• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Megazone 23 Part II (1986)
Continues the story of the first film, which had somewhat of a cliffhanger ending but was a smash hit as one of the first Japanese OVAs. As much as the first film loosely compares to the structure of The Matrix, this one compares to Reloaded....more action, bigger, better visuals, and a big ending confrontation with some unusual choices that lead you to wonder what will happen next. In a Youtube playlist here.

Cassandra’s Dream (2007)
One of the least-Allenesque Woody Allen films I've ever seen, which meant I rather liked it. The fantastic cast and non-New York location manage to make the dialogue and plot seem more recognizably human and not over-written and transparent. Plus, 20-something Hayley Atwell.:love:

Fast Food Nation (2006)
One of the few Linklater films I hadn't seen, the trailers made this story look like a mess, which it is. But it's better than I thought...a kind of too ambitious effort to build on the famous book and show all the problems with the burger industry. Stacked cast and some great moments.

Ready Player One. Friday night is often family movie night in our house and this was tonight’s movie. In my opinion it’s not a very good movie but it wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. It reminded me of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The LEGO Movie without sharing any of those movie’s originality or much of their heart, while also subsequently relying on nostalgia to nauseating degree. That said, my kids absolutely loved it and it was, after all, made for them. But if it plays best with tweens I wish the language was toned down a bit.

A few films that deal with love and passion in different ways...

Say Anything (1989)
Cameron Crowe's directing debut. I really love this movie, and Neglify's EE was a great way to revisit and see how brilliant John Mahoney's performance was.

Spanking the Monkey (1994)
David O. Russell's directing debut, showing all the twisted proclivities he's since became infamous for. Great performance by Jeremy Davies, though the film kind of turned my stomach and I don't recommend it.

Iron & Silk (1990)
Adapted from the amazing book where a mild-mannered American boy goes to study kung fu and teach English in China in the '80s. Not a surprise that it's not as good as the book, but I was hoping for more since the real guy played himself in the film...and he's good!

jeen-yuhs : act i. What a fascinating look at the early years of Kanye. He’s simultaneously a man with seemingly limitless belief in himself, but also with a constant need for approval and acceptance. From these incredible behind the scenes looks at this period of his life, it’s easy to think that his mother’s “he can do wrong” attitude helped to fuel both the confidence and the insecurity. I’m anxious to see the next two “acts.”

Disclaimer: I’m not a huge hip hop fan but I do love Kanye’s stuff up through My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. After that I kind of lost track of him but for the headlines.

The Hand of God. It’s held together for me by a visual flair and an oddball, dreamlike quality. But it has a lack of structure that I suppose is attributed to the same sort of “memories of a child” autobiographical film in the vein of Roma and Belfast. But I confess I’m growing weary of that sort of storytelling. That said, it’s a compelling movie and perhaps would’ve been a top movie of the year for me had I not also seen Belfast prior and been reminded of Roma.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022
I don't know if it's a Jason Goes to Hell level off the walls lovable mess, or if it's a genius and hilarious parody of Halloween 2018 and other such sequels, but in either case it was a great time.

Happy Death Day.... Yeah I basically knew what was gonna happen but it was an entertaining movie regardless.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022
I don't know if it's a Jason Goes to Hell level off the walls lovable mess, or if it's a genius and hilarious parody of Halloween 2018 and other such sequels, but in either case it was a great time.
Having never seen even heard of there being a 2022 reboot (?) I know what I would gamble. Would you care to guess what way I would go? That way if my gamble doesn't pan out I'll still make my money back

Having never seen even heard of there being a 2022 reboot (?) I know what I would gamble. Would you care to guess what way I would go? That way if my gamble doesn't pan out I'll still make my money back
I'm sure you'd gamble on me just having bad taste in movies

It's not a stovetop or your middle name, I'm sure you could figure it out.

Fair.

So anyways, last movies watched, that's the thread. After watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2022 I went in to watch 2017's Leatherface and I genuinely thought it was really good, definitely third best behind the first two, though of course I haven't seen 3, 4, or 3D yet. Honestly with these last two ending up being enjoyable despite what critics say, who knows how I'll feel about the other "bad" entries in the series.

Watched Peacemaker (it's not a movie but a streaming HBO sequel to a WB movie so close enough) :

Emotionally disturbing, but mostly very entertaining, though jokes don't all land, James Gunn fans knows what to expect. First half takes a while to establish and get to where everyone is likeable, but no worse than any streaming show, very little filler in the back half.

Fast 9. Lol. In the prologue you get Vin’s dad establish in a ten second conversation that he has the race locked up, he’s just got his big break, and he gives his son his big life lesson. Anyone who doesn’t see what’s coming next probably enjoyed this more than me. Clearly I’ve missed some installments because suddenly we find the crew is some sort of Impossible Mission Force. I sort of tuned out after that. Maybe it’s an intentional parody by this point, but it takes itself too seriously for me to like it as a parody and it’s too stupid to enjoy even as a dumb action movie. And, I mean okay, string together a few ridiculous action scenes with some humor and you’ve got a fun rollercoaster ride for no more than 90 minutes, right? Nope! This shit goes on for for nearly an hour more.

Every installment after the first surprises me this thing keeps going. The first one was entertaining in its way, and did capture some of the tuner culture of the time (and watching the yobbos in their Civics reliving the movie in the theater parking lot after the movie was both amusing and unsurprising). After that they jumped the shark and kept jumping it. I stopped paying attention after about #3.

Eternals (2021)
a,k.a. "Representation: The Movie". Not my least-favorite MCU film, but definitely an overlong misfire on several levels. I hope this is the last time Marvel tries to dump a ton of new characters into a film all at once and expect us to have good reasons to care about them.

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
I think Runaway Bride would make a better V-day watch. When critics say this is better than the original, surely they're only remembering the final 20 minutes? It's ass before then.

Megazone 23 Part III (1989)
A pretty clear cash grab rehash of the previous two successful films. Better watched first, actually (if at all) since it has next to nothing to do with Parts 1 and 2.

The Adam Project. Like the director and star’s last project, Free Guy, this is a flawed movie that is still better than you expect it to be. It’s a good family movie night flick.

Recently finished watching Twin Peaks season 1 and 2 and so have now tackled the film, Fire Walk With Me. Every bit as Lynchian as you could expect, not nearly as much closure as you'd like, but still captivating in its own unique way. Sheryl Lee is a huge part of what makes it work; her performance is excellent.

I was considering watching The Missing Pieces before moving on to The Return, but I feel like it might be better to rewatch the film with more or less all the deleted footage incorporated (AKA, a fanedit).

Turning Red - Really enjoyable Pixar movie about teens, big emotions and parenting them

The Batman - Too long, tons of great moments, structural issues. High point - Batmobile car chase shot almost entirely in close-ups. Low point - last voiceover is terrible

Back
Top Bottom