• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, Criterion? I remember defending that film as a teenager for being a lot better than you thought it would be.... the US market was flooded with similar-looking films at the time. I think it got lumped in with "hood films" like Trespass, Juice, and South Central, all out the same year. For those looking for noir-inspired crime films, it got lost in the mix of Unlawful Entry, One False Move, and even Reservoir Dogs. Just too much going on that year....but I never imagined this would warrant Criterion status.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think 'Deep Cover' richly deserves a Criterion release but CC set their entry bar fairly low early on :LOL: :

The-Rock-Criterion-Collection-334-Box-Set-THX[1].jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^had a look at the reviews that thing is getting.... :cry: Apparently it's got a new dub which is really bad, and the newly recorded audio also interferes with the score and other sounds.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^had a look at the reviews that thing is getting.... :cry: Apparently it's got a new dub which is really bad, and the newly recorded audio also interferes with the score and other sounds.
Are you talking about the reviews on the Amazon page? If so, those all predate this release, and I doubt any of them got advance copies. Sometimes Amazon will port over reviews of other versions, which can lead to confusion in this sort of thing.\

EDIT: They appear to be talking about a streaming version which only has the export English dub. That makes some amount of sense. More below.

According to Warner: this release features the original Cantonese mono audio (as opposed to the wonky 5.1 mix from the Thakral DVD), as well as the export English dub. The later predates the more known "Legend of Drunken Master" version. LODM got rid of the original soundtrack and removed the ending scene. The export dub audio is also missing the ending, but in this version, reverts to Canto for that scene - in either case, it retains the original music. The export dub's script is considered to be much closer to the original language dialogue than LODM which features some really heavy revisions. I'm an original language audio purist, so that doesn't really bother me either way. Some people prefer LODM because Jackie and Anita Mui (possibly other cast members as well?) did provide their own voices. The movie is notable for being one of the last Jackie Chan movies to be filmed without sync sound - I'm pretty sure none of the original actors' voices are actually used in the original Canto version. He'd done some sync sound movies earlier in the 90s, so I can only assume this holdover was because of veteran director Lau Kar Leung's Shaw Brothers style. But that's the original vision - it's what I've been waiting for.

Last edited:

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Comparison time!

Cantonese Mono (from my ancient VHS):

Cantonese 5.1, downmixed to Stereo (Thakral DVD):

Export Dub (Warner Archive Blu-Ray promo):

Legend of Drunken Master Dub (someone's random upload) :

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^So, this version does contain the original language and music, though? It seems like that's the key point... I didn't know the reviews on the page would be for old versions, so thanks for clearing that up. That's super confusing. <shakes fist> Amazooooon!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know how robust their streaming service is - never used it, save for a free trial for that Borat sequel. Maybe they don't offer multiple audio tracks? "You'll get the dub and you'll like it!" Could be. But according to the info Warner has put out, the Blu absolutely has the original Cantonese mono and English subtitles, transcribed verbatim (including typos) from the Hong Kong theatrical release. Also the Mandarin dub.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd heard the new Wong Kar Wai boxset had been poorly received because apparently he's gone all George Lucas on his films. With totally different grades, new aspect ratios and a unified credits style across all the films. There are some hi-def comparison videos showing up and holy sh*t!:

The prices for the old un-"remastered" blu-rays have shot up. I wish I'd bought a few copies now.

catferoze

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The prices for the old un-"remastered" blu-rays have shot up. I wish I'd bought a few copies now.
I love Wong Kar Wai's work enough to give these "restorations" a watch but that green filter on In the Mood for Love makes me want to cry

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The legendary 'Ishtar' is getting the limited-edition, extras-packed treatment by the Indicator label in July:

71A-61XTKtS._AC_SL1300_[1].jpg

The Director's Cut had a US blu-ray release before but this new set will also have the much maligned Theatrical Cut, in HD for the first time.

If you can't stand the wait, here is the trailer on a loop for 2-hours:

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think 'Deep Cover' richly deserves a Criterion release but CC set their entry bar fairly low early on :LOL: :

View attachment 208
I'm hoping Deep Cover gets a UK Criterion release. That's a film taking me back to the early nineties hanging with my friends at my flat and doing ...well nothing with our lives. Oh the days when life was simpler ...i didn't have a pot to pi$$ in :) but life was good.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The new August release bluray's from Australian Company Via Vision is insane....everyone is a corker. I had my daughter who lives in Australia send me a package full of earlier Imprint releases but this lot are just beautiful and i'll definitely be getting her to ship them to me. I will be so happy if the Straight Story is the new rumoured Studio Canal 4K remaster but i suppose we won't know until the reviews start coming in.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
View attachment 123

I notice this forthcoming (June) Indiana Jones boxset says "Each film has been meticulously remastered from 4K scans of the original negatives with extensive visual effects work done to ensure the most pristine and highest quality image. All picture work was approved by director Steven Spielberg.". Which could mean the little changes made to the films are reversed, or it could mean more of them?

Will we ever see Marion swig the vodka and spit it flaming into the bad guys face again? It's on the VHS !!

Top Bottom