• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Ah right! I remember now! You mentioned those in the review!

I wouldn't feel comfortable calling myself a fan until I watch the damn thing but like I said, it's on the horizon. I'm optimistically hoping I can integrate Curse of the Jackal and Treasure of the Peacock's Eye into the movie series alongside the Ford films but I won't my breath for it.

Young Indiana Jones and Curse of the Jackal is a really weird one because it's essentially the pilot of the TV show. As such, it has this odd conceit where they basically want to introduce the two actors who will play Indy, so he finds this Egyptian jackal's eye when he's a boy but then the wrap-up to the story occurs when he runs into the same tomb raider in Mexico like 8 years later. This means that in the current re-edit of the films, you only get the first part of that adventure, then the bad guy gets away and Indy runs off to Tangiers and gets a foot taller overnight because the 2nd part was filmed in '96/'97 for the DVD box set premiere. The new chronological order is a travesty.

The last of my Christmas movies:

Spencer (2021)
Princess Di is slowly losing her grip as she's forced to spend 3-days cooped up with the royal family at Christmas. Occurring about 10 years into her marriage, this is a lushly-filmed movie with wonderful performances, though it may push the existential terror a bit too far for some.

8-Bit Christmas (2021)
Goes straight into my short stack of holiday classics I'll rewatch every year. I am admittedly exactly the target audience for this film, but I found the balance of A Christmas Story and The Princess Bride to be extremely well done, and it rides that PG line perfectly to offer something for both kids and parents (and adult kids like me).

Tár. At first I was mildly bored by a somewhat interesting character study. But then I realized there’s more going on. The movie doesn’t point the audience in the direction of things that matter. You have to be attentive. The movie evolves perhaps more organically than any I can think of. You really have that fly on the wall feeling. I don’t want to spoil anything. I went into this movie knowing absolutely nothing about it other than the star and the director and I’m glad I did. Blanchett’s casting is a master stroke (and she deserves all the awards that will inevitably come her way), both because she is so good and because it creates an expectation in the viewer’s mind. That’s appropriate, i think, because the movie doesn’t really take sides but rather begs the viewer to do so. I won’t go further than that, again for fear of spoiling things. It’s just a great movie and I’ll be thinking about it for a while.

Last edited:
Watched Ninja Turtles 3 for the first time. Not nearly as bad as I was led to believe, and I prefer it over 2. You just kinda have to get used to the shitty-looking Turtles.
Also watched Ninja Turtles 2 today, I don't hate it as much as I did last time, but it's still not good. I guess it's better if you have more of an attachment to the cartoon than I do. The first movie has a much better balance of being goofy without being too childish.

TMNT (2007) - Is this the best Ninja Turtles movie? Quite possibly. Darker than previous films with still just enough goofiness to feel like the Turtles. Here the Turtles have much more distinct personalities than before which I appreciate. My only complaint is that I hate most of the character designs. The Turtles look fine enough, Splinter looks like Chester Cheetah, Casey Jones is the only human who looks remotely decent, everyone else is terrible. Also, when does this movie take place? It's in the same continuity as the old films, and if the movies are set in the year they were made then the Turtles would be in their 30's. Either a sliding timescale is in place, or this takes place in the 90's/early 00's.

Batman vs TMNT - Way better than I expected, lots of fun. Blue-suit Batman FTW

Anomalisa. I don't know what to think of it, might have to watch it again. As a fan of animation, this was IMPRESSIVE, I can't imagine how much effort had to go into making everything move so realistically and smoothly. At first I wondered why it had to be stop motion, if you're going for realism then why not just do live action? But then I quickly realized that this was absolutely necessary, the film wouldn't work in live action.

Matinee (1993)

Words cannot express how much I needed to see this one. A fun, smile-inducing love letter to the cheesy horror films of the '50s and '60s. John Goodman's performance as Laurence Woolsey is his 2nd best performance (I would say this is his best, but I love his performance in The Big Lebowski just a thin slice more). And as someone with a fear of things revolving around the atomic bomb, this film was surprisingly relatable and therapeutic for me. I'm not sure if it really is Dante's best film like some of the fans say, but I do consider it his most underrated film. Check this out, especially if you're a Joe Dante fan.

TMNT (2007) - Is this the best Ninja Turtles movie? Quite possibly. Darker than previous films with still just enough goofiness to feel like the Turtles. Here the Turtles have much more distinct personalities than before which I appreciate. My only complaint is that I hate most of the character designs. The Turtles look fine enough, Splinter looks like Chester Cheetah, Casey Jones is the only human who looks remotely decent, everyone else is terrible. Also, when does this movie take place? It's in the same continuity as the old films, and if the movies are set in the year they were made then the Turtles would be in their 30's. Either a sliding timescale is in place, or this takes place in the 90's/early 00's.
Maybe I should give it a shot. I bought a 4-pack of the original trilogy plus TMNT, but never watched it because the visual design looked awful.

Bought a 4 pack, didn't watch it? Why? Oh who'm I kidding, I've done the exact same thing several times.

Maybe I should give it a shot. I bought a 4-pack of the original trilogy plus TMNT, but never watched it because the visual design looked awful.
You really have to be able to look past the designs. Otherwise I totally recommend.

Devotion (2022)
Jonathan Majors and Glen Powell give great performances in this emotional character driven production honoring the life of Jesse Brown. 7/10
I'm hoping we get to see much more of these actors in the future, especially Jonathan Majors.

hacksaw ridge, really good movie and performance by garfield

i also went back to watch transformers 4 and 5 just to realize the new one is a "soft reboot" oh well at least they look more like the cartoons now. bay and his alien design, i think the same almost happened to tmnt too

1. Top hat - classic mistaken identity love story musical
2. Apocalypse now redux - 3 hours of Vietnam war madness

The Man in the Iron Mask (1998)
I have a love hate relationship with this movie. Gabriel Byrne has always felt like an odd choice for D'Artagnan and I'm just not a fan of John Malkovich at all. Jeremy Irons is superb as Aramis and Gerard Depardieu is a fantastic Porthos. DiCaprio does a great job at establishing the duality of his role in this film. The end is perhaps one of my favorite cinematic moments. The emotion, tension, music, and presentation is powerful. If you love Musketeer movies this is a must. 7/10

Moving from Christmas into films for New Year's Eve:

After the Thin Man (1936)
The witty banter and copious drinking are back in this immediate pickup from the previous film where another detective story just happens to get solved while Nick is just trying to get drunk and get his wife alone. Prompted me to create a list of Sequels =/+ Than The Original.

The Gold Rush (1925)
Watched the original version but with some musical accompaniment from Youtube. It wasn't the best match but the film totally holds up, and I'm starting to consider myself a Chaplin fan, god help me. Wonderfully poignant NYE scene.

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Capping off a really lucky run of classics that I actually liked, this one is the best, and immediately made its way on to my Best Movies of All Time list. Reminded me that I not only need to catch up on a bit more Film Noir, but need to see more Billy Wilder films.

Moving from Christmas into films for New Year's Eve:

After the Thin Man (1936)
The witty banter and copious drinking are back in this immediate pickup from the previous film where another detective story just happens to get solved while Nick is just trying to get drunk and get his wife alone. Prompted me to create a list of Sequels =/+ Than The Original.

This reminds me to get around the watching the four films after 'after the thin' in my 6-film DVD boxset. I'll have to stock up on cocktail supplies first through.

Feels like ages since I've tried to condense my thoughts on here. Always fun to try some brevity... these were my last few watches:

Next of Kin (1982)
A gem of '80s ozploitation. Big The Shining vibes, but it treads its own path. Looks fantastic and boasts a score from Klaus Schulze of Tangerine Dream. Apparently Tarantino was a fan.

Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child
I've been surprised at how watchable the sequels in this franchise have been, even the bad ones. This one is a bit of a tonal disaster, but it's nonetheless an interesting curiosity for practical FX nuts. Directed by Stephen Hopkins of Predator 2.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Call me crazy but it's my first time with the franchise and I'm not digging it so far. I'm more or less severed from any nostalgic connection and I'm not feeling the magic. Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what the franchise looks like post-Columbus, particularly an entry directed by Cuaron of Children of Men fame.

Call me crazy but it's my first time with the franchise and I'm not digging it so far. I'm more or less severed from any nostalgic connection and I'm not feeling the magic. Nonetheless, I'm curious to see what the franchise looks like post-Columbus, particularly an entry directed by Cuaron of Children of Men fame.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) is by far the best one imo. If you're going to bail on the series I'd at least watch that one.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) is by far the best one imo. If you're going to bail on the series I'd at least watch that one.
200.gif

Goblet of Fire is one of my least favorite movies of all time. I don't care for Harry Potter though. I did think The Prisoner of Azkaban had a good storyline, the Order of the Phoenix had a fantastic cinematic ending, and The Half Blood Prince was a pretty great character driven mystery with fantastic cinematic moments.

Back
Top Bottom