• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2022)
I almost turned this off during the first hour. The acting, dialogue and plot to that point were just boring and tired. The 2nd act was ok, but the third act was near great. I wouldn't say this is the best MCU movie, but the theme was intriguing and Peter's ultimate choice creates quite the emotional response. It will be interesting to see where they take this character next and how that credits scene impacts the future. First act 5/10, Second act 7/10, Third act 8/10. Overall 7/10

THE BATMAN 2022
Everyone seems to hate it...I was drawn in and it did not let go...not a moment wasted, considered pacing, great direction with lots of framing of shots in comic style, superb tone, dark . In short, as it should always have been IMHO. A Mafia movie with the P.I. being dressed like a BAT. The 3 hrs flew!

Starship Troopers - A delightful combination of razor-sharp satire, witty dialogue, and memorable characters.

The Northman - Seen it twice now. Can't believe it took til my second viewing to realise Amleth is Hamlet with the H at the end. This film drips with atmosphere and draws you into its tale of fate. Might finally have found the film for my first fan-edit.

I've been on a Roger Corman binge lately, so I've been enjoying watching a lot of aspiring filmmakers' early successes (and/or failures). These three are the most recent films I've seen from the library of Corman:

Dementia 13 - This one caught my interest because of its director, a then-unknown Francis Ford Coppola. Overall, it was better than I expected for a Corman flick, though it still has its issues. The biggest problem being that it feels like a rip-off of Alfred Hitchock's Psycho. Still, there are a few strokes of directing genius here and there. If for no other reason, it's worth a watch just to see how Coppola directed movies before The Godfather.

Piranha (1978) - I heard a lot of things about this one before seeing it. This one is a lot campier than Dementia 13, but Joe Dante must've learned a lot from this one! Even if it isn't the greatest, it's a lot of fun to watch, and you can see how this movie impacted Dante's future career. I'd call it an R-rated Gremlins, but I don't think that's a good way to describe this film. It's obvious just from the poster alone that this was meant to cash off on the success of Jaws. Just with gorier kills. All in all, it is what it is, and you get what you pay for with this one! If you love a good camp fest, check this one out!

She-Gods of Shark Reef - This one looked promising when I saw the poster, and if you read the plot description, it sounds like a good classic Corman film. Pretty women! Serial killers! Gods who demand human sacrifices! Sounds like a good time! Even with the low IMDB score of 2.9/10, my curiosity was satiated even further! I figured the rating was low because it was fun! I was wrong. The reason for the 2.9 rating is because it really is that unwatchable! Holy mother of holies, this was a chore to watch! I actually fell asleep watching this one! With most Corman films, even if the film is bad, there's usually something around to keep me interested, even if it's shallow. In most cases with a Corman film, you can look at the advertising and know what insanity you're in for. But with this one, I feel lied to! Most of the film is basically "how I spent my hawaiian vacation." My description of the actual plot of this movie (whether it counts as one is up for debate) would be "a bunch of women in grass skirts sing, play instruments, and dance. Also, something about them worshipping a shark god." This might be the worst Roger Corman film I've seen so far. If you wish to follow in my footsteps and sit through a bunch of Corman films yourself, please heed my warning about this one and do yourself a favor by skipping it. Never again, man! Never again!

Cuck (2019)
I've been making jokes about this movie since I first heard about it in 2019, and I finally watched it when I saw it was on Prime. I always described it as "basically the movie that people on social media expected Joker to be" and it turns out that's pretty accurate. This movie is so, so bad, but it's also hilarious, and everyone needs to see it to experience how bad it is.
Er, if you do check it out, read up on its content first because it can be very uncomfortable.

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
Watching @Bobson Dugnutt 's epic and amazing documentary mini-series on this got me wanting to rewatch and re-evaluate. The film has gotten no end of hate from people but honestly if you fix Jar Jar and trim Anakin, it's mostly a great movie (my preferred fix is @TM2YC 's "Reborn"). I'm sure a lot of people are rethinking their feelings on this one after watching the sequel trilogy.

Hawkeye (2021 mini-series)
I watched this a bit ago but didn't get my full thoughts down until Moon Knight started coming out. I liked Hawkeye quite a bit, except that it focused way too much on some new girl instead of Hawkeye. And with all the supporting cast (who were actually great), he was nearly reduced to a guest star in his own long-delayed title vehicle. (Pro-tip: watch all the deleted scenes in the Extras section; there are some great ones in there!)

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Great write up. You're much more lenient on the film than I'd be though. It does have good things in it, some that I love even. I've got the beautifully designd Naboo starfighter, Battledroid and Anakin's Pod models sitting behind me.

The film has gotten no end of hate from people but honestly if you fix Jar Jar and trim Anakin, it's mostly a great movie (my preferred fix is @TM2YC 's "Reborn").

Really? Well thanks :). Those being some of my first efforts at fanediting make me think they must be bad but with maybe a couple of good ideas.

Your review has got me thinking about at least having a look at another try to edit TPM.

I'm sure a lot of people are rethinking their feelings on this one after watching the sequel trilogy.

Then those people are wrong. Just because you don't like some more recent movies, it doesn't make older, worse movies somehow good again. The best one could say was "well I didn't think it was humanly possible to make worse Star Wars movies than the prequels but I guess I was wrong" :LOL:. It's not a view I subscribe to though, no matter the massive flaws on some of the sequels, they could never be worse. Only my opinion though.

I was a kid for the OT; I was a grown-ass adult for the PT; and my kids are kids for the ST. I enjoyed the OT as a huge part of my childhood and therefore look at it through rose-colored glasses. I have enjoyed watching my kids enjoy the ST, though it wasn’t my cup of tea. I have no such attachment to the prequels, but I couldn’t possibly begrudge those that see the prequels through their own rose-colored glasses.

Thanks @TM2YC , both for the kind words and for the edit. Your other two Reborn edits didn't quite nail what I wanted from the prequels, but the first one really did. Ironic, I know, since I believe it was your very first one?
I think ^Moe is right when he mentions rose-colored glasses. Memories and expectations play such a huge role in some people's appreciation for the various Star Wars films. I've met a ton of younger people who grew up with the Prequels and had to go back to watch the OT...and were disappointed. The key thing is that the two series really do have different vibes, so they have to be appreciated on their own merits.
As for the sequels, yes, I think
"well I didn't think it was humanly possible to make worse Star Wars movies than the prequels but I guess I was wrong"
is exactly right. People have said the prequels are absolute garbage just because they personally have distaste for them. There's a lot of great filmmaking in those films, whether they're to someone's individual taste or not. And I can recognize that there's a lot of great technique in The Last Jedi too, even though I hate that movie. The sequel films just never come together, never decide what they want to be, mostly because they were made by committee on the fly, not with a written out plan and a showrunner. Anyway, I'm ranting in the wrong forum, but I'm marathoning these movies now, so I'll post quick thoughts on the others as I go. (Sorry in advance):LOL:

Everyone seems to hate it? It has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 8.0 on IMDb!
I must have read the hateful reviews...I'll admit to not being very attentive on this one...I had LOW expectations....

Better to go in expecting the worst and come out happy than go in expecting the world and coming out disappointed.

Sinister
Actually really good, built suspense and tension very well, and I kinda related to the protagonist. My one problem with this movie was it’s antagonist Bughuul, as the only time I feared his presence, was when he wasn’t actually present. 90% of the scares were pretty good, the other 10% was all Bughuul. Honestly, wouldn’t mind seeing an edit of this film that removed all of his actual appearances, except maybe at the end. Overall though, Really good movie!

I must have read the hateful reviews...I'll admit to not being very attentive on this one...I had LOW expectations....
Busy weekend :( so late here.
I hadn't read any reviews going in, I was just aware that the movie existed, and wasn't even specifically aware HBOMax was streaming it already. I also had very low expectations, and we watched more as a whim & break from the current lineup of shows we're following. My wife and I were both quite surprised as I mentioned.

Watched Spider-Man for it's 20th Anniversary today.

3ac8c704d777b3f9dca29415a3b06c66.gif

Star Wars - Episode II: The Attack of the Clones (2002)
Was happy on this rewatch to be able to see The Approaching Storm fanedit, which massively fixes the romance here. The other main plot is that Obi-Wan is essentially a detective trying to solve "The Mystery of Count Dooku and the Clones", and I think that can still use some fixing up. This is the first time I've genuinely enjoyed rewatching this film though.

Cookie's Fortune (1999)
A Robert Altman joint that tries to tell the story of an Easter morning suicide painted as a small town murder by a scenery-chewing Glenn Close. Phenomenal cast but misguided directing and a weak script meant this felt like pap-filled atonal goofiness. Couldn't finish watching.

The Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)
I watched this on May Day, when I always watch a Folk Horror film (the past few years at least) in an effort to understand the sub-genre. So far, films like this have not terribly impressed me, as it features all the cheesy acting and non-sensical story threads I've come to expect. Maybe it has an especially British appeal?

Genndy Tartakovsky's "The Clone Wars" (2003)
Initially conceived as fun shorts to flesh out the actual wars that were skipped over between Star Wars Episodes II and III, these eventually became a narrative that is the best portrayal of Anakin's gradual slide to the Dark Side, and required viewing for SW fans. I watched a fanedit by WonPorky, but it looks like ADigitalMan's edit which collects these into a 2-hour-ish masterpiece of visual storytelling is basically the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom