• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was a fanedit for a movie (I forget the name) that the director liked enough, that the fan editor ended up working on the directors cut for the Blu-Ray. I don’t remember what it was, but it was good by all accounts.

And there was that Waterworld Ulysses Fan Cut (an extended edition) where the Arrow or Shout disc had an offical extended cut named after the edit. I think there was a little booklet inside the case about it.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was a Brian De Palma movie. Raising Cain, I believe? He saw the fanedit, got in contact with the editor, and it is now the official directors cut on the officially licensed blu rays.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There was a fanedit for a movie (I forget the name) that the director liked enough, that the fan editor ended up working on the directors cut for the Blu-Ray. I don’t remember what it was, but it was good by all accounts.

And there was that Waterworld Ulysses Fan Cut (an extended edition) where the Arrow or Shout disc had an offical extended cut named after the edit. I think there was a little booklet inside the case about it.
I think the Ulysses Fan Cut misses out on one use of 'goddamn' that was present in the theatrical version but censored in TV airings. 🤔

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was a Brian De Palma movie. Raising Cain, I believe? He saw the fanedit, got in contact with the editor, and it is now the official directors cut on the officially licensed blu rays.
Yes, I think that's the right one. I heard about that a while back. From Wikipedia:
A Collector's Edition Blu-ray of the film featuring the director's cut as well as the theatrical cut was released on September 13, 2016. The director's cut features scenes that are reorganized as originally intended. The cut was originally edited by Peet Gelderblom, a director from the Netherlands and a long-time De Palma fan, who found out De Palma had regrets about the theatrical cut, re-edited the film to more closely resemble the original script and posted the result on IndieWire in January 2012. De Palma came across Gelderblom's edit and was impressed by it, and successfully arranged to have the cut added to the Blu-ray release.

15MaF

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i didnt see this one coming... @15MaF @TM2YC

Well I've only just seen the hidefdigest spice mining inspection flight 4K clip....and does it ever look tidy. Really tidy. As the Thopter comes in to land there is just no dirt. Very nice. Whilst I'm not set up for 4K, certainly for editing, I can see myself using the 2K to augment my fan edit at some point - just for the clean crisp image alone. Without any deleted extras included at higher resolution, I don't see the point in my forcing the edit to be in 4K. Plenty of folk are going to be very content with the official restoration as it is. Looks like it's been done very well so far.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like nothing of the footage outside the theatrical cut is incorporated, so your edit is still safe, @15MaF :) Unless those scenes get a loving restoration, the HD footage next to them will just make the difference more jarring when watching. There's certainly room for an extended cut still.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The legendary 1954 BBC TV-movie adaptation of 1984, starring Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence, Wilfrid Brambell and André Morell, is getting its first ever official release on home video (I think) in an HD remaster on BFI blu-ray next month and they've shared a clip, it looks amazing:

Presumably unless you're at least about 70 and saw the original broadcast, you're unikely to have seen it. There was apparently a motion tabled in Parliament about the broadcast at the time, accusing the BBC of pandering to "sexual and sadistic tastes" but I imagine it'll look somewhat more tame a half century later... or perhaps not?

Last edited:

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started to watch this on Youtube about a year ago...i never did finish it. So i will definitely give it a rent and possible buy if i enjoy it....well you can't really enjoy Orwell but you know what i mean :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Filmed in 1984, released 2021. An absolute gem, the best kind of bad movie. Never boring, always something remarkable (be it cheesy dialogue, poor fight scenes, sloppy film making, or the few genuine moments of competence), quality soundtrack. But the behind-the-scenes story is far more entertaining than the film itself - the extras are a must-watch. Without audio (some deleted scenes have visible boom mics, making the missing sound more mysterious), lacking a script (one was found later that did not match the exiting footage), and with scene numbers not providing a logical order of events - Vinegar Syndrome resorted to finishing the movie based on lip-reading, their best guess work, and some earnest creativity of their own. The film's antagonist is one of the most odd and enigmatic I've ever seen. Any time he's on screen, you're likely to be greeted with some bizarre behavior, ability, or inexplicable motivation. I don't say this lightly - even for an unfinished film, this is a remarkably poor production. It makes the likes of Samurai Cop and Miami Connection seem competent by comparison. Strongly recommended. Right now, I'd consider it to be my favorite 2021 movie, if you count it as such.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started to watch this on Youtube about a year ago...i never did finish it. So i will definitely give it a rent and possible buy if i enjoy it....well you can't really enjoy Orwell but you know what i mean :)

I couldn't find a copy on youtube before, this was because it was region blocked in the UK. That upload looks terrible quality compared to even the youtube compressed trailer of the restoration:

51945307961_1c57a87ec3_o.jpg

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At long last, Police Story 3: Supercop is getting a proper release! And for you 4K people (in whatever region the UK is for that format), the first three in a box set! Note that the extended Japanese cut of part 1 isn't making the cut, so stick with Eureka's previous Blu-Ray if that's of importance to you. That's my favorite cut of the film, but all three are great in their own way.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know it's not official, but Jackie Chan's First Strike was always obviously the 4th Police Story film to me, and the last good one before the horrible New Police Story soft reboot. Bummer that they're not including that here.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know it's not official, but Jackie Chan's First Strike was always obviously the 4th Police Story film to me, and the last good one before the horrible New Police Story soft reboot. Bummer that they're not including that here.

What do you mean, "Not official"? It was originally released as Police Story 4: First Strike, before being supplanted by the international cut. Granted, it has very little to do with the rest of the series - the absence of the May character is particularly jarring. But that's how it was first released. I think Warner has the rights to that one. They've done uncut releases Mr. Nice Guy and Drunken Mater II in recent years, I expect it to come eventually. If anything, I'd rather have the Michelle Yeoh lead spinoff sometimes titled Supercop 2 included - Jackie has a cameo.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^My mistake...in Australia, Canada, the US, UK, Germany, and many other places, all the official titling and promotional material did not list it as connected to Police Story when it was first released. The US dub also obscures any connections. I had thought that was the official stance...(I see now that the HK title was always Jing cha gu shi 4: Zhi jian dan ren wu); you see the above marketing materials terming it a "trilogy", which is how I'd seen it advertised before. As if First Strike was a red-headed stepchild and the series need a fresh start after, so it's The Trilogy -> New Police Story.
Personally, First Strike is one of my favorite JC movies. I appreciate Supercop 2, but it doesn't quite hold up compared to the other films, imho, and JC's cameo is pretty blatantly wedged in. I would love for it to be more widely available, though.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Police Story is my fav Jackie film (well, tied with Miracles that is), so I was very happy to see the email from Eureka with this news. Odd that the extended cut isn’t included in the 4K but is in the regular set. I’m so glad to see these nice labels giving proper restorations and releases for my favorote subgenre, HK action. 88 Films, Eureka, and Arrow also do lots of spaghetti westerns, which is my 2nd fav subgenre. Only thing I’m waiting on is more John Woo and Ringo Lam. My two favorite gun fight directors, and it’s a shame that most of their films are on really crappy blu-rays and their rights tied up. Regardless, excited to see more 4K titles from Eureka and 88 Films going forward. Can’t wait to watch Dragons Forever and this trilogy in 4K!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A childhood classic that used to be on repeat in my house is getting the 4K treatment ... a good bit of propaganda TV during this current political climate :) I really do think i am a kid again sometimes...Ghostbusters at the cinema ...war with Russia. I hope this gets a UK release

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A childhood classic that used to be on repeat in my house is getting the 4K treatment ... a good bit of propaganda TV during this current political climate :) I really do think i am a kid again sometimes...Ghostbusters at the cinema ...war with Russia. I hope this gets a UK release

Haha, I think the same. I watched this movie plenty times, a great childhood classic.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
t only Miami Connection is getting a 4k release also Cloak & Dagger, what a classic from my childhood.

We must be of a similar age..this was another one i used to love. I will be importing this i think (y) I already got the VS The BeastMaster set

Top Bottom