• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

I had just seen that these were added to Paramount+ recently, but a week after adding them to my list, they disappeared from the service so I didn't get a chance to watch any. I know I saw a few on VHS back in the 90s, but I have no idea which ones or if they were regular episodes or the TV-to-movie edits.

Took the kids (mine and my niece and nephew) to the new Minions movie. Thankfully we saw a matinee and there almost no one in the theater let alone the Tik Tok disruptions. The movie lacked much emotional punch for me. The kids seemed mildly entertained, but none seemed like they loved it. Thoroughly average IMO.

Patriotism, rah rah:

Independence Day (1996)
Remains a perennial July 4th watch for me, even though there are parts to it that make me cringe throughout. Watched the "Redeclared" fanedit, which helped a lot with this. Cutting out the Vivica Fox stripclub scene seems positively un-American though.

Unprecedented (2002)
An hour-long doc covering the half-dozen different ways that Al Gore won the 2000 Presidential Election if not for genuinely illegal tampering at all levels of government. Sounds like conspiracy-theory stuff, but it's laid out with expert interviews and footage showing that, no, the system really is just that corrupt.

Good Bye Lenin! (2003)

Baby Daniel Bruhl tries to prevent his mother in East Germany from finding out that the whole country has gone democratic capitalist. I think it's meant to be more outright comedy than is immediately apparent. I mean, it's German.

Take Robocop, Cronenberg, and Troma, throw them in a blender, set it to Japanese, and turn it up to 11, and you've got Tokyo Gore Police. Probably not anyone's favorite movie, but a fun shocking movie to show your friends. I watched it subbed though l'm terribly curious to check out the dub.

^that sounds like a pretty accurate description! Though I'd say Troma gets a higher percentage of the pie.

^that sounds like a pretty accurate description! Though I'd say Troma gets a higher percentage of the pie.
Troma was the last piece of the puzzle for me, l thought of Robocop and Cronenberg, but that wasn't enough to describe it. Then whilst thinking about Robocop l happened to think "hey isn't there a gross Troma homage scene in that with a mutant guy, or am l totally misremembering?" to which it then hit me that this is Troma esque. Now l'm back to wondering if that mutant scene in Robocop really does exist...

whilst thinking about Robocop l happened to think "hey isn't there a gross Troma homage scene in that with a mutant guy, or am l totally misremembering?"
Only misremembering slightly. He wasn't a mutant but he did get doused with acid which made him look like one, then, while melting from the acid, he's hit with a car, at which point he basically becomes fully liquid.

It is reminiscent of Toxic Avenger's origin from the Troma movie of the same name, and probably other scenes I haven't seen or have forgotten. Never really thought about it and haven't checked which came out first, so I'm not sure if it was actually an homage or just both things hitting the same gross-out notes for similar shock value. I could see that being homage though.

Last edited:

Ah yes. I've actually watched way more Troma than I'm comfortable admitting (Including the dreaded Bloodsucking Freaks, which should only be seen if you're that serious about blood and guts). I haven't seen Tokyo Gore Police, though, so I have no idea what the content factor is on that one. But I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy reading this debate.

Today l watched A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Both were decent, generally enjoyable but with boring stretches here and there. They feel like vastly different films in a way that l can't exactly place, maybe it's due to the first film being cheaper, l don't know, but l just found it interesting. The music and cinematography really make the films worthwhile. I rarely here people talk about the second one, but l'd say it's about on par with the first, though l don't necessarily love either. I hope to be blown away by the third, which l hope l'm feeling up to watching tomorrow.

Enemy Mine (1985)
I watched this with my Dad years ago when I was young. I remember being terrified by the pit monster and having nightmares for years. This movie isn't perfect, but it was way ahead of its time in terms of analyzing prejudice and hate and what breaks down the barriers of such. It's goofy, as most 80's scifi are, but it has a unique charm to it. Loius Gassett Jr does an incredible job in making his character, Jerry, and all Dracs feel real. While it's not the best, it isn't easily forgotten. 7.5/10

Brian's Song (1971)
Come for James Caan (RIP), stay for Billy Dee Williams. Classic "guy-cry" movie about friendship overcoming professional rivalry, race, distance, and tragedy.

Ms. Marvel (2022)
Maybe the only good new thing Marvel has made since Endgame? Kamala Khan is adapted here in a completely original identity that differentiates her from Marvel's stable of palette-swap legacy characters. I will be looking for more directing work from Adil & Bilall especially.

Took all the kids to see Maverick. I’m not much of a fan of the original so this was a huge improvement in my book. It’s still a pretty by the book action flick but that action is pretty stellar.

Finally watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Simply a masterpiece.

If you want to see more films by Sergio Leone, I also recommend Once Upon a Time in the West. It's one of my all-time favorites, and a highly underrated western that deserves more love.

I don’t think OUATITW is very underrated. It’s frequently on lists of the “best of the west” and has high scores on every rating platform. But I do agree, it is a masterpiece, is probably underseen, and is very awesome. On the topic of Leone, Duck You Sucker is also great. Although I do wish I could universe hop a la Every Everywhere All At Once to see the universes where it was directed by Peter Bogdanovich and Giancarlo Santi.

Just watched Inglorious Basterds finally. Much different than I expected, and pretty darn good. I think I'm down to just 2 Tarantino films now that I have yet to watch?

If you want to see more films by Sergio Leone, I also recommend Once Upon a Time in the West. ... a highly underrated western

I don’t think OUATITW is very underrated. It’s frequently on lists of the “best of the west” and has high scores on every rating platform.

It took a long time for critics to come around to rating the film highly. It has a pretty complicated release history, and it's only really in the last decade or two that it got broadly re-appraised in America. Maybe that's why Eyepainter was thinking of it that way.

Personally, I struggle with a lot of Leone films. Some work better than others, but he frequently frames hard, amoral men as heroic, whereas rape and beating and dismissal of women is so common across his films that Depiction starts looking like Endorsement. It's not equal-opportunity immorality, and I struggle not to feel like there's just no one to root for in his films except for the women to get the hell out of them and bring us along. Cardinale treating her rapist as a hero was the last straw for me in this film.

Just watched Inglorious Basterds finally. Much different than I expected, and pretty darn good. I think I'm down to just 2 Tarantino films now that I have yet to watch?
I think IB and Pulp Fiction are far and away his best movies, though both have their flaws. The more I watch Pulp Fiction the more I think IB may be the better movie even if Pulp Fiction is the more innovative movie.

Just finished The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (say that three times fast), and as a meta-movie about Nicholas Cage, it works just enough that I can't really hate it. I wish the film had been less formulaic and taken more risks, but it was entertaining enough that I can't complain. Pedro Pascal's performance didn't hurt either.

I think IB and Pulp Fiction are far and away his best movies, though both have their flaws. The more I watch Pulp Fiction the more I think IB may be the better movie even if Pulp Fiction is the more innovative movie.
Reservoir Dogs is my personal favorite, but I wouldn't call it his best of course. IB was terribly well done, I'm inclined to agree that it deserves to be called his best. I'd feel pretentious saying that Pulp Fiction is overrated, but I definitely don't think it's the be all end all. Too tired to say anything more specific here.

Back
Top Bottom