• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Last DVD, Blu-Ray, UHD or Digital you purchased?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh sweet, DVD 2-disc as well. I was worried the TV cut was BD only. Niiiiice.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a very in-depth review if you're interested.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-II-Blu-ray/46632/#Review

And here's one for Halloween III: Season Of The Witch, also released by Shout! through their new Scream! line.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-III-Season-of-the-Witch-Blu-ray/24433/#Review

You should check out their Facebook page too. Take a look at the Photos section for a glimpse at upcoming releases. FYI, they're going to be releasing They Live and Phantasm 2.:whoo:

Neglify said:
Oh sweet, DVD 2-disc as well. I was worried the TV cut was BD only. Niiiiice.

The Blu-Ray is only the first disc. The second disc is a DVD with the tv cut on it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
The Blu-Ray is only the first disc. The second disc is a DVD with the tv cut on it.

Yeah I got that when you said this. I just hadn't done my homework yet and thought it was a Blu-Ray only new release. Having checked Amazon I saw that yes, of course they released a 2-disc DVD as well. So I can buy that sucker and enjoy the commentaries on the movie instead of if it were a BD only release I'd basically be buying that BD for Disc 2 and that's lame.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Yeah I got that when you said this. I just hadn't done my homework yet and thought it was a Blu-Ray only new release. Having checked Amazon I saw that yes, of course they released a 2-disc DVD as well. So I can buy that sucker and enjoy the commentaries on the movie instead of if it were a BD only release I'd basically be buying that BD for Disc 2 and that's lame.

Ah! Didn't realize you were only interested in the tv cut. Do you already have the Universal Blu-Ray and that's why you're not interested in buying a second Blu-Ray release of the film?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You mean it comes out on dvd with the bonus disc with the TV cut included? Same as the blu ray only first disc is dvd?

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
You mean it comes out on dvd with the bonus disc with the TV cut included? Same as the blu ray only first disc is dvd?

That is correct. The first disc is the main film with all the extras and the second disc is just the tv cut and the screenplay in .pdf format. The second disc is a DVD no matter if you get the Blu-Ray or DVD set.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Ah! Didn't realize you were only interested in the tv cut. Do you already have the Universal Blu-Ray and that's why you're not interested in buying a second Blu-Ray release of the film?

I'm not interested in buying any Blu-rays if I don't have to. I don't do HD. Only BDs I've bought have been requirements for watching fanedits (basically Star Wars, MCU, KOTCS [FU njvc], Matrix, LOTR and a couple others).

So yeah, when/if I do go HD I got myself a sweet little starter package. Until then they just sit on a shelf in my closet.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I'm not interested in buying any Blu-rays if I don't have to. I don't do HD. Only BDs I've bought have been requirements for watching fanedits (basically Star Wars, MCU, KOTCS [FU njvc], Matrix, LOTR and a couple others).

Ah, okay. I thought you had made the HD jump already. So you've bought the Star Wars movies on Blu-Ray just so you could watch HD edits of them? Now that is dedication, or a really good set of SW edits. I can't imagine buying a Blu-Ray box set just so I could watch HD edits. I'd rather just pass on the edits than spend all that money on a set I'm only buying so I can watch edits of the films included.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Ah, okay. I thought you had made the HD jump already. So you've bought the Star Wars movies on Blu-Ray just so you could watch HD edits of them? Now that is dedication, or a really good set of SW edits. I can't imagine buying a Blu-Ray box set just so I could watch HD edits. I'd rather just pass on the edits than spend all that money on a set I'm only buying so I can watch edits of the films included.

The way I see it, I'll definitely need them shits for Adywan's edits. Damn I can't wait for ESB:R.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just went Halloween crazy and bought all the following on Blu-Ray

Halloween (Anchor Bay release)
Halloween II (Scream Release)
Halloween III (Scream Release)
Halloween 4 (New Anchor Bay Release)
Halloween 5 (New Anchor Bay Release)

I guess I'm set.... I was waiting patiently for a (Special) Special Edition of the original Halloween but couldn't wait any longer...

Michael+plus+Laurie.jpg

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whispers said:
I just went Halloween crazy and bought all the following on Blu-Ray

Halloween (Anchor Bay release)
Halloween II (Scream Release)
Halloween III (Scream Release)
Halloween 4 (New Anchor Bay Release)
Halloween 5 (New Anchor Bay Release)

I guess I'm set.... I was waiting patiently for a (Special) Special Edition of the original Halloween but couldn't wait any longer...

I've got the Halloween 30th Anniversary Commemorative Set which includes the Blu-Ray of the first film. I wanted to pick up the Blu-Ray's of 4 and 5 but they have the exact same extras as their DVD counterparts which are included in the 30th Anniversary box set so I passed on them. The fourth one was originally supposed to include 20 minutes worth of deleted scenes but I don't know what happened to that. I'm a little low on cash right now otherwise I would have grabbed the Halloween III Blu-Ray last night as well.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I've got the Halloween 30th Anniversary Commemorative Set which includes the Blu-Ray of the first film. I wanted to pick up the Blu-Ray's of 4 and 5 but they have the exact same extras as their DVD counterparts which are included in the 30th Anniversary box set so I passed on them. The fourth one was originally supposed to include 20 minutes worth of deleted scenes but I don't know what happened to that. I'm a little low on cash right now otherwise I would have grabbed the Halloween III Blu-Ray last night as well.

I read that the deleted scenes were just scrapped as being incuded at the last minute... Amazon even had it listed as including the deleted scenes up until the release date...

I would even pick up Halloween 6 if there was a special edition Blu-ray treatment done to it... With all the footage from the workprint version out there maybe they can clean it up and release it all as deleted scenes...

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whispers said:
I would even pick up Halloween 6 if there was a special edition Blu-ray treatment done to it... With all the footage from the workprint version out there maybe they can clean it up and release it all as deleted scenes...

I've read that there's plans to release a 2-disc edition of Halloween 6. The first disc will be the theatrical cut and the second disc will be the Producer's Cut. At this point though I think it's all just wishful thinking. There's 5 official cuts of that film so if they wanted to they could release a nice little box set. I'd certainly be up for that.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
I've read that there's plans to release a 2-disc edition of Halloween 6. The first disc will be the theatrical cut and the second disc will be the Producer's Cut. At this point though I think it's all just wishful thinking. There's 5 official cuts of that film so if they wanted to they could release a nice little box set. I'd certainly be up for that.

I don't think we'll ever see the producers cut released... I think that ship has sailed... I would buy it in a heartbeat but how many years has that version been traded (and sometimes sold) tweaked... cleaned up... new editions...
It was even profiled on Entertainment Tonight.... and yet nobody see's the $$$ in releasing it on DVD... I'd be surprised if it ever saw the light of day...

I would think it is more likely to be cleaned up and released as deleted scenes... then atleast someone could edit together a real clean producers cut for us to enjoy...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All this HALLOWEEN talk has peeked my interest.

The only Halloween DVD I have is the Anchor Bay version from 2001 -- Halloween The Extended Editon

So if I were to go out and buy the Michael Myers saga, and with apparently so many different versions to choose from,
which would you recommend and why???

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
All this HALLOWEEN talk has peeked my interest.

The only Halloween DVD I have is the Anchor Bay version from 2001 -- Halloween The Extended Editon

So if I were to go out and buy the Michael Myers saga, and with apparently so many different versions to choose from,
which would you recommend and why???

So you've got an actual copy of the Extended Edition? I don't know if it's worth much now, seeing as it's available in the 30th Anniversary Commerative Set (limited to 20,000 copies), but it was out of print for the longest time.

If you want to stick to the Michael Myers films then I'd say stay away from Halloween III as it has nothing to do with him. It is a personal favorite of mine though, and is actually a very good movie. I'd recommend the 25th Anniversary DVD, if you can find it, of the first film. Halloween II has only been released once and it's a bare bones release. Halloween 4 and 5 are both available from Anchor Bay's DiviMax line with some decent extras. Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, aka Halloween 6, only has a bare bones release. Halloween H20 only has one release as well, and aside from a couple of extras it's pretty bare bones. Halloween Resurrection is definitely the worst film in the franchise, but the DVD has a very nice selection of extras.

If you want to go the Blu-Ray route though I'd recommend the Anchor Bay Blu-Ray of the first film, it's the only one available and can be had for 10$ at HMV. Halloween II has been released by Universal and Shout!. The Universal disc contains the alternate scenes shot for the tv cut of Halloween II, an alternate ending, and a "documentary" called "Terror In The Aisles", which up until this Universal disc had only been available on VHS.

The Shout! release, which came out this Tuesday, contains a better transfer, two audio commentary tracks, a 45-minute long documentary on the making of the film, an "episode" of Horror's Hallowed Grounds, a photo gallery, the alternate scenes shot for the tv version, the alternate ending, the film's trailer, tv spots, and radio spots. The second disc is a DVD and contains the film's alternate tv version along with the film's screenplay in .pdf format on the DVD-Rom side.

Halloween III was also released by Shout! this Tuesday and contains a nice set of extras as well. But if you're sticking to the Michael Myers films you might want to pass on this one, although I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Halloween 4 and 5 were released on Blu-Ray last month by Anchor Bay. The extras however are the exact same ones that were included on the DVD releases so there's no real reason to upgrade other than having the films in 1080p.

Stay away from the Blu-Ray releases of Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, Halloween H20, and Halloween Resurrection. Both the Canadian release featuring all three films on one disc and the US releases from Echo Bridge Entertainment are pure crap. Stick to the DVD's for those.

If I were recommending the films though I'd say go for Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, and Halloween H20. Halloween 4 and 5 aren't bad, just not my favorites.

And if you need any more convincing regarding the first two films let me just say this: I've already watched Halloween and Halloween II four times this year. And the last two times were today and yesterday.

P.S. Give Halloween III a shot even though it has nothing to do with Michael Myers or the rest of the franchise. It's a pretty decent film in its own right.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks FC! I will have to do some dvd browsing.

So you've got an actual copy of the Extended Edition? I don't know if it's worth much now, seeing as it's available in the 30th Anniversary Commerative Set (limited to 20,000 copies), but it was out of print for the longest time.

Yeah, I found it in a 5 dollar bargain bin at Giant Tiger of all places about 5 or 6 years ago. Had no idea it was limited edition?!?
And since I since watched Halloween on tv as a kid, I have a real fondness for the television footage, as it added a layer of complexity to the story.

I agree, the original Halloween is one of my all time favorites. I watch it every year. I just marvel at how Carpenter sets up and moves the camera... it is incredible film making.

I don't know if I have seen the tv cut of Halloween II... what is the difference? What is the alternate ending???

In H20, correct me if I am wrong, is there a scene where they discuss Halloween 3-6, dismiss it as an urban legend?

Now I don't actually remember seeing this scene in the movie (but it has been years) but I swear I saw a clip of it or maybe read an article about it when the movie was released? :?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Yeah, I found it in a 5 dollar bargain bin at Giant Tiger of all places about 5 or 6 years ago. Had no idea it was limited edition?!?

There are 2 versions of the Extended Edition DVD. The first one is a limited edition numbered 2 Disc DVD. Disc 1 is the theatrical cut, Disc 2 is the Extended Edition. The second DVD is 1 disc and just has the Extended Edition.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

I don't know if it was released as a limited edition, but I do remember it being out of print for years. As a standalone release it came out in August 2001 and I seem to remember it being out of print just a year or so later. It wasn't made available again until October 2008 when the 30th Anniversary Commemorative Set came out. And seeing as the set was limited to 20,000 copies, mine is #10,242, I think it's safe to assume that it's back to being out of print. You can still find copies of the box set in stores, although by now they've got to be pretty limited, but the extended cut hasn't been re-issued in a standalone release.

Just checked Amazon.ca and they've got 2 new copies going for 93$. Used they've got them going for 20$ up to 47$.

bionicbob said:
I agree, the original Halloween is one of my all time favorites. I watch it every year. I just marvel at how Carpenter sets up and moves the camera... it is incredible film making.

I can't watch Halloween 1 without watching Halloween II, or vice versa. Even though they were released 3 years apart, and Halloween II is directed by Rick Rosenthal instead of John Carpenter, they're basically just one film split in two. Halloween II starts off exactly where Halloween 1 ended so if I were to watch Halloween II on its own it'd be like starting a movie from the midway point.

bionicbob said:
I don't know if I have seen the tv cut of Halloween II... what is the difference? What is the alternate ending???

I hadn't seen it either until the other day. Aside from the obvious censor cuts there's plenty of extra little shots and dialogue, and 8 minutes worth of new scenes. The new scenes are included on both the Universal Blu-Ray and the Shout! Blu-Ray, as is the alternate ending, as extras.

Regarding the alternate ending: In the theatrical cut Jimmy passes out at the wheel of a car trying to start it. His fate is left up to the viewer to decide. In the tv cut though when Laurie is in the back of the ambulance you see that somebody else is in there with her. The person under the sheet gets up, the same way Michael Myers is known to get up, but when the sheet drops it's revealed that it's actually Jimmy.

bionicbob said:
In H20, correct me if I am wrong, is there a scene where they discuss Halloween 3-6, dismiss it as an urban legend?

Now I don't actually remember seeing this scene in the movie (but it has been years) but I swear I saw a clip of it or maybe read an article about it when the movie was released? :?

Not to the best of my recollection, although I haven't seen H20 nearly as many times as I've seen the first 3 films. And Halloween III has nothing at all to do with Michael Myers. The movie is about Halloween masks, the holiday not the Michael Myers mask, being programmed to kill kids en mass when they wear the masks and watch a tv commercial. So if such a scene exists it wouldn't mention Halloween III. Halloween 4 and 5 are about Jamie Lloyd, played by a young Danielle Harris, who is actually Laurie Strode's daughter. Halloween 6 continues the Jamie Lloyd storyline but without Danielle Harris. Jamie Lee Curtis was only in the first two films, H20, and the beginning of Resurrection. It's possible that something was mentioned by one of the nurses at the beginning of Resurrection but I can't say with certainty without watching it again.

Top Bottom