• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Hook: the way you (want to) remember it

I made a trailer! I find making trailers hard (talk about cutting/killing your darlings), but Hook's 30th anniversary deserves one. 😁

Last edited:
A big HAPPY THOUGHT shout-out to @Dwight Fry for suggesting I add a title card! ☺️
It fills out the opening titles where the music needed extra time but I didn't have anything to fill the screen. Until now!

Hook%20opening%20added%20title%20A.jpg

We watched Hook during dinner. At one point the kids needed reminding to eat up, before it got cold. The reply was that they were forgetting to eat because the movie was too exciting! :giggle:

That's the best compliment I can imagine for the improved pacing of this edit. 😍

We just finished watching it. Thanks for making our memory of this the way we want to remember it!

I love everyone's thorough reviews! It's very rewarding to see that I'm not alone in being passionate for Hook. 🥰🥰
Keep 'm coming!

Argh! Now I've got "When you're alone" stuck in my head. Well, serves me right. 🙃

I was finally able to watch this edit this evening. Hook is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's admitiedly a ridiculous movie that benefits from nostalgia and childhood imprinting, but I still love it. :) Here's my review.
Audio/Video Quality:
The video looks great and completely and what you would expect from the file size. I know you said you used the AC3 from the 4k and mentione that it was the soundstage audio. I've never heard this mix and it's pretty different than the DTS that I'm used to I guess. It's not an audio issue, but I definitely prefer the other mix as it feels like it has a bit more life as well as softness to it.

Visual Editing:
The visual editing when Peter falls from the top of the rock when he arrives at the Lost Boys feels a bit choppy. I think the first cut is mostly due to the audio transition. But at 0:43:34 it jumps from hiim hanging in the air to laying on the ground. Rufio's entrance feels a tab bit rushed, but there aren't any continuity errors as a result of the cuts. The deleted scene was fun to see. It didn't quite match the coloring of the movie, but it did add a bit of Neverland nostalgia.
I like the faster pace of the final battle, but there was a bit of feeling like it was edited due to some audio edits that gave away some of the visual cuts.
The ending deleted scene of Peter somersaulting over the car was something I'd never seen before. LIke the other one, I think the color was slightly over saturated.

Audio Editing:
Most all of the visual cuts worked great and those that didn't often were a case of the audio betraying that somethign was changed. Here are some cuts where this occurred.
0:09:29 - there's a slight popping noise during the transition
0:23:10 - the music sync feels a bit off and I think there might be a repeated portion here?
0:42:33, 0:42:39, 0:43:27- the audio cuts are a bit abrupt here
The audio editing during Rufio's entrance feels a bit jumpy. I think some crossfading of the lost boys background noise could help.
0:44:51 - When Peter says he's not a pirate the music fade in feels a bit jarring in tone and intensity
0:44:56 - you can hear Tinkerbell saying "Hook has got his kids" left over from a crossfade of the blended audio tracks from the cuts made
0:46:14 - The audio cuts during this scene really took me out of it unfortunately :( This is my very favoriite scene in the entire movie so perhaps it hit me harder, but the two audio cuts during the beginning of the scene and when rufio says he's the Pan were a bit jarring. Is the music from the deleted scene added or is it in the scene?
0:52:13 - The audio cut here felt a bit jarring
0:53:33 - the music gives away this cut as it creates a break in the tempo of the music
0:55:12 - I really like this cut idea, but the music drop out gives it away. I think a bit more crossfadiing could help smooth it out
0:56:04 - unfortunately the music drop out gives this cut away. I think a bit more crossfadiing could help smooth it out
0:56:17 - the grace scene cuts sound pretty jarring due to the music clashing. The visual and narrative cuts work ok, but the audio feels abrupt and sounds lilke it neesd some crossfading or some track rebuilding to pull some of the audio cuts off.
0:56:53 - same here with the cuts from Thudbutt to the twins
0:58:52 - not majorily noticeable, but there is a slight abrupt jump when the Rufio is cut here
1:02:26 - musci transition feels sudden especially with clashing tempos of the music. I wonder if you could extend the surround channels and retain the center to smooth out the transition?
Baseball
1:08:34 - the removal of Peter saying wait for the good pitches is felt by the jump in the song
The run home jack audio cuts worked really well :)
1:08:54 - felt a bit rushed by the intensity change, a cross fade here could probably smooth this out
1:14:41 - the audio cut here feels slightly off beat with the music
1:18:22 - abrupt feeling due to the music change. A crossfade might be able to smooth this out.
1:18:42 & 1:18:45 - music cuts are a bit jumpy
1:19:42 - I like this cut, but the audio feels slightyl off. I think a cross fade could fix that. Same with the scene transition at 1:19:50
The I have a plan scene feels out of place with the narrative flow of this. The audio also feels a abrupt in trying to brdie the scenes.
1:22:50 - the straight audio cut here at the sime time as the visual cut gives this cut away
1:25:3 - music clashing gives this cut away unfortunately
1:28:15 - music transition clashes here for me
1:35:10 - the music tempo is a bit off here from the cut

Narrative:
The only real issue I had with the narrative of this is the omission of the baseball game. I get the intention to remove it, but removing it left it feeling like something was missing. I think there is possibly a way to abbreviate the scene to get through it a bit faster. It doesn't disrupt the narrative flow as there is not mention by Jack or Hook that Peter missed Jack's baseball. This is an excellent example of show don't tell during the scene in the museum by Lapis Molari to make this edit choice work.
The removal of the abduction scene worked fantastically. I really liked the mystery it creates and the increased sinister disturbance not knowing it was magical looking when they were abucted. Great work here! I wasn't too sure about the removal, but it improved the scene :)
The removal of Big Tink, but the retaining of "I have a plan" felt jarring narratively. I think it would work to jump from Rufio acknowledging Peter is the Pan straight over to the lost boys prepping for war.
The removal of Tink and Smee in the real world was a GREAT idea and executed very well :)

Enjoyment:
Some scenes feel a bit rushed, but that's most likely because I've memorized this movie from watching it so much. When I read "the way you want to remember it" for me that means from the eyes of a child. I ate up all the ridiculousness. This being one of my favoirte movies, I know that I'm majorly biased against doign anythign to it, but I love to have my perceptions challenged. For the most part this edit accomplished things that I didn't think were going to work. I did miss Maggie's song as the music uses that cue throughout to bridge the gap between Neverland and home for the kids.

I still teared up at the end so ofcourse I enjoyed this :)

Fun note, Dustin Hoffman must have been a terrible fencer as they never show his face when he is actively dueling Peter.

HOOK IS BACK! COMING TO YOUR SCREEN DECEMBER 8, 2021.
Thirty years to the day after its cinematic release, Hook returns in this fanedit revisit.

View attachment 445

HOOK has enough flaws that it shouldn't work. But it does! The good parts pack enough emotional punch to carry the movie and it plucks my heart-strings every time.

This edit tackles the lack of focus:

- Is Peter a big-shot lawyer who lacks imagination, or an insecure accountant who is worried to offend other people's sensibilities? I know what the script says, but I honestly can't tell from Williams' performance.

- Is Hook a real and dangerous villain, a caricature of Disney's inept cartoon Hook, half of the "Hook & Smee" comedic duo, or a depressed old man? Is Hook a villain I should love to hate, or one I should pity? It feels a little of both, but a lot of neither.

- Spielberg is brilliant, but here he was distracted. Peter and Hook aren't the only uneven parts. He left in continuity errors (the kids' bedroom door has Hook's scratch, then doesn't, then does again), make-up mistakes (in two pick-up shots Thud Butt is clearly older), and odd time-management where some transitions take much longer than needed without pay-off, while others feel jumpy as if a cutaway shot was left out (the Mermaids under Hook's ship > Peter being hoisted up to the Lost Boys).

- At 2h21m the film feels too long. Going against the adage "show, don't tell", I posit that Hook shows too much. E.g. 2 1/2 minutes of Jack's baseball game and Peter in the office, while we needn't care about either, just about the fact that Peter misses the game.

Get ready to re-live your childhood memory! You'll believe a man can fly (No, not Superman. Peter Pan, of course!).
Front row seats are reserved for everyone who in the '90s saw the movie through Jack's eyes, and now, being dads ourselves, sees the movie through Peter's eyes. 😉
I hope you're still there, and reading this, I saw the original one, and yeah, it was good, but there might be some flaws, so your fanedit caught my attention, and I got excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
is lapis molari hard to get ahold of? id like to see this but havent heard back......

i mean....can someone tap him on the shoulder for me? ive sent 3 messages to him.

A reasonable time for a response is at least a week. I'd recommend....
Be Patient Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Last edited:
ok 9 days later....still waiting for him or someone to hook me up, please.

ok 9 days later....still waiting for him or someone to hook me up, please.
That's not the best way to go about getting an artist to share their art with you. They worked very hard on that edit. Please continue to be patient. They will respond when they have time.

I recently suffered a hard drive crash so no, I don't have it easily available. I may have it backed up to DVD-R somewhere, I'm currently going through my storage to try and recover some of my lost data. If it turns up, I'll let you know. (Also please private message me with any future edit enquiries, it's easier for me to keep track of requests there.)

P.S. Just a heads-up, it's Lapis' original edit, not the more recent edit from last year.

Back
Top Bottom