Fanedit Forums
1001 Movies in Chronological Order - Printable Version

+- Fanedit Forums (https://forums.fanedit.org)
+-- Forum: General Topics (https://forums.fanedit.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Movies (https://forums.fanedit.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order (/showthread.php?tid=12356)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - bionicbob - 04-04-2019

(04-04-2019, 06:17 PM)TM2YC Wrote: How does a sequel work? 

It has been years since I seen it but my recollection is Kane (Lee Majors) returns to town a few years after the original movie to find the town is in the iron grip of an evil Sheriff.  Kane of course tries to ignore it and live his life, but bad things keep happening, including the death of his friend.  Finally he has to put the badge back on to save the town.   It is a fairly standard reluctant hero plot.  Mostly I just remember being excited to see BOTH Lee Majors AND David Carradine together onscreen. Wink  I see amazon has the dvd pretty cheap, it may be time to revisit this dusty gem. lol

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - Collipso - 04-08-2019

wow, i definitely wasn't expecting to see Pink Flamingos on the list. has anyone seen it? is it a well known picture out there?

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - thecuddlyninja - 04-09-2019

I grew up near Baltimore where they play Waters' movies all the time. While they're not really my cup of tea, I've seen them all and can appreciate most of them. You've got to put one of those anarchic movies on the list, and Pink Flamingos is a good choice. If you're walking through film history, you've got to see what the anti-everything punk rock reaction to the times was. Waters' films usually fascinate me because he's a very talented visual artist, and he takes that skill and applies it to gonzo, gross out, transgressive, madness. I usually admire it more than I enjoy it, but it's undeniably interesting.

Pink Flamingos is the one that blew up, has the most infamous Waters scene ever, is probably the most disgusting, least meaningful and the least accessible of all his movies. So, probably the best choice, really.

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - Rogue-theX - 04-09-2019

*googles* Oh, that movie. Someone on the telly just timely said "I think I'm going to be sick".

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - TM2YC - 04-11-2019

66 years ago...

[Image: 32473829777_86662102ac_o.jpg]

Umberto D. (1952)
Director: Vittorio De Sica
Length: 89 minutes
Type: Drama

Incredibly, the title character of Mr. Umberto was retired academic Carlo Battisti's only role. His aged puppy-dog eyes made me want to cry. Umberto is a poor yet proud, kindly old gentleman, who is facing eviction by his callous landlady. His only real friends are his beloved little dog Flike and a free-spirited teenage housemaid who he has a sort of grandfather/granddaughter relationship with.  We see him taken to the brink of suicide but it's caring for his dog that keeps him living. Vittorio De Sica often artfully conveys the old man's deepest feelings without words, through a camera move, a change in music, or a well timed cut.  'Umberto D' is one of the most beautifully sad films I've yet seen.

Another Jean Renoir film next (in colour).

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - Canon Editor - 04-12-2019

Umberto D. is one of the most schockingly sad movies I have ever seen, and one of the most beautiful.

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - TM2YC - 04-14-2019

(04-12-2019, 10:40 AM)Canon Editor Wrote: Umberto D. is one of the most schockingly sad movies I have ever seen, and one of the most beautiful.

Indeed, yet it left me feeling somehow uplifted.

66 years ago...

[Image: 32473829827_2917ac8fbd_o.jpg]

The Golden Coach (1952)
Director: Jean Renoir
Length: 103 minutes
Type: Farce

A band of Italian Commedia dell'arte players rock up in a Spanish 18th-century Peruvian colony. Camilla (Anna Magnani) their hot-tempered leading lady soon attracts three ardent competing suitors, a dangerous champion bull-fighter, a grave young soldier and the charmingly unconventional Viceroy of the province (who has purchased the fabulous titular coach). Jean Renoir blurs the line between the play being performed and the film we are watching in a vibrant Technicolor farce. Magnani delivers so many laugh-out-loud moments with her mock-outrage and I really enjoyed Duncan Lamont's irreverent performance as the Viceroy. The music of Vivaldi adds an extra romantic sheen. I'd like to see a modern 4K digital restoration done because I imagine the current 2004 DVD transfer doesn't do it full justice.

A film by a trailblazing female Director next.

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - TM2YC - 04-15-2019

65 years ago...

[Image: 40450376203_8cdf288ae7_o.jpg]

The Bigamist (1953)
Director: Ida Lupino
Length: 80 minutes
Type: Drama

'The Bigamist' was Directed by co-star Ida Lupino, which was a first for a female actor and very rare in 1950s Hollywood. So I was a little surprised to find it had arguably sexist elements. The film shows through flashback how a traveling salesman came to be married to two women, in two cities. The music and Direction work to milk our sympathies for the poor schlub as he tries to do right by both of his wives but never really points the finger at him. He cheats on his first wife, which is somehow excused because she can't have children and he feels she has emasculated him by being much better at business and even able to change the tire of their car (the scandal of it! Big Grin ). The dinner party scene where she is offering "wild and dangerous opinions of her own" as he looks at her "with utter contempt" was laughably close to this classic 90s comedy sketch:

In the end he doesn't even have the backbone to confess to either woman face-to-face, which is played as a sort of nobility. It's all very well acted and Directed and even enjoyable but I just couldn't feel sorry for the main character like the film wanted me to. By the way, one of the wives works as a waitress in a Chinese restaurant, which would be a somewhat progressive setting on the surface but it only demonstrates the insidious subtlety of 1950s Hollywood racism. She calls her Chinese-American boss "Sam" but the script still requires him to call his employee "Miss Martin".

Fred Astaire makes a return in Technicolor next.

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - TM2YC - 04-16-2019

65 years ago...

[Image: 47571419522_5248a16b7f_o.jpg]

The Band Wagon (1953)
Director: Vincente Minnelli
Length: 111 minutes
Type: Musical

'The Band Wagon' has the entertainment business sending itself up, as more and more demanding creatives join a new musical production and transform it into something unrecognisable and awful. Jack Buchanan is a scream as the pretentious and outrageous Producer of the show, the scene where he his (over)acting out the plot for investors is hilarious. Fred Astaire is at his debonair best playing a fading old-fashioned star, paired with a hot, much younger ballet dancer, played by Cyd Charisse (Wowser, how about that red dress!). The two are like fire and ice, in the story and on the screen. There are too many numbers with only a loose connection to the plot for my taste but the dancing talent, incredible choreography and inventive visual style are undeniable. The finale is a condensed Film-Noir movie set to dance, which was famously copied very closely for the 'Smooth Criminal' music video.

My favourite sequence was 'Shine on Your Shoes', featuring Leroy Daniels. The imagination and footwork in this one scene is eye-popping:

Another Max Ophüls film next.

RE: 1001 Movies in Chronological Order - TM2YC - 04-17-2019

65 years ago...

[Image: 46708910805_15bbb69c77_o.jpg]

Madame de... (1953)
Director: Max Ophüls
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Romance, Drama

'Madame de...' (aka 'The Earrings of Madame de…') is another tale of star-crossed Romance from Max Ophüls. His waltzing camera work and the exquisite production design, filling every inch of the frame with, ball gowns, dress uniforms, candelabras and ornate mirrors create a dreamlike atmosphere. We follow a pair of earrings as they change hands multiple times between three people in a love triangle, symbolic of their shifting emotions. Famed Italian Neo-Realist Director Vittorio De Sica (I just watched his 'Umberto D.') plays one third of the triangle with powerful nobility. I can't say which he is better at, Directing, or Acting?

Another Fred Zinnemann film next.