy and particularly this film seem like 10 pounds of $#!7 stuffed into a 5-pound bag.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Twisted romances...

Behind the Candelabra (2013)
An awesome movie about the love affair between Liberace and Scott Thorson. Directed masterfully by Soderbergh with a career-best performance by Michael Douglas.

Maniac (2018)
A 10-part mini-series mostly directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga that's not about mania at all but instead is about all sorts of other weird mental hang-ups and dysfunctions mixed in with a multiversal story and '60s retro-futurism. Emma Stone is great in this but Jonah Hill as the lead sleepwalks through it and tanks the whole thing.

Being the Ricardos (2021)
A film about the partnership (creative and romantic) between Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, centered primarily around one tumultuous week. Sorkin's script reminded me of his for Steve Jobs, but faster-moving and with a perfectly bookended resolution. Probably my favorite film of '21, this amazingly-acted production made me realize what was so phenomenal about these people whereas I'd never much cared before.

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maniac (2018)
A 10-part mini-series mostly directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga that's not about mania at all but instead is about all sorts of other weird mental hang-ups and dysfunctions mixed in with a multiversal story and '60 retro-futurism. Emma Stone is great in this but Jonah Hill as the lead sleepwalks through it and tanks the whole thing.
Lol, I liked this when I watched it but you're right. Haven't even thought about it since. Trailers reminded me of Legion, and I mean it's a similar flavor but a very different dish.

I also remember being confused about the details of the drugs they take because of one character's backstory. It's like the drugs are simultaneously secret and limited to the facility, AND sold to junkies on the street. Seems minor, but it was one character's whole motivation to even be in the story so I thought it would be clear by the end. Alas.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Yeah, the '60s retro-futurism totally reminded me of the first season of Legion, which I adored. (ONLY the first season, mind you.) I had so many issues with the story making sense and motivations working that the drugs was just one part of it. There's almost a whole other story with Justin Theroux's mommy issues and sentient AI and online sex addiction that the writers kind of seem way too interested in to make it just a B-plot in this series... Maniac was just so random and bloated, I feel like it was groping over 10 hours for what Everything Everywhere All At Once did better in two.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Superbad (2007)

This one was easy to review. I think that if the opening credits get a laugh out of you, you're probably going to enjoy the remaining 113 minutes too. The only criticism I have against the film is that if Hader and Rogen's characters were doing that kind of stuff in real life, I'm pretty sure they'd both lose their badges within days. That implausibility aside, though, the rest of the film was entertaining enough. I laughed. I had a good time. It works for what it is.

zeonicfreak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since Michelle Yeoh won best actress, I decided to go and find her earlier works when she did Hong Kong action films in the 80's, and I started with Yes, Madam also starring Cynthia Rothrock. Pretty good movie, the kung fu was rediculously entertaining, stupid comedy bits, but enjoyable all around.
I was also reminded that she was the bond girl in Tomorrow Never Dies, which to me is one of the mid ground Pierce Bronson Bond films.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tales of potential romance turning to something dark and kind of horrific....

Barbarian (2022)
I love the opening third of this film, but it devolves into a script relying on shock value and Horror tropes after that. Overall, still worth a watch if you don't take the ending or any of the underlying messaging seriously.

Last Night in Soho (2021)
Auteur Edgar Wright does a supernatural tribute to giallo films. I'm not really a huge fan of those, so this having all their strengths (gorgeous female lead, amazing visuals) and all their weaknesses (confused plotting, dubious gender politics) came out a pretty mixed bag for me. Has one real bravura scene though that makes it worth watching for that alone.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)
Absolutely blown away by how much this film won me over. I thought it'd be twee and forgettable, but it resonated with me, hit me hard, and left me with a bittersweet ache. Still not sure what the perks of being a wallflower were, though... seemed like all the perks came from breaking out.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black cauldron - saw this with my daughter and it seems like it was cut up like it’s missing scenes? Fine movie has really cool art and music. And seems kinda violent for a Disney cartoon / I wonder if there’s a directors cut or extra footage somewhere .

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black cauldron - saw this with my daughter and it seems like it was cut up like it’s missing scenes? Fine movie has really cool art and music. And seems kinda violent for a Disney cartoon / I wonder if there’s a directors cut or extra footage somewhere .
It is cut up, because it was so violent. The producer who did so in spite of the animators later invented Quibi. The cut footage remains lost.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow I just read about quibi- poor guy lol. But yeah it seems like it could have been a way better movie but it was missing “stuff” like so many characters and different “races” of people and different lands but none of it is explored makes me sad to hear the content is lost

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow I just read about quibi- poor guy lol. But yeah it seems like it could have been a way better movie but it was missing “stuff” like so many characters and different “races” of people and different lands but none of it is explored makes me sad to hear the content is lost
If you're really interested, Secret Galaxy did a really tight video about what was originally intended for the film, what went wrong, and what changes were made:

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're really interested, Secret Galaxy did a really tight video about what was originally intended for the film, what went wrong, and what changes were made:
this was such a bad time for animation - todays cartoon movies are 2 hours long. This could have been a Disney plus series if done today. I wonder if Disney has those 15 minutes that were cut….

Kouji

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple recent watches: (clearly on a bit of a Detective/Mystery kick recently)

The Pale Blue Eye (2022):
A rather slow-burn, atmospheric murder mystery with Edgar Allan Poe sprinkled throughout. Some pretty good performances by Christian Bale and Harry Melling, which I'd say are the highlights of the film. Not amazing, nor terrible, just a slow and somber investigation.

Memento (2000):
Finally got around to this fantastic Nolan film, definitely jumped up to one of my top favourites of his. Such a unique way for the story to be told, and Guy Pearce having done an amazing job in the portrayal of such an afflicted character. Definitely has some great rewatchability to it!

Insomnia (2002):
Another decent Nolan film, realized I hadn't seen/rewatched something with Robin Williams in a long time so it was pleasant to see another good performance by him and just reminisce in general. Another nice spin on a murder mystery with an all too real depiction of how insomnia feels, poor Al Pacino.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Prey (2022)
Absolutely one of my favorite films of '22, so of course it got about zero awards attention. Yes, this is a great actioner that finds a new formula for Predator movies. But it's also an extremely well-written story examining 'girl power', for lack of a better term.

Minamata (2020)
While everyone was focusing on picking a side between Johnny Depp or Amber Heard (like they can't both be trainwrecks as people?) this film got unfairly shelved and then quietly released. Features one of Depp's most inspired performances in an incredible, true story of cultural and racial conflict in a small Japanese town and how capitalism runs amok in Japan, too.

Nightmare Alley (2021)
For me, this goes alongside Crimson Peak and Pacific Rim as films where Del Toro achieves amazing visuals and excellent production value but where the writing feels unfocused. Who are you rooting for and why, and what are everyone's motivations? It's a muddled, overlong film that probably works better in it's original, shorter version.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As little interest as I have in most Disney live-action remakes, I actually would be really interested in a live action version of The Black Cauldron, adding back in all the the stuff that was removed from the cartoon.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As little interest as I have in most Disney live-action remakes, I actually would be really interested in a live action version of The Black Cauldron, adding back in all the the stuff that was removed from the cartoon.
There are/were supposedly plans for such a remake, and since there're 5 books in The Chronicles of Pyrdain series (been meaning to read them for a while) there's no excuse of a lack of material to base a new film on!

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

I was excited about the Disney live-action remakes at first when The Jungle Book came out. I liked that they sought to try something different with that movie and looked for ways to improve and expand upon the original animated film, as I was never really a diehard fan of the original. Then, when Pete's Dragon came out, I had hope that a golden era of live action improvements to some of the lesser enjoyed animated films was coming, The Black Cauldron being one of them.

Instead, that carbon copy of Beauty and the Beast happened, and all my excitement for the live-action remakes have up and vanished ever since.

Top Bottom