• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

For a story based around reminiscing over the previous movies, I was kinda hoping for some kind of reference to the animated series.
There ARE a couple references to the animated series apparently, I just totally missed them.

Top Gun: Maverick
I didn't really understand what was happening conflict wise with this movie (I found myself drifting attention wise). The flight scenes were pretty fantastic and kept me engaged completely, though they were a little too obvious narrative wise near the end. An ok movie that I'll probably never watch again, like the first one. 6/10

is just Pocahontas with blue people. its boring and just has the vfx going for it. ive sat through the LOTR Trilogy extended editions and didn't fall asleep like i did with Avatar. snooze fest.

unpopular opinion, i know, but i just don't see the charm as a film. the plot is very lackluster. keep in mind Aliens and Terminator 2 are in my top favorite movies.

Uncharted
I've only played a few minutes of the uncharted games, but this didn't look or feel like anything I had experienced. Also, doesn't Sully have a mustache and is significantly older? I ended up doing other things while this was on, but it looked and felt like an over the top predictable uninspired outing. Glad I only spent $1 on this.

Uncharted
I've only played a few minutes of the uncharted games, but this didn't look or feel like anything I had experienced. Also, doesn't Sully have a mustache and is significantly older? I ended up doing other things while this was on, but it looked and felt like an over the top predictable uninspired outing. Glad I only spent $1 on this.

I'm a proud owner of the first 4 Uncharted games, and yes, Sully was much older and had a mustache. When I saw the trailer, that mistake was the first thing I noticed, and it did a good job of keeping me away from the film, because if they can't get the appearance of one of the major characters right, then that can't be a good sign.

I played the first Uncharted game, and I didn't GAF that they aged down both of the two main characters. For me, by far the more important thing was that the chemistry was there, that the film got the adventure feel right, and the "run-n-gun" feel of things. For me, it did all that, plus also added something of its own. It's one of the few video game film adaptations that isn't outright sheit, so that's a major win.

The Other Guys (2010)
Possibly Adam McKay's worst movie, and it's still pretty alright. Like the midpoint between Talladega Nights and The Big Short, but without the respective heights of either. Mostly carried by Ferrell and Wahlberg's surprising chemistry and one bravura directorial sequence.

Promising Young Woman (2020)
Probably the most #metoo movie. If you can just accept outright that #yesALLmen and move on to the film unfurling a drama about trauma dressed up like a Horror movie but without the horror, then yeah, there's a lot of talent on display here.

I watched a movie last night called How To Be starring Robert Pattinson. I don't know what to make of it. Kinda reminded me of the shitty Keanu Reeves movie Generation Um, except this wasn't painfully boring. I just don't entirely get what this movie is trying to say, is it that therapy is a waste of money and that you just need to focus on doing what you love? Is the movie not supposed to have a message despite seeming like that type of film? For the most part it's just a quirky british indie comedy about depression.

Atop The 4th Wall The Movie. What happens when a guy who reviews comics online decides to make a movie with his other reviewer friends? Nothing good. This movie isn't funny, the times when it tries to be serious are even worse, the writing and acting are all around bad, none of the characters are likeable, the plot is overly complicated, the whole thing looks like shit, and why the heck does this need to be 2 hours long? You'd think someone who critiques comics would know a thing or two about what makes good dialogue, characters, and story.

Someone on a podcast I listen to would talk about this movie constantly, about how it was his favorite bad movies. I asked my older sibling to get me the dvd for the holidays, because I needed to own this garbage film.
I've never watched the AT4W series, but I am unfortunately familiar with other Channel Awesome productions so I knew somewhat of what I was getting myself into.

Terrible movie, surely one of the worst, I'm very happy to own it, I hope I can find an excuse to watch it again in the future. Now to watch Morbius.

The Thin Man (1934)
Ostensibly a detective movie on and around Christmas, but the detective is retired from the game and just wants to chase around his sexy wife and poor great martinis. Said sexy wife keeps prompting him to solve the mystery and their witty banter is the main (only?) reason to watch this first of a series of 6 films.

A Merry Friggin’ Christmas (2014)
Released shortly after Robin Williams' death, he plays against type here as a cantakerous old Conservative dad to Joel McHale, forced to share Christmas Eve together. Plays a lot like a longer, worser episode of Community, but will scratch the itch for a more cynical Christmas Vacation film.

Better Watch Out (2016)
Small time Australian Christmas home invasion film with a bit of wit in its writing. Lots of homages to Christmas classics and a pretty strong cast make this fairly enjoyable (best to avoid any trailers or info about it and just watch).

My ventures through the Universal Monster Movie collection have finally come to a close with the last two films in the Creature From the Black Lagoon saga. Revenge of the Creature is the second film in what pretty much became a trilogy for the Gill Man. If you're a fan of Back to the Future Part III, you may have already seen the poster for this film during the drive-in scene. Even more interesting, this film marks Clint Eastwood's film debut, even though he isn't named in the credits. Unfortunately, those bits of trivia are more memorable than the actual movie.

The premise of having the Creature as an exhibit in a marine park is an interesting one, and it could've made for a thought provoking movie about the concerns of animals in captivity (Think Star Trek IV, but as a horror movie). Unfortunately, it takes too long for any interesting conflict to develop. Worse, the Gillman doesn't get to do anything until the last half hour. And how ironic it is that a movie titled "Revenge of the Creature" doesn't have much revenge in it. The film does get more interesting when the Gill Man finally does get his "revenge" (especially when he kills a dog, which I'm willing to presume was quite shocking for 1955), but as you can imagine, it's a sad case of too little, too late. Not to mention, the last 10 minutes are laughably bad. I swear the overuse of news reports at the end gave the filmmakers of Airplane! way too many good ideas for the news report scenes.

The Creature Walks Among Us, the third and final installment in the Gill Man franchise, isn't much better. The plot revolves around some scientist who thinks he can somehow create so many new evolved species' of sea life if he finds the Gill Man (even though he died in the last movie, but whatever). If you've seen enough Frankenstein movies, it'll come as no surprise that the scientist is crazy. But the most outlandish thing about this film happens about halfway through when the Creature transforms from a sea animal to a land animal. The explanation is utter scientific nonsense, and because the rest of the film revolves around the Gill Man's transformation, the entire second half becomes unbelievable by default.

I've heard there are some people who defend this one on the basis of its theme, and I suppose the idea that man is the actual villain of the film could bring up a lot of ethical discussions. But for me, the implausibilities of this film kill this one from ever being a deep thought provoker. I just can't get past the idea that a sea creature will suddenly become a land creature after having all his scales burnt off of him. Try that with any other real life sea animal and see what happens. Also, the Creature barely does anything in this movie too.

Well, that marks the end of my journey watching the Universal Movie Monsters. In a nutshell, the first movies of each respective monster are usually the best ones to watch (Frankenstein, Dracula, The Invisible Man, The Mummy, etc.), although if you're willing to explore, you might find a really good sequel or two (Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula's Daughter, and The Invisible Man Returns are some good ones). But if you want to save your time, I recommend avoiding the finales (The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The Invisible Man's Revenge, etc.).

Regardless of the quality, though, there's no denying the impact these monsters had on Hollywood, and in some ways, still do. Sure, by today's standards, things have changed, and our rules for what counts as scary have changed a lot. There once was a time when a big bulky man with a bunch of skin tissue scars and two big electric bolts on the sides of his neck would elicit fear and dread amongst the populous. Look around next Halloween, and most likely, the depiction of Dracula is bound to be something close to the one created by Bela Lugosi. But even outside of Halloween, their impact can be felt on today's superhero films. After all, it was these monster movies from way back when that started the idea of a cinematic universe first, not Marvel. And any way you look at it, it will always be interesting to note that there once was a time when the movies we kept going back to year after year were not movies about heroes in tights, but big killer monsters and the townspeople they killed.

Director By Night (2022)
A short documentary but longer than the film itself it seems to be covering (Werewolf By Night), this surprise gem features lots of old home movie footage of 'composer by day' Michael Giacchino pursuing his directing dream with his brother since their childhoods.

Spirited (2022)
A Glee-style musical with tons of tap-dancing smh? that tells a Scrooged/A Christmas Carol requel story where ghosts are powerless against the power of glossy marketing. They moved a whole musical number of Will Ferrell's to the end credits, and I couldn't help wishing they'd done that for the rest of the music too, but I hate most musicals so what do I know?

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016)
An 86-minute joke about boy bands being silly, so... if you thought there was anything about that not immediately apparent, then maybe you'll keep laughing after the first 5 minutes. The songs fit perfectly with modern pop music, but ultimately this is hardly satire because it seems to be inviting all the celebrity friends in on the joke...there's no real bite to it.

Just saw Hara Kiri (1962) and I will keep it short:

Hara Kiri will end up being in everyone's top 20 best movies of all times list. Guaranteed. This movie is flawless.

Reindeer Games. I've heard it's terrible, and I worried that it might be bad in a boring way rather than a fun way. I gotta say that I did in fact have fun, and I love the amazingly nonsensical ending. Such a dumb movie, but I could watch it again.

Bullet Train (2nd watch)- Love it.

Glass Onion- It was fine.

Black Robe (1991)

A very dark, brutal, and depressing look at the Jesuits attempts to bring the Huron tribes to Christianity in 17th century Canada, but also a very honest and powerful one. Gorgeous outdoor cinematography and excellent costume design. Gotta respect director Bruce Beresford for taking on something completely different from Driving Miss Daisy. Hard to watch, but worth seeing at least once.

See How They Run. I’d watch Saoirse Ronan and Sam Rockwell in just about anything. Unfortunately the latter felt underutilized here, though well cast in this meta-send-up of Agatha Christie (and similar) mysteries. In fact, mich of the casting is meta itself. The whole enterprise feels fun and everyone seems to be invested. For me, it was fun. But not much more.

Encanto Live at the Hollywood Bowl
This was pretty impressive. There were a lot of post effects added (butterflies and shards of glass) that I was hoping was done with drones as that would have been pretty incredible live, but they did a decent job of blending it with the live shots. Stephanie Beatriz was fun to watch and while she wasn't as animated as Mirabelle in her movements, she had a strong charismatic presence and hit every nite perfectly. Everyone killed their parts and the vocals were on point. John Leguizamo unfortunately didn't participate. My only real complaint was the rendition of my favorite part of Encanto, Dos Oruguitas. The power of that song I realized is very much in the emotional imagery, which the live version didn't capture at all unfortunately. Still, it was impressive and I'll probably watch it again and I don't care for musicals.

Dumb and Dumber (1994)

So much funnier and wittier than I expected it to be. The amount of great comedic timing is insane, especially with the pill scene. I also have to respect the ending for taking the road less traveled when a happily-ever-after comedy ending would've been so tempting. Arguably the finest film I've seen from the brothers Farrelly.

Back
Top Bottom