• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

TM2YC's 1001 Movies (Chronological up to page 25/post 481)

^Good call on Pai Mei. I forgot that the flashback scenes of Kiddo's kung fu training aren't actually shown until KB2. In KB1, Gordon Liu actually plays the other Bruce Lee character, the Kato homage.

I was going to write a reply about KB and the comparisons to other films, but decided it's better to throw that in the Influence, Homage, or Theft? thread. Getting back to your reviews, I'm surprised you didn't have more to say about Chinatown. I feel like it's at least as rich as the Godfather films, no? It's often cited as the tightest and best Hollywood script of all time, and typically listed as the first Neo-Noir film, defining the rules of that playground for the next several decades. I haven't watched it in many years, since I found it so bleak and cynical and true that it was a soul-crushing experience. Probably time for a rewatch to see if it hits me the same way though.

mnkykungfu said:
Gordon Liu actually plays the other Bruce Lee character, the Kato homage.

Well that's it exactly. Having a guy in a Kato mask (and mentioning it in the dialogue) isn't copying a Bruce Lee character, or an important homage, it's barely a memorable reference for me. Do you think Kill Bill is a rip off of the Peanuts comic strip because there is a guy who has a Charlie Brown kimono (also mentioned in the dialogue)?

mnkykungfu said:
I'm surprised you didn't have more to say about Chinatown. I feel like it's at least as rich as the Godfather films, no? It's often cited as the tightest and best Hollywood script of all time, and typically listed as the first Neo-Noir film, defining the rules of that playground for the next several decades.

GF1 is arguably (if not undoubtedly) the finest ever gangster film (although there will be votes for 'Goodfellas' I'd imagine) but there are so many great Noir films (before it and afterwards), of which 'Chinatown' is just one of the best ones. It's a high quality production no doubt but I didn't think it stood out from the pack like GF1 does. Personally, I don't think 'L.A. Confidential' can be bettered as a neo-noir. Plus the Noir genre was fully defined many decades before 'Chinatown' but GF1 reset the Gangster genre standard, then and forever. I must get round to watching the sequel to 'Chinatown', I've had it on DVD for years in a Jack Nicholson boxset.

<hr style="border: 1px solid white;" />

50764064591_c348afa174_o.jpg

The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978)
Director: Fred Schepisi
Length: 122 minutes
Type: Drama, Crime, Western

Based on the life of Jimmy Governor, a half Aboriginal man who committed the 1900 "Breelong Massacre".  Though the film (and the book it's based on) appear to stick fairly close to the facts, they changed the names and details anyway to give some room for artistic licence. The first half takes us on a journey forwards with Jimmie across the Australian landscape as he finds places to work and live but he faces open and persistent racism from the white people he works for. His employers repeatedly swindle, brutalise, short change and verbally abuse Jimmie, no matter how hard he works for them and his inability to completely hide his anger gets him into trouble. One day he's had enough, so picks up an axe and rifle and goes on a killing spree and the second half of the film takes us backwards where he came from, settling scores. Director Fred Schepisi doesn't hold back on the violence, causing it to be banned on home video in the UK until 1987 (it was passed uncut in cinemas though). I suppose you could put 'The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith' in the neo-Western genre.

50764177872_c29a284ea4_o.jpg

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)
Director: John Cassavetes
Length: 108 minutes
Type: Drama, Crime, Noir

This is the first John Cassavetes film that I've actually liked and I liked it a lot. Ben Gazzara plays Cosmo Vittelli, a melancholy LA strip club owner. He's obsessed with putting on artistic and bizarre burlesque shows, even though his patrons angrily shout about just wanting to see nudity.  The story begins with Cosmo finally paying off a large gambling debt but to celebrate he goes for a wild night on the town with his favourite gals and ends up racking up another huge debt. This time the gangsters don't simply want money, they force him to assassinate the titular "Chinese Bookie" for them. I instantly recognised this documentary-style noir crime film about a character struggling to get back on top, not fully aware that they're the architects of their own destruction, as a primary influence on the Safdie brothers. Replace the rough realistic sound with their trademark dense mix and stick on a pounding synth score and it's the same attitude and subject. Cosmo's girlfriend is played by the jaw-dropping Azizi Johari who'd just been a "Playmate of the Month" and is the girl with the giant afro in the canvas on Dick Halloran's wall in 'The Shining'.

50764177922_558843b7db_o.jpg

Days of Heaven (1978)
Director: Terrence Malick
Length: 94 minutes
Type: Drama, Romance

Terrence Malick's second film looks and sounds gorgeous. Every shot is a contender for the most beautiful thing ever captured on film, the dense soundscape hums with the power of nature and the music by Ennio Morricone/Leo Kottke is so evocative of the time and place. However, I felt the four characters were a bit distant and ill defined, so I didn't know what to take away from 'Days of Heaven' beyond the observation that "Fields of wheat, gently blowing in the breeze, lit by golden magic-hour sunlight, sure look purdy". My search for a Terrence Malick film that I can wholeheartedly love continues.

TM2YC said:
mnkykungfu said:
Gordon Liu actually plays the other Bruce Lee character, the Kato homage.
Well that's it exactly. Having a guy in a Kato mask (and mentioning it in the dialogue) isn't copying a Bruce Lee character, or an important homage, it's barely a memorable reference for me. Do you think Kill Bill is a rip off of the Peanuts comic strip because there is a guy who has a Charlie Brown kimono (also mentioned in the dialogue)?

No, I wouldn't say KB is a "rip off" of the Peanuts, or even an homage. There's just a verbal joke. But yes, there's a deliberate homage to Kato if you put any thought to the context Tarantino is making the film in. He loves swiping from Bruce Lee and the '70s, and he includes several of these in the film. "Charlie Brown" doesn't have a dog or miss kicking a football, but "Kato" does wear a suit and kick ass. He's also played by probably the greatest living contemporary of Lee's. But it's simply an homage, not outright theft like the plot from Game of Death:D
mnkykungfu said:
I'm surprised you didn't have more to say about Chinatown. I feel like it's at least as rich as the Godfather films, no? It's often cited as the tightest and best Hollywood script of all time, and typically listed as the first Neo-Noir film, defining the rules of that playground for the next several decades.

GF1 is arguably (if not undoubtedly) the finest ever gangster film (although there will be votes for 'Goodfellas' I'd imagine) but there are so many great Noir films (before it and afterwards), of which 'Chinatown' is just one of the best ones. It's a high quality production no doubt but I didn't think it stood out from the pack like GF1 does. Personally, I don't think 'L.A. Confidential' can be bettered as a neo-noir. Plus the Noir genre was fully defined many decades before 'Chinatown' but GF1 reset the Gangster genre standard, then and forever. I must get round to watching the sequel to 'Chinatown', I've had it on DVD for years in a Jack Nicholson boxset.

Well, unfortunately (or fortunately if you find different points of view stimulating) I just completely disagree with you on these. The Godfather is a fine film, but there were many defining gangster films before and after. I prefer Angels With Dirty Faces and Scarface, to name an example of each. On the other hand, while there are great films like Double Indemnity or (the incredibly over-rated) L.A. Confidential, for me Chinatown stands head and shoulders above them as the end-all-be-all noir detective story. But hey, we're kind of splitting hairs here, as nobody is saying any of these aren't great. But that's the fun of talking film, right?  :) Everybody can have their preferences.

A fine time to tick off some of the Christmas(ish) movies on the 1001 list...

50768226061_5918740b60_o.jpg

The Sound of Music (1965)
Director: Robert Wise
Length: 174 minutes
Type: Musical, Drama

I spent a lot of Christmas day re-watching the 3-hours of 'The Sound of Music' spread in between the various activities of the day.  It's not set at Christmas but the central theme of mending a broken family is at the core of a lot of the truly great movies of the genre, so it totally feels like one.  Julie Andrews' Maria is such an irresistibly loveable and wholesome character, that's the overall spirit of the movie too.  Even the potentially "wicked stepmother" type Baroness is decent and understanding.  I loved the scene where she raises the subject of her fiancee Captain von Trapp's mutual attraction to Maria, with Maria and you can see the shock on the Baroness' face as she realises Maria is completely naive and innocent and genuinely not trying to rival her.  There are a few songs in the middle that don't really need to be there plot wise but the standard is so high that I didn't mind.  It always takes me be surprise how early the wedding is into the runtime, with about an hour still to go covering the Anschluss.  The widescreen vistas of Austria and Bavaria look insanely beautiful, the greenest greens and bluest blues.  Unlike some musicals of the period (including other Robert Wise musicals), 'The Sound of Music' never looks like it was shot on a soundstage (although interiors were), the vast locations are always just outside the window.  The 4K version streaming on Disney+ looks marvellous.

50768226106_84a4bc8070_o.jpg

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Director: Tim Burton
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Fantasy, Romance

It's difficult to choose between 'Edward Scissorhands' and 'Ed Wood' for the title of Tim Burton's best film but it's one of the Eddies.  Burton combines shades of classic fairytales and horror like 'Pinnochio', 'Frankenstein', 'The Wizard of Oz', and 'Beauty and the Beast', with his own askew vision of 1960s kitsch suburban Americana and spins it all into an entirely fresh, modern, colourful, consumerist fantasy.  Although it makes perfect sense dramatically and the characters and story are always consistent, the actual premise gives zero f**ks about reality on any level.  If you're picking apart the logic of 'Edward Scissorhands', then you're watching it wrong.  It makes no more, or less sense than a Prince climbing up Rapunzel's hair.  I wish more films would take this pure fantasy route.  Danny Elfman has done many fine scores but this has to be his most magical and enchanting.  The scene where Winona Ryder is dancing in the snowflakes from Edward's angel sculpture is a perfect union of Burton's romantic visuals and Elfman's musicbox score.  If I had to find a fault, the "I love you" line feels like it needed a tad more development to fully earn it.  Dianne Wiest is so wonderfully kooky and kind as the mother and Alan Arkin's performance as the father is hilariously deadpan and spaced out.  It's as if Burton told him to play it like he was high.  I'd forgotten about it being a Christmas-set movie and about the bedtime-story framing device.

(the tagline on the original poster is unfortunate given recent court proceedings :D )

That beautiful ice dance scene:

50767486983_bbb663d461_o.jpg

A Christmas Story (1983)
Director: Bob Clark
Length: 94 minutes
Type: Comedy

I quite vividly remember watching this once when I was probably the same age as little Ralphie but I've never seen it again until today.  It captures that feeling of pent up anticipation leading up to finally unwrapping those presents.  A lot of that is conveyed through the continuous, exaggerated and effusive voice-over from an unseen, older Ralphie.  'A Christmas Story' somehow manages to convey the fun and warmth of the season in a magical way, while at the same time sharply satirising the holiday as it really is, with family bickering, cooking disasters, a tacky department store Santa, unwanted presents and the tree almost certainly falling over at some stage.  As they often say, it's funny because it's true.

A bit of a "girly night in" classic rom-com/musical triple bill...

50776136601_e7a5960d3f_o.jpg

Grease (1978)
Director: Randal Kleiser
Length: 110 minutes
Type: Musical, Comedy

I've danced many a time to the Grease Megamix at discos and Christmas parties, it's a cheesy party staple but I'd never actually seen the film.  Four of the numbers 'Summer Nights', 'Greased Lightnin'', 'You're the One That I Want' and 'We Go Together' are stone cold classics, the other 15-20 songs are more forgettable.  The two hours meander and dragged a bit in the middle.  I didn't find Olivia Newton-John a particularly appealing lead, either as clean-cut Sandy, or "sexy" Sandy but you can't take your eyes off John Travolta when he's on screen. He can sing, he can dance and he's equally suited to being a cool greaser, as being shy and sweet around Sandy.  This has got to be influential on films like 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Back to the Future', plus highschool films in general.

50775378908_342514d889_o.jpg

Pretty Woman (1990)
Director: Garry Marshall
Length: 119 minutes
Type: Romantic Comedy

I'd never seen this one before, now I can see why it remains a romcom classic.  At first I was distracted by the prudish decision to try and make a movie about a prostitute with no nudity, barely any sex (mostly implication, cutaways, or distant/obscured footage), no drinking, no smoking, no drugs and sparse naughty language.  I actually laughed when after an early scene implying Julia Roberts is going down on Richard Gere, it smash cuts to him in the shower, as if the movie is literally keeping things clean.  However, the general good natured tone and winning chemistry from the two leads quickly had me charmed and the easy humour really landed for me.  I enjoyed the relationship between Hector Elizondo's hotel manager, initially presented as a snob but is kind hearted.  I wasn't surprised to read that the last act hadn't been finalised until well into production because it felt awkward.  You want a fairytale ending and you do get one but it's uneven and botched in the execution.  Suddenly having one of the characters turn out to be a violent rapist was misjudged.  A key part of James Newton Howard's piano love theme 'He Sleeps' is exactly the same as Bruce Springsteen's 1978 song 'Racing in the Street' so it totally worked for me because I love that song.

Pretty Woman' certainly defined the romcom poster look:

5RomComPosters.jpg

50776136566_5f402aa9d4_o.jpg

When Harry Met Sally... (1989)
Director: Rob Reiner
Length: 96 minutes
Type: Romantic Comedy

It took me a long time to get round to this classic romantic-comedy but it's every bit as good as they say and I plan on re-watching it again. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal have terrific chemistry and I loved his deader-than-deadpan delivery. Nora Ephron's dialogue is full of non-stop, quotable, memorable and laugh out loud banter.

^You'll notice WHMS uses the same two full figures facing off poster, and beat Pretty Woman by a year. I'd say PW was playing with the already established formula. Probably WHMS was too, by putting so much space between them. I wonder what the very first was? Maybe Love Story?
1971-love_story.jpg

(And as a former theatre kid, it's hysterical to me that you knew all the big Grease songs and knew next to nothing about the film! :D )

BTW, check out the image used in Scandinavia and Germany...quite different! 
nar_harry_traffade_sally_89.jpg

But I did find a few more examples that demonstrate your theory.  This has definitely become yet another tired rom-com cliche. Some of these are just shameless:
backtoback12.jpg

backtoback2.jpg

backtoback6.jpg

backtoback4.jpg

B8PaGB6CQAADtV4.jpg

The WHMS is similar but sort of the opposite in that it's about the negative space between the two of them (with the text actually creating a further division), rather than the idea of them being glued close to each other, irresistibly attracted but with a hint of resistance.  It's the back-to-back leaning on each other, the large pink or red title and the white background that PW mints.  You posted some very good examples of posters that copy some or all of the motifs.

I found a newer promotional image where they've made a lame attempt to reconfigure the original poster in the now standard romcom style:

4c717297-444a-474d-9422-bfd471215968.jpg

That love story one is a newer image, modelled on the romcom style poster.  The original poster was this boring, functional thing:

51Yxe6SOy1L._AC_.jpg

I always like looking at promotional art from different places around the world. It shows how the marketing departments thought the movie would play to different audiences. Those pictures are clearly from the time of the film, not composites. I guess they just decided not to use them for the poster. But they've been used since.
2fe4b282785a8af9bbfc8ca920bbfde5.jpg

As for the poster layout, I wasn't looking at it so narrowly as that the two figures must be back to back, or the lady pulling the guy's tie. Those are what I called "shameless": they're identical.  Simply the act of making the main poster image only your two leads, in full figure, opposite each other, is a pretty strong set of choices. I don't think there are very many examples of that before WHMS, but I'm ready to learn if there are! And yeah, the gulf between them is symbolic, and the new poster is lame.

Side note: My old roommate and I used to have our place filled wall-to-wall with film posters. We loved tracing the design influence (he was an artist who became a graphic designer) and seeing which artists influenced later film posters. He was a big Drew Struzan fan (as am I), which is funny because his compositions have become the go-to MCU poster now. Used to be people would walk down our hall and think WE were stupid for having all his posters dominating...that's the marketplace now.

50784442348_135fcdd20c_o.jpg

Scarface (1983)
Director: Brian De Palma
Length: 170 minutes
Type: Drama, Ganster, Epic

I've watched Brian De Palma's 'Scarface' remake several times and I've never completely enjoyed it before but I keep coming back to it and this time it really clicked.  The problem I had was with Tony being such an irredeemably nasty person from the first scene to the last (most of the rest of the characters are awful people too).  This isn't Al Pacino's Michael Corleone, where we like him at first and he's got a downward arc. but this time I started to see that Tony does have some admirable and sympathetic traits.  He's got all these grand ideas of greatness and importance but as everybody keeps telling him he's an "uneducated peasant", greedy, loud, brash and vulgar, so he can never escape his own shortcomings.  It's a tragic fall and it's ultimately an act of mercy and morality, a line he won't cross, which is his downfall.  I still don't like Tony but I can sort of respect him as a character.  Compared to the depictions of the slick corrupted police, lawyers and bankers in 'Scarfae', he's positively principled.

The 3-hour runtime certainly doesn't drag as it's so stuffed with incident and action, plus Giorgio Moroder's thrilling synth score drives the whole thing along.  Even then, most of the events of Tony's life story are condensed into an iconic 'Rocky'-style montage, cutting the image of money running through a counting machine to the beat of Paul Engemann's 'Push It to the Limit'.  The most memorable scene is of course the one with the chainsaw.  It's amazing how violent and terrifying it is because you see nothing, it's all achieved through sound and suggestion.  It's also dramatically important because it demonstrates how insanely committed Tony is, he won't roll over for anybody, even if they are about to slowly put a chainsaw through his head.  Writer Oliver Stone's decision to recontextualise the original prohibition story to the political/social upheaval of the Cuba/Miami 'Mariel boatlift' and cocaine dealing was a stroke of genius.  I don't think you'd get away with casting Italian-American's Al Pacino, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Robert Loggia as Cuban-American's today, with slightly darkened skin and saying things like "my-anne" instead of "man".  Co-star Steven Bauer was actually Cuban-American though.

50785200691_79afd53e87_o.jpg

Videodrome (1983)
Director: David Cronenberg
Length: 89 minutes
Type: Sci-Fi, Horror

James Woods plays Max Renn, a TV-exec who becomes obsessed by a disturbing pirate broadcast called "Videodrome" and the shadowy forces behind it but how much is he hallucinating? Even though it centers on forms of communication technology that were probably obsolete before the film left theaters in 1983, it still manages to feel like it's talking about modern concerns. It's rooted in an era that worried about illegal under-the-counter/carboot VHS tapes (or Beta in the film) and pirate violent/pornographic TV signals out there in the ether but translates perfectly well to 2019 fears of cyber-terrorism, the dark web and phone signal induced brain tumours. As usual for David Cronenberg, the stomach churning practical FX look startlingly real.  One of the best Cronenberg films.

50785200711_bb7a6139de_o.jpg

The Nutty Professor (1963)
Director: Jerry Lewis
Length: 107 minutes
Type: Comedy

I get the impression that Jerry Lewis' 'The Nutty Professor' (a take on 'Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde') is his most well loved film.  I'd sort of subscribe to that notion in that I hated it less than his others.  Lewis plays Professor Julius F. Kelp, an unrelentingly awkward, buck toothed, accident-prone, nerd chemist (Lewis isn't a friend of subtlety), who discovers a formula to transform himself into "Buddy Love", a brash, lothario and crooner.  Lewis over plays Kelp but does elicit some sympathy for the hapless nice guy but he doesn't manage to summon up enough charm and sexy cool to fully convince as Buddy either.  There was one joke that made me laugh (Lewis isn't on screen) when the university head asks his distracted secretary "Where's your pad?!" and she responds "Oh it's only about a mile from the campus...".  I saw the Eddie Murphy remake back in the 90s but the only thing I remember about that one was that it was forgettable.

TM2YC said:
50784442348_135fcdd20c_o.jpg

I've never completely enjoyed it before but I keep coming back to it and this time it really clicked. 

Yes, welcome to the fold, brother!  PUSH IT TO THE LIMIIIIIIIT!

50787778093_e7f9e4daf9_o.jpg

Tristana (1970)
Director: Luis Bunuel
Length: 100 minutes
Type: Drama

Catherine Deneuve plays the title character, a young orphaned woman who becomes the ward of the aged Don Lope (Fernando Rey), a Spanish gentleman of leisure in the 1920/30s.  He treats her as both daughter and wife and discourages her from leaving the house, all things she increasingly rebels against.  The subtle age makeup on Deneuve and Rey is brilliant, you know they both look much older and more tired by the end but can't remember any point when you noticed it happening.  The small cast of characters are wonderfully complex, drawing sympathy and compassion for the persons, arguably least deserving of it.  The sound is post-synced and Deneuve is dubbed into Spanish but it's done very well, you hardly notice.  'Tristana' is one of Luis Bunuel's more traditional films, which I prefer to his more surreal efforts, although the ending boldly plays the film back in reverse (with backward sound) and leaves the viewer to make their own moral judgement.

50787778108_1456176ddc_o.jpg

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)
Director: Luis Bunuel
Length: 102 minutes
Type: Comedy, Surrealist

After more conventional but no less successful films like 'Belle de jour' and 'Tristana', 'The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie' finds Luis Bunuel returning to the surrealism of his early works but with a new found discipline, story telling clarity and intent.  Three middle-class couples continually attempt to have a meal together and carry on a couple of affairs but due to increasingly absurd reasons, they are unable to either consume, or consummate.  The meek way the group greets these problems, even when they're being attacked by terrorists is very funny.  Bunuel also sprinkles in some dreams and dreams within dreams to keep the viewer on their toes.

50797058102_32083cb50f_o.jpg

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Director: Mel Stuart
Length: 100 minutes
Type: Musical, Comedy, Fantasy

You can love 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' as a kid, for the colours, the songs and the madcap fun, then as an adult you can also appreciate all the deadpan humour and satirical edge.  The cutaways to crazy media clips are like 'Robocop', before 'Robocop'.  I reckon '(I've Got A) Golden Ticket' and 'Pure Imagination' are two of the best and most transportive musical numbers put on film.  It's a delight to watch Gene Wilder's "zero f**ks" reactions to the parents getting their comeuppance for raising their greedy children badly.  It's a zen level of sarcasm. The mixture of British, American and European actors, filmed in Germany gives the film an accessible "anywhere and nowhere" feel.  The bit where Charlie puts the Everlasting Gobstopper on Wonka's desk and apologises makes me blub most times.  The one thing that always stopped this movie being perfect was that potentially lip-smacking chocolate river looking like ditch water at best, and some dangerous effluent chemical at worst.

50797058137_e961a91254_o.jpg

Get Carter (1971)
Director: Mike Hodges
Length: 112 minutes
Type: Gangster, Drama

An iconic British Gangster movie. Although the plotting is dense, the premise is simple. Michael Caine plays our eponymous anti-hero Jack Carter, a London mobster who travels back to his roots in North-East England to investigate the suspicious death of his brother, kicking down doors in the Newcastle underworld until he gets answers. The real violence doesn't start until way into the picture but Caine radiates the threat of it with every muscle, like he could explode at any second. When the mystery unravels and the killing begins, his acts of vengeance are so cold and brutal that it still shocks nearly 50 years later. The last act is increasingly bleak and nihilistic and the monochrome end credits feature just the howl of the wind in the void. Roy Budd's Jazz score is super stylish and you'll probably have heard it before.

By the way, I couldn't believe the scene that is shot around the Blackhall Colliery and it's massive concrete conveyor system for continuously dumping giant bins of coal waste by-products directly into the ocean. We don't do enough to protect the planet now but in 1971 we really did have an attitude of "f*ck the environment".

The voiceover in this trailer is amazing!:

50796940971_df9962dc12_o.jpg

Performance (1970)
Director: Nicolas Roeg & Donald Cammell
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Gangster, Drama

The legend has it that Donald Cammell and Nicolas Roeg's 'Performance' caused a Warner exec's wife to vomit in shock at a test screening, resulting in it being shelved for 2 years. For the late 60s, the constant male and female nudity, unflinching violence, homoeroticism and drug taking, including a naked Anita Pallenberg shooting heroin into her right buttock (allegedly for real) must have pushed all the boundaries. James Fox is totally menacing as Chas a young London gangster hiding out from the police and his displeased boss (a thinly veiled Ronnie Kray clone) in fallen rockstar Turner's (Mick Jagger) Notting Hill house. Fox's need to pose for a new passport photo looking unrecognizable is a doorway for him explore his sexuality and personality in this new bohemian atmosphere. The editing and Cinematography is chaotically experimental in a good way.

50804583231_64bd80d8e9_o.jpg

Enter the Dragon (1973)
Director: Robert Clouse
Length: 99 minutes
Type: Kung Fu, Action, Spy-Movie

The poor transfer on the old 'Enter the Dragon' blu-ray (one of the earliest of the format) and it only being available in an altered version has put me off re-watching this more often.  Thankfully Criterion have finally been the first to put out the original theatrical cut in HD and it looks marvellous, grainy, richly coloured and detailed.  Good God is Bruce Lee fast, sure sometimes they've subtly under-cranked it and/or snipped out a few frames but more often than not it's the opposite and they're having to slow things down to make his moves register.  Lee has a crazy physique, he's got muscles where I didn't know the human body had muscles.  Thankfully for the two supporting American characters they made the decision to cast actors who had done some martial arts already.  John Saxon's skills are good enough but Jim Kelly holds his own next to Bruce, the speed and force with which it looks like he's taking down Han's henchman is great.  Flashback sequences for the trio of heroes have you rooting for them before they put one foot on Han's island.  Everything the say and do in the first act is designed to make you love them, not a moment is wasted, it's a well constructed script.

In the scene with Han's henchman, Kelly says "Man, you come right out of a comic book" to Han but "you come right out of a Bond movie" would be more accurate.  I hadn't noticed before how much EtD is riffing on spy-movies and the proven Bond formula in particular.  Han basically is Dr. No.  He dresses like Dr. No, he's got his hands missing, replaced by black metal ones and he's doing that 'being courteous to your enemies' villain thing.  He's also got an island fortress/underground lair, a private uniformed army and is pictured stroking a white Persian cat just like Blofeld, he's only missing an underground monorail!  Lee is recruited by the British government in Hong Kong to spy on crime lord Han.  The standard mission briefing scene makes a point of showing that Braithwaite, Lee's handler, is the kind of hard drinking old gentlemen that populates the world of Bond.  He repeatedly offers Lee a drink, which Lee conspicuously declines, also refusing gadgets and guns (so there's no need for a Q character) and later shows none of Bond's lust for women.  He's kinda the opposite of Bond, he's controlled, lacks ego and doesn't go looking for confrontation.  So much so that he would be in danger of being boring but for Bruce Lee's electric charisma, plus his two bad boy co-stars have enough vices, flaws and attitude to spare, keeping things entertaining and amusing.

EtD also smoothly integrates elements of the Blaxploitation genre into the Kung Fu mix, something that the Bond franchise had also done more overtly earlier that same summer in 'Live and Let Die'.  The Bond producers were no doubt aware that EtD had stolen a march on them (raking in comparable boxoffice to L&LD) by inserting their own Spy formula into the Kung Fu genre.  They made an attempt to catch up the year after with 'The Man with the Golden Gun', featuring a Kung Fu sidekick for Roger Moore but it's a bit cheesy, where as EtD is stone cold cool.  A sequel to EtD was planned before Lee's untimely death which would have teamed him up with former Bond actor George Lazonby and Sonny Chiba.  It was retooled without Lee or Chiba as 1974's 'Stoner' aka 'The Shrine of Ultimate Bliss'. The final confrontation in a hall of mirrors idea had been done in Orson Welles' 1947 film 'The Lady from Shanghai'.  The aforementioned 'The Man with the Golden Gun' did it too, with less success.  To complete the spy-genre feel they hired Lalo Schifrin to do the score, who had done the theme to 'Mission: Impossible' and scored episodes of 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E'.  He was also hot off 'Bullitt' and 'Dirty Harry', two more films that defined late 60s/early 70s cool.  EtD is one of the all time great soundtracks to listen to with, or without the film.  'Enter the Dragon' is the perfect east-meets-west co-production (Golden Harvest and Warner Bros.), nailing absolutely every element of the multiple movie genres it's combining.  It's so iconic, actors and filmmakers just have to do little gestures and we instantly know it's a homage to Bruce Lee's performance, from 'The Matrix', to 'The Phantom Menace'.

50804583216_af244662cf_o.jpg

Serpico (1973)
Director: Sidney Lumet
Length: 130 minutes

Top-class biopic of NYPD whistle-blower Frank Serpico from Director Sidney Lumet. Coming off his star making turn in 'The Godfather', Al Pacino is at his prime (back when it wasn't all shouting). Filmed on location in the "mean streets" of New York, Lumet makes the city look like a crumbling, rat-infested toilet, as physically corrupt as the force that patrols it.  Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis (discovered by Michael Powell) delivers a prominent and emotional score to rival the best of Ennio Morricone 'Serpico' suggests that being the one sane person in a world of madmen can make you lose your mind.

^I wonder if you've seen Way of the Dragon (released posthumously in the US as "Return of the Dragon"), Bruce Lee's film previous to Enter the Dragon. I actually prefer it, as I find quite a lot of the stuff with Jim Brown and Jon Saxon (no doubt forced into the story due to concerns about having an Asian man as the sole lead) to just water down the story. It's the most dated of the material, and simply put, Bruce could be on the screen doing nothing and it's electric. The other actors have to work for your attention.

I know this isn't your general review page, but if anyone is curious about Bruce's real best film: :)
Way-of-the-dragon-poster.jpg

Way of the Dragon is a simpler story, but takes the time to focus instead on Lee's philosophy, which he was more and more keen on demonstrating through his films. It was also Lee's stab at dealing with some of the tropes of the genre. In interviews, he often said any real martial artist would run away from a guy with a gun, but you never saw this in action movies. He wanted to find a way to have the hero have to deal with guys with guns, but still let the martial arts go on. He works this into the philosophy of the main character, who wants to convert enemies and patch things up, not escalate. You can do that after a fistfight, but not after a gunfight. This is also his first effort at putting distinct styles into the film, where you see a Japanese martial artist, a Korean, and an American, all well-respected representatives of their arts. (And of course Bruce, from Hong Kong.) The setting of Rome will beat any Hollywood stage for me, Bond Lair or not, and Bruce insisted on shooting on location, in Cinemascope. He wrote, directed, choreographed, and basically pulled out all the stops. It includes more of him than Enter the Dragon, the initial theatrical cut of which cut out even more of the philosophical portions (including my favorite, "finger pointing its way to the Moon" scene). 

Most people will know the final fight between Lee and the famous American (who took lessons from him, as did many other Hollywood actors at the time), but not realize the philosophical ramifications of what Lee's character "Tang Lung" is dealing with during the fight. Despite all his efforts, the situation in Rome has escalated further and further. Tang Lung Bhuddist monk type philosophy is put to the test. The film shies away from the tonality of most action movies, often having Tang Lung take the piss out of the situation. When things are serious, it's for dramatic effect. There is no gratuitous sex and the violence is not salacious...it's real. Tang Lung wants to avoid these things, but some situations don't allow for some choices...

^ I've only seen 'Enter the Dragon' (and 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story').  I knew there were so many cobbled together posthumous Bruce Lee films and scraps from the table of his early career, that I never got round to finding out which were the truly great ones.  From your review, it sounds like 'Way of the Dragon' is definitely the place to start. Thanks.

Youtube recommended this screen test last night.  Lovely stuff:

50807973666_c54184f05e_o.jpg

The Lion King (1994)
Director: Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff
Length: 88 minutes
Type: Animated, Musical, Drama

It's a year since I saw the pointless "live action" remake and a long while since I saw the original animated classic.  I'd forgotten how fast paced it was, it's not even a full 90-minutes.  After the shear perfection of 1991's 'Beauty and the Beast' and 1992's glorious 'Aladdin', the next film in the "Disney Renaissance" felt like a slight step down in quality, very slight, so I could never understand why it was so much more successful (double the boxoffice, nearly a billion dollars).  The anthropomorphic animation is spot on, somehow moving 100% like wild animals and emoting 100% like humans... adding up to 200% Disney genius.  The background paintings of the African landscapes are breathtaking.  As as child I naturally hadn't appreciated the 'Triumph of the Will' allusions in the scene where Scar is speaking to the hyenas.  Jeremy Irons as Scar seems to be channelling an evil version of Kenneth Williams.  The whole voice cast couldn't be better.  Comedy genius Rowan Atkinson has often been misused in Hollywood roles but his performances as Zazu, Mufasa's wonderfully pompous majordomo is made for him.  There have been a lot of hero and two little/large sidekick trios in animated films but Timon and Pumbaa are the gold standard.  This was Hans Zimmer's first and surprisingly only, Academy Award.

50807973631_6d99040887_o.jpg

Short Cuts (1993)
Director: Robert Altman
Length: 188 minutes

Another L.A. black comedy from Director Robert Altman featuring his trademark myriad interconnected characters across a weekend. The people played by an all-star cast are often unpleasant but there's always a spark of their humanity. Some of the ar**holes turn out to be good people at heart and some of the respectable people are revealed to be rotten. Their stories are united by themes of infidelity, death and dysfunctional relationships between parents and offspring. I was totally gripped for the whole 3-hours by the quality of the writing and performances. The amount of full-frontal female nudity, violence towards women, indifference and levity at the abuse of women and general anger directed at women across the film becomes cumulatively questionable.

50807973616_48cbe41502_o.jpg

Thelma & Louise (1991)
Director: Ridley Scott
Length: 129 minutes
Type: Comedy, Drama

I've seen about two thirds of Ridley Scott's films but this one has been a glaring omission for a while. Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon are so damn good as the titular best friends on a danger filled road trip of self discovery. Callie Khouri's script is a massive crowd pleasing middle finger to male chauvinism.

TM2YC said:
^ I've only seen 'Enter the Dragon' (and 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story').  I knew there were so many cobbled together posthumous Bruce Lee films and scraps from the table of his early career, that I never got round to finding out which were the truly great ones.  From your review, it sounds like 'Way of the Dragon' is definitely the place to start. Thanks.

Youtube recommended this screen test last night.  Lovely stuff:

Cheers. Classic interview. He's got several other good ones as well. Honestly, it's not hard to do a BL retrospective (from his adult life), and I'd recommend doing them (almost) in order. Details if you're curious:
-I'd start with Fist of Fury (released in America as The Chinese Connection). His second film, it was a pretty straight wuxia classic, with rival schools and a student trying to please his master. It delves into the Japanese occupation of China and kind of perfects the formula that has been getting used for half of Chinese action movies since. (The Jet Li remake is arguably better, but you've gotta watch the original first.)
-Then go back to Bruce's breakout film, The Big Boss (confusingly released in America 2nd as Fists of Fury). It's not as tight as his 2nd film, but it's more innovative. Bruce plays a totally different kind of action hero than was common at the time. He tries to avoid fights, doesn't stick to some chivalric code, and can be petty and vengeful. The story has genuine shocks and twists though, and Bruce had not yet learned how slow he needed to move for the camera, so some movements are invisible unless played in slow-mo frame by frame (like in the legendary ice house scene.)
-This leads up to Way of the Dragon, the first film he had total control over. Individual scenes in Enter the Dragon and Game of Death are sometimes better, but I'd watch those after.
-Don't waste your time with Game of Death. Instead, watch the best documentary I've yet seen on Lee (with one of the worst titles): Bruce Lee - A Warrior's Journey. About half of it is a reconstruction of Bruce's original vision for Game of Death, using the footage he actually completed, plus outtakes and B-roll and various interview, storyboards, etc. It really would've been a phenomenal film, probably his best ever. 

^ I shall put them on the list. Thanks. I'm curious to see the Kung Fu/Blaxploitation movies Jim Kelly made after 'Enter the Dragon' too, they look fun.

50811503782_b62a74ed59_o.jpg

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
Director: Robert Zemeckis
Length: 104 minutes
Type: Comedy, Fantasy, Noir

I loved 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' when I first saw it (when I was 7 or 8), I might even have seen it at the Cinema but I'm not sure.  It's funny, wacky and it's got cartoon characters in it, what's not to like?  But as a kid you only get half of it.  Not only is it packed with visual gags and puns based on the history of animation and 1940s Hollywood but it's also a great homage/satire of the Film Noir genre.  Plus it's a genuinely well constructed detective mystery, to rival other straight Noir stories such as 'Chinatown' (In this case "Toontown").  If it wasn't for the use of some notable British character actors (plus of course Bob Hoskins) I don't think you'd guess this was shot in the UK and not Los Angeles.  It's a technical marvel for the late 80s, if this was made now with the aid of CGI and motion capture it would be a breeze.  Only producer Steven Spielberg had the standing to convince this many studios to allow their IPs in one movie, a feat he repeated for 'Ready Player One'.  The joke that made me laugh the most this time was "Nice booby trap!".  If I had to nitpick, the combination of the constant jabbering from the toon characters, the kooky soundFX and Alan Silvestri's busy score can get a bit cacophonous at times.

50811503832_59b488ccba_o.jpg

Rain Man (1988)
Director: Barry Levinson
Length: 134 minutes

Tom Cruise could not be better as Charlie, a selfish, bitter and emotionally closed off young man, who discovers his estranged unloving father has died and in a final act of spite has left his entire fortune to his other autistic savant son Raymond (Dustin Hoffman). Charlie didn't know Raymond existed and in another act of selfishness abducts him from a care home to try and get a share of the will.  It's admirable how far the film is prepared to push Cruise's character into total a**hole territory before taking him and us on a journey of emotional discovery. I can't comment on the accuracy of Hoffman's portrayal of a man with Raymond's particular condition but that's not really the point, the film is more about Charlie learning to truly value Raymond as a person. I can see why this won Best Picture in '88. Another one of those great early Hans Zimmer scores helps.

^For what it's worth, I have a cousin who is autistic and Hoffman's portrayal was very, very much like her (only she's not blessed with any savantism.) I was so stunned by his performance the first few times I saw the film, it took me a long time to realize that Cruise was giving a great performance right beside him.

50818902811_db512153c1_o.jpg

Carrie (1976)
Director: Brian De Palma
Length: 98 minutes
Type: Horror

I've seen 'Carrie' before but not since I was the age the teenager characters are supposed to be, now I'm watching it again when I'm closer to the age the actors playing them look!  Brian De Palma's love of lurid colours (especially red) jump off the screen and his flamboyant, violent, visual style is unmistakeable.  Piper Laurie is astonishing and terrifying as Carrie's emotionally abusive psycho-Christian mother.  She got an Oscar nomination and it's amazing that she hadn't acted in a film since 1961's 'The Hustler', which she was also Oscar nominated for.  It's difficult to see 'Robocop's Nancy Allen and John Travolta (in some of their first roles) as the supporting villains, instead of the starring heroes.  Definitely a contender for the best Stephen King adaptation, although it has some stiff competition.

50818902796_f3ba513f4c_o.jpg

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)
Director: Nicolas Roeg
Length: 138 minutes
Type: Sci-Fi, Drama

I've watched parts of this film before but never made it all the way through before. Nicolas Roeg's 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' is a Sci-Fi vision that's too quirky, visually interesting and intriguing to dislike but I didn't really enjoy it either. Roeg has no time for frivolities like exposition, logic and story development. Each new scene could take place in a different place, in the next hour, day, year, or decade but you are left to work that out for yourself as the scene progresses. David Bowie is of course a perfect casting choice for a strange alien. Every time he is on screen it's fascinating but instead 50% of the film seemed to be composed of people rolling naked on beds, drinking Gin. I'm sure when the film was made Bowie's 'Thomas Jerome Newton' character was modelled after Howard Hughes but watching it now, it seems to predict the modern tech/media entrepreneurs.

The 40th Anniversary 4K-scanned blu-ray looks spectacular, apart from the last shot that plays under the credits, which drops down to DVD upscale quality for some reason.

The film is a great accompaniment to David Bowie's classic album 'Low'.  IIRC some of the tracks had been provionally demoed for future use in the film.  The beautiful cover photo is from the film:

50819001222_d0f3f8c751_o.jpg

Stroszek (1977)
Director: Werner Herzog
Length: 116 minutes

'Stroszek' is a lot lighter, more free-spirited and grittier in a Documentary style than other Werner Herzog films I've seen. Unusual real-life musician/actor/artist 'Bruno S.' basically plays himself as 'Bruno Stroszek', a mentally damaged street performer existing between the cracks of West Berlin. He befriends an abused prostitute called Eva and an eccentric old man and they all decide to escape from Eva's violent pimps by chasing the American dream in glamorous rural Wisconsin. Initially they are in paradise, finding conventional jobs and a trailer of their own but they soon begin to revert to their former chaotic bohemian ways. Bruno is such an unusual and magnetic screen presence, limping like Ian Dury, twitching randomly, mumbling and glancing into the camera and past it, like he's reading his lines off a board. Herzog sprinkles in beautiful little moments he captured like a Doctor cradling a premature baby and has a tangible compassion for these marginalised souls. I hadn't realised how iconic the "dancing chicken ending" was until I got there and instantly recognised the music and footage. Apparently Joy Division front-man Ian Curtis committed suicide while watching 'Stroszek' but I had no such feelings, I really liked it.

Back
Top Bottom