• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately, yes.

Hello everyone!
My name is Silver Screen Samurai. Some of you may know me from my work-in-progress fanedit on "The Wolverine;" ... But I'm now at a crossroads in my career; at a point where I can take the risky next step and fully commit, 24/7 to my career making original works. It is going to be more demanding and more time consuming than ever before... and as a result, I unfortunately won't have time to be involved in the fanediting community anymore. ... that being said, I would hate for this edit to be fully abandoned; especially since the reception to its concept has been generally positive, and some pretty big editors have expressed enthusiasm for it. So rather than scrapping that project altogether, I was wondering... would any editors on this site be interested in potentially inheriting the "James Mangold's 'The Wolverine'" project? I think since its intent was to restore the original vision, and is substantially different from any of the existing cuts, that it would be a great idea to pass this project onto another editor if they're interested.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)
I'm not really sure what the point of this movie was. The moral of the story is ok, but it could have been told in about 5 minutes vs however long this was. The worst part of this though was that we didn't even really get to hear the Wonder Woman theme. This felt like an 80's movie, cheesy and not really defined in what it was trying to accomplish. Max isn't really a bad guy, nor is Barbara, so there isn't really anything other than greed and self-centeredness. This was a drama in the disguise of a super hero film, and not a very good one at that. 5/10

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The point of WW84? Cash grab.
I was highly disappointed in it. As you mention, Max and Barbara really weren't much in the way of villains or opposition to Diana. It seemed Barbara's part for the entire movie was as an excuse for the fight scene later, and even that was pretty meh. Two hours of pointlessly meandering around.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Wolverine (2013)
With Silver Screen Samurai moving on from their edit, I decided to revisit this movie. The last time I watched it it was the Unleashed unrated edition. I'm not a fan of gore and grotesque violence so I found it pretty gross due to the added gore. This time I watched the Theatrical. Up until the very last part with the Silver Samurai, this is was a good action flick. I'm still a bit confused how Logan can get his adamantium claws back in Days of Future Past after watching this movie. I liked Yukio a lot more this go around, possiblyl because we skipped the chipper scene? Anyway, a good movie for 2/3 of the time, then a poor final act. 6/10
People take for granted now how well the MCU movies fit together... the X-Men films have parts in every one that don't jibe with what has come before. DOFP is a particularly egregious example. The tease at the end of this film for Magneto and Prof. X finding Wolverine doesn't match with DOFP or with X-Men: The Last Stand. The tease of him getting his costume never goes anywhere. And of course there are the claws being removed (which doesn't even make sense within this film, as the movies have always shown them as thin, sharp knives, not cylindrical bone claws covered in metal). I like the film, but this whole storyline taken from the comics doesn't work well within the movies.

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)
I'm not really sure what the point of this movie was. The moral of the story is ok, but it could have been told in about 5 minutes vs however long this was. The worst part of this though was that we didn't even really get to hear the Wonder Woman theme. This felt like an 80's movie, cheesy and not really defined in what it was trying to accomplish. Max isn't really a bad guy, nor is Barbara, so there isn't really anything other than greed and self-centeredness. This was a drama in the disguise of a super hero film, and not a very good one at that. 5/10
I stayed away from this dumpster fire, but my impression regarding the enemies was that this is part of yet another "chasing the MCU" trend. Critics bash every new MCU villain unless they're portrayed as actually a hero who is just willing to go to any end to deal with their very understandable gripes. There's a current trend to reject any villain who is just no-bones-about-it a bad person who wants bad things because they're a bad person. Critics seem to have blocked out the evening news and any reports of the many current world leaders who easily fit into the category of power-craving, manipulative, bad people, as if they don't exist in the real world so they're not believable in film. The DC films are now chasing this trend, afraid to make genuine villains. #makepalpatinegreatagain ;)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hail; Caesar!
I loathed this the first time around, but wanted to see if perhaps I was just in a bad mood and also to see if there's anything I could do with it edit wise. I just don't get this movie. The only good parts for me were the Alden Ehrenreich scenes. This movie is overall lifeless, scatterbrained and devoid of a sensical plot.....one might say, "it's complicated"....Just not my kind of picture show.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nightmare Alley. I liked this movie. It was amazing to look at and sustained my interest. It probably could’ve been a half hour shorter. But the slow burn pace did suit it. I’m not familiar with the source material, but it did feel like an attempt for Del Toro to be more grounded. Though it still has his stamp. It’s not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)
Clearly a huge effort to portray Asian-Americans and all the distinctive complications of their modern lives, but ultimately most interested in being a lightweight Xianxia tribute (that's Chinese action fantasy films). I skipped it in the theater because it wasn't the old skool Hong Kong exploitation film that the comic was and I really wanted, but it does its own thing well enough.

Gods and Generals (2003)
A prequel to Gettysburg, I watched this mostly because it was included in the DVD set. Very overlooked performance by Mira Sorvino in a bloated, mostly boring film that goes out of its way to pretend the Confederacy wasn't primarily about slavery.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hail; Caesar!
I loathed this the first time around, but wanted to see if perhaps I was just in a bad mood and also to see if there's anything I could do with it edit wise. I just don't get this movie. The only good parts for me were the Alden Ehrenreich scenes. This movie is overall lifeless, scatterbrained and devoid of a sensical plot.....one might say, "it's complicated"....Just not my kind of picture show.

I genuinely don't understand why people don't like Hail Ceaser, especially those already familiar with the Coens. Of all their filmography, it just seems like such a strange film to attract the hate that it does, and it's hardly their most "out there".

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I genuinely don't understand why people don't like Hail Ceaser, especially those already familiar with the Coens. Of all their filmography, it just seems like such a strange film to attract the hate that it does, and it's hardly their most "out there".
For me it's mostly because I just can't follow any of it or really have a reason to care about the characters. Is it a social commentary? Is it a parody of the film industry? Is it a comedy? Does it even have a plot? I really can't give any definitive answer to any of those questions. It's just.......odd to the point of peculiar and perhaps even cliquey in who can eeven access it. Raising Arizona is way out there, but at least it has a plot. This thing is just a cluster of eccentric individuals living out a few days time.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Torn. This is a story I’ve been aware of for most of my life. Alex Lowe was a climbing hero of mine. This documentary from his oldest son on his death and the subsequent (unusual) healing process of his family and his closest friend and climbing partner was very moving for me. I had followed Lowe’s career, his death, and the events that happened after. I had my questions at the time and this was a good example to not judge from afar. I loved this, but I was already more invested than most. But my wife, who didn’t share my history with the story, also loved it. Recommended.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guardians of the Galaxy.

It was gud. This maybe the 3rd time I've seen it in full? Idk. I liked it a lot, as I did the first two-ish times. My only complaints would be that there are a few moments of jokes or gags or bits lingering a bit too long, where they would have been better suited to quit while they were ahead. But this is a problem that plagues not only many marvel movies but many modern movies that have humor in them in general in my opinion. I am constantly wishing jokes in newer movies of this genre would learn to quit while they are ahead. Nothing too severe in this though.

Perhaps would be worthy of a light edit to remedy this, Ala a Possessed Edit. But I dunno if I'll ever care quite enough to actually do that. Maybe if I finish all of my other big projects im more concerned about right now (star wars, star trek etc) and I get bored and want to continue editing I'll start doing miscellaneous projects like this and a few other movies I've thought this about. (As many have pointed out my editing is very smooth and seamless, but I actually don't edit a lot. I think I can attribute my solid editing both to a background in music production that has taught me how to use the tools to edit audio seamlessly, and having a good understanding of video processing and editing from over a decade of participating in various threads at originaltrilogy.com. Maybe eventually I'll make my own thread in the general fanediting subforum as other editors have done to further elaborate on my thoughts on the principles of my possible fanediting in the future.)

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars Despecialized Remastered. Of course it's good. ;p I was talking to a friend I haven't seen since before the 'rona and we got on to talking about my Plex server, which naturally segued into fanedits so I used this as an example of what can be done.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Went on a bit of a sci-fi kick, starting off with an excellent little indie:

Infinity Chamber (2016)
Watched this for Groundhog Day, and it was a great pick, though the recursive nature of the story doesn't become apparent until nearly halfway through. You also think it's going to be one of these single-location two-hander films like Sleuth or Moon, but it does open up and becomes a whip-smart film with layers that I think went over the head of most audiences.

Cyborg 2 (1993)
A film surprisingly better than the first JCVD classic, though it has little in common with it. Decent action, but it's the great cyberpunk plotting and scenery-chewing performances that boost this above simply having the first naked Angelina Jolie performance (though that's a banger). An A-rate B-film.

The Terminator (1984)
This film is just unimpeachable. People will argue over whether T-2 is better, but for me the only real weak point here was a bit of a rushed romance and final act. Was pleased to finally catch ADigitalMan's EE which fixes both these issues, and has surprisingly good quality video for how old the edit is (deleted scenes fit perfectly.)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spencer. I didn’t watch this movie initially because I don’t give a shit about the British Royal Family. But buzz, especially for Stewart’s performance, encouraged me to watch. I’m glad I did. Stewart is great. But the movie is not what I expected. It’s very well made and is not a biopic. It’s more of a study on the human cost of servitude and how, even under seemingly idyllic circumstances, removal of free will is torture. Maybe those that do give a shit about the Royal Family will see it differently

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Megazone 23 (1985)
I'm sticking with my take that this is "the most influential anime you've never seen". Not as good as something like Evangelion or Madoka Magica, but like those it starts rather fluffy and fun but then plot events lead to much more. Available with its sequels on Youtube here.

Phase IV (1974)
Watched the excellent "Evolution" fanedit. It really turns this from a boring, goofy MST3K movie into... well, it's still kind of boring and goofy at parts, but there's some decent psychedelic sci-fi to go along with it now.

The Hunt (2012)
This is the Danish one about a male nursery school teacher who's falsely-accused of inappropriate sexual behavior. It's pretty dry for much of the center, but there's enough to dig into that I was invited on this podcast to discuss it. I was reviewing it fresh, and in further thinking I believe the bookends in the wilderness are meant to show how quickly a society can turn out a member and regard them as nothing more than an animal...a subtle critique of hunting culture and attitudes towards masculinity that I did not initially pick up.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Van Helsing (2004)

Is it a great film or masterpiece? No, certainly not. But is it a good film?

...maybe? It's certainly not as bad as it's made out to be.

It's cheesy, campy, silly, and at times even a little stupid. But these qualities are intentional to what the film is. It's also fun, exciting, and charming. It doesn't take the source material completely seriously, but it doesn't make a total farce of it either. I dare say it's even pretty well acted. Dracula himself was particularly good, I wish I could see this portrayal in a more grounded film. (Even though I like this one). Also, Frankenstein's monster is legitimately great in this.

Visually it's very pleasing as well, aside from the poor cgi. The Gothic ambiance and atmosphere are pulled off very well. It's misty, it's chilling, and you feel like you're in Transylvania. Some of the cgi hasn't aged super well, but it's not embarrassing either. In some ways it adds to the early 2000s charm, which this movie is loaded with. The score is also very memorable.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5... Maybe 7 out of 10. Far from perfect but a fun and enjoyable watch with redeeming qualities.

Over the years I've thought of a fanedit of this one. But on this watch I don't think it's worth it. Not much to do. You could trim the overly cheesy and silly moments. And it may even be to the films benefit. But difference would be small, and would it be worth making and as a viewer would it be worth downloading? Probably not.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ I used to like it when I was younger. Rewatched recently and enjoyed it, but I think it's pretty bad tbh. Has some cool moments though (werewolves!). I would like to do an edit of it, but more likely a fan-mix of sorts.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
2004 Van Helsing is a favorite of mine. It's the closest thing we have to a Castlevania movie, which is probably the direction I'd want to go if I decided to edit it.

CAL0901

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cabin in the Sky - It's a musical of sorts from 1943, starring Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, a wonderful actress and singer named Ethel Waters, and co-starring Lena Horne and Louis Armstrong. (From IMDB) "A compulsive gambler dies during a shooting, but he'll receive a second chance to reform himself and to make up with his worried wife." IMDB understates it in that the gambler is given a second chance by God, at the behest of his prayerful and faithful wife, who wants him to reform not only for the sake of their marriage, but also for his soul. The army of the Lord and the army of Lucifer try to influence Anderson's character, unbeknownst to him. Louis Armstrong plays one of Lucifer's minions, Lena Horne is the temptress with whom Anderson is having an affair.

CAL0901

Reaction score
Trophy Points
On a more modern note, my grandchildren have been having me watch a Disney musical animation titled Encanto. I have not seen enough to offer a description, so IMDB will have to do: "A Colombian teenage girl has to face the frustration of being the only member of her family without magical powers." Again, this seems understated, but will have to suffice, for now. I'm not one for musicals, but this and "Cabin in the Sky" are good exceptions.

Top Bottom