• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My Fake Criterion Covers

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Criterion ought to hire you by now.  These are just as good, sometimes better than the real thing!

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Criterion ought to hire you by now.  These are just as good, sometimes better than the real thing!

That made my day. Thank you. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Raiders and Wonderful Life covers are very nice.

I just received a copy of 1959's Ben-Hur from ebay, a 3-disc blu-ray but for some bizarre reason the cover has no mention of it being 3-discs, or what the bonus feature are. It looks like this and is pretty horrid:

2018-07-11_5b466048c3e02_ben_hur_-_mit_fsk-950x534.jpg

If you fancy having a go at making a proper 3-disc cover in a Criterion style that'd be awesome. No pressure if they film doesn't interest you. This is the info you'd need for the back cover:

DISCS ONE AND TWO: THE 1959 MOVIE
- Commentary by film historian T. Gene Hatcher with Charlton Heston
- Music-only track showcasing Miklos Rozsa’s award-winning score
- Theatrical Trailers

DISC THREE: SPECIAL FEATURES
- New Documentary: Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey
- The 1925 Silent Version: Thames Television Restoration with Stereophonic Score by Carl Davis
- 2005 Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema
- 1994 Documentary: Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic
- Ben-Hur: A Journey Through Pictures
- Screen Tests
- Highlights from the 1960 Academy Awards
- Newsreels

1959 VERSION
212 MINUTES
COLOR
5.1 SURROUND
2.75:1 ASPECT RATIO

1925 VERSION
MINUTES
BLACK & WHITE
2.0 SURROUND
1.33:1 ASPECT RATIO

Which I wrote down from this edition: http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/306994-2/Ben-Hur_BD_cover.jpg

By the way, are your covers sized for Criterion cases, or standard blu-ray cases?

Also you might find it interesting that Powerhouse/Indicator films (a European Criterion competitor) are selling their own 1 and 2 disc empty cases here for a £1: https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/accessories They are identical to criterion cases, clear plastic with the outer sleeve running all the way to the top and bottom of the box.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^^ I have that copy of Ben Hur too. It's a nice edition, but the cover is indeed crummy.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I just received a copy of 1959's Ben-Hur from ebay, a 3-disc blu-ray but for some bizarre reason the cover has no mention of it being 3-discs, or what the bonus feature are. It looks like this and is pretty horrid:

2018-07-11_5b466048c3e02_ben_hur_-_mit_fsk-950x534.jpg

If you fancy having a go at making a proper 3-disc cover in a Criterion style that'd be awesome. No pressure if they film doesn't interest you. This is the info you'd need for the back cover:

[unquoted for length]

Which I wrote down from this edition: http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/306994-2/Ben-Hur_BD_cover.jpg

Okay, sure. There's a lot of art for the movie so it shouldn't take too long.

Is this also your version? There are some differences though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ben-Hur-3-Disc-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B003BNY6XU

Any preferences for the art? I've found these, what do you think?

dgA8HPJ8FJCQzwijHeMfpiaed8R.jpg

13qn7cu3c5zz.jpg

TM2YC said:
By the way, are your covers sized for Criterion cases, or standard blu-ray cases?

I'm not completely sure, but I know they're designed for 14mm cases.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks!

theryaney said:

Yeah that looks like it. What differences?

theryaney said:

13qn7cu3c5zz.jpg

I do like original poster art, and most of the original ones for Ben-Hur are orangey/brown, so yeah that orange one, or something similar. Go with whatever font you want. It might be nice to juxtapose vintage art and a modernist font. This Japanese one is pretty nifty:

ben_hur_R68_original_film_art_spo_2000x.jpg

theryaney said:
TM2YC said:

The Criterion spine width is pretty standard I believe but the artwork stretches from the very top, to the very bottom. Most standard blu-rays have a half inch of plastic at the top and bottom, so it's something like 149mm, compared to 160mm height for criterion.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Thanks!

theryaney said:

Yeah that looks like it. What differences?

The aspect ratios are all over the place, though the one you wrote feels accurate. Also the Special Features are more detailed. Anyway, there shouldn't be a problem.

TM2YC said:
theryaney said:

13qn7cu3c5zz.jpg

I do like original poster art, and most of the original ones for Ben-Hur are orangey/brown, so yeah that orange one, or something similar. Go with whatever font you want. It might be nice to juxtapose vintage art and a modernist font. This Japanese one is pretty nifty:

ben_hur_R68_original_film_art_spo_2000x.jpg

Okay, I'll see what I can do.

TM2YC said:
theryaney said:
TM2YC said:

The Criterion spine width is pretty standard I believe but the artwork stretches from the very top, to the very bottom. Most standard blu-rays have a half inch of plastic at the top and bottom, so it's something like 149mm, compared to 160mm height for criterion.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Thanks for the info.,

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whew. This was a month ago? I've been so busy lately.

Anyway, I managed to finish the covers:

benhur.png

benhur-alternate.png

Let me know what you think. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the top one, thanks for that! :)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"theryaney" I love your Tintin mugshot!

If you plan to make a Tintin cover, I recommend you look at the inside covers of the comics. They show the "picture gallery" of his adventures. Here's how I used that long ago for my custom cover (forgive the poor legibility, I was no good at photoshop back then).

Kuifje%20dvd-cover.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
The Scribbling Man said:
Hey theryaney... Would you mind doing me a B+ cover for my Hidden edit, please?  :D 

Sure! Any info (description, runtime, stereo or surround, and aspect ratio)?

Thanks again, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. Here you go:

Runtime: 93 mins
Aspect ratio: 1:85:1
Audio: Stereo
Description:
B+ edit number 3 is a light trimming of the excellent 80’s cult B-movie “The Hidden”. As per usual, the narrative is kept mostly intact, with light trims for pacing and cuts made in favour of removing poor FX, weak acting, trashy elements and misplaced humour. With only 4 minutes cut, The Hidden: B+ Movie Edition is marginally shorter, but considerably tighter, with a tone more consistent and suited to its higher tier script.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'll finish the cover soon. Could you also send a screencap because I was struggling to find a good one.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of these 2, maybe? I feel like the first one might be apt visually/thematically, but go with whatever you think works best. 

Screenshot-2019-07-15-00-50-41.png
Screenshot-2019-07-15-01-13-40.png

Failing that, these are decent:

Screenshot-2019-07-15-00-33-46.png
Screenshot-2019-07-15-00-42-08.png

It's a pretty horrid looking DVD. Not sure how much better res these are compared to what you were finding.

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Here's one for Q2's:

artboard-copy-116.png

Hope you like it. :)

Hello again! I was planning on printing this out, but discovered the image is no longer present for the Q2 Fire Walk with Me fanedit. Do you still happen to have the cover you made?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alejandrojohanson said:
theryaney said:
Here's one for Q2's:

artboard-copy-116.png

Hello again! I was planning on printing this out, but discovered the image is no longer present for the Q2 Fire Walk with Me fanedit. Do you still happen to have the cover you made?

I have no idea why that image went offline. Anyways, here you go:

artboard-copy-116.png

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
Alejandrojohanson said:
theryaney said:
Here's one for Q2's:

artboard-copy-116.png

I have no idea why that image went offline. Anyways, here you go:

artboard-copy-116.png

I don't know why but the back reminds me of a Doctor Who Zarius cover.

Top Bottom