• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Karate Kid, Part III: Bonsai Edition, now available!

Ultimist

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, after a lot of work, I'm finally finished.

The Karate Kid, Part III: Bonsai Edition

What is it about? The Karate Kid, Part III has always been considered inferior to the first two films by most Karate Kid fans. The Bonsai Edition attempts to turn the film into something not only watchable, but more dramatic and entertaining, with new opening titles, removal of the "recap" scenes from the first two films, a vastly changed order of events, and a new ending.

Tagline: First it was teacher to student. Then it was father to son. Now, it's man to man.

Original film name: The Karate Kid, Part III
New film name : The Karate Kid, Part III: Bonsai Edition
Film studio name : Columbia Pictures
Edit crew name : Ultimist
Date Original Film Was Released : 1989
Date Edit Was Released: 2007
Original Runtime: 112 min
New Runtime: 85 min
Amount of time Cut/Added: 27 min cut

Cuts removed/added/extended:

I have carefully examined every scene, every line of dialogue, and every bit of action, and I concluded that the film could be much improved by removing some of the things that have always nagged me about this film:

All references to Daniel's mother have been removed, and her single "telephone call" scene has been edited out. It is unnecessary and sloppy exposition to tell us where his mother is and why she's not going to be in the movie. We simply don't care. The scene in question was rather cheesy anyway.

I have edited Ralph Macchio's performance liberally, because there were many instances where his acting was utterly terrible. Now, in the Bonsai Edition, he gives a reasonable performance.

Similarly, Thomas Ian Griffith's performance as Terry Silver had some very corny and "over the top" moments. I have cut such moments to a minimum to make him a much more serious and sinister character.

There were many bits of dialogue here and there that revealed the plot far too early, or described something we just saw or heard. Now Silver's motives are a bit more mysterious, and we aren't constantly being reminded of what we just saw.

Mike Barnes' performance has been tweaked a little, as well. Small bits of his expository dialogue have been removed, to give the viewer less talk and more action.

Pat Morita's performance as Miyagi is nearly flawless, as usual, so 99% of his dialogue remains untouched.

The romance between Daniel and Jessica has been reconfigured so that Jessica isn't getting back together with her old boyfriend after all. Now there's a chance she and Daniel might stick together after the credits roll.

The order of events has been drastically altered in the first hour of the film, with no continuity issues or plot holes. Certain scenes have been cut entirely, leaving better scenes to adequately explain what's what and who's who. The film opens with Daniel and Miyagi, rather than Kreese, to establish our heroes before the bad guys start mucking things up.

New music has been added to several scenes that I felt needed some dramatic uplifting.

The tournament was probably the most difficult scene to deal with. I decided to leave it largely intact, with a few minor cuts and changes, and a newly added bit of dialogue to motivate Daniel into "the zone." All dialogue references to "win a point, lose a point" have been removed from the final fight, to perhaps make Barnes appear a bit foolish for losing points just to punish Daniel a bit more.

Note: The video is in its original quality. The retail film was on a single-layer DVD5. I am not sure why the studio opted to sacrifice the picture quality of this film. The excessive graininess you will see from time to time is on the original DVD.

English only audio track. No subtitles. I apologize for any inconvenience.

There are many other minor cuts & edits not mentioned here. I didn't maintain a comprehensive list of changes as I was editing. I feel that the final product is much better than the original film. I hope you enjoy it.

-Ultimist

Video Attributes

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen NTSC
Source picture resolution: 720x480 (525/60)
Frame Rate: 29.97 frames/sec

Audio Attributes

Audio Encoding: 2ch Dolby Digital AC3
Sampling Rate: 48Khz
Number of Audio Channels: 2
Bitrate: 384Kbps
Number of Audio Streams: 1
Number of Subtitles: 0

DVD Features

85 minutes
Auto Play
No Menus
Single Layer

Hardware and software information:

Hardware: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe with Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13ghz, 2gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT, 500gb HD space.
Software: Womble MPEG Video Wizard, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, DVD Lab Pro, Nero Wave Editor, Windows Notepad.

Time needed for the edition: 5 days

Last edited by a moderator:

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice! A man like a tree, they called him Bonsai ;-)
Finally a karate kid fanedit!

segaflip

Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you live state side and would like to mail a copy to me I could do a newsgroup upload for you right away.

GyRo567

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! Even when I first saw this film somewhere around age 7, I already knew that something was inherently wrong with it (and was in fact bored with it even back then and wondered why his girlfriend left him yet again...)

It seems like you've thought of everything that needed to be fixed. I look forward to watching it.

PsyDonia

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the link don´t work.
how can I get this version.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the links are dead. I think i have this. I'll have to look around and reupload it

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
damn it...
I did upload this about 4 or months ago... looks like hardly anyone cares.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thats too bad. I'm putting it up now. hopefully more than 1 person grabs it

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are the new links:

26 parts + md5 checksum. password = fanedit.org

uploaded to Rapidshare

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this should be returning very shortly

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks to a devoted member, this is available once again.

Croweyes1121

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you happen to have the blu-ray version of KKIII? I am hoping someone can confirm if the center channel is a clean dialogue-only channel (with NO music). I'm working on a fanedit of my own, and I don't want to go to the trouble of importing the disc if the center channel has any music in it. I need a clean dialogue channel to finish my edit. :)

Roger Moore

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, after a lot of work, I'm finally finished.

The Karate Kid, Part III: Bonsai Edition

What is it about? The Karate Kid, Part III has always been considered inferior to the first two films by most Karate Kid fans. The Bonsai Edition attempts to turn the film into something not only watchable, but more dramatic and entertaining, with new opening titles, removal of the "recap" scenes from the first two films, a vastly changed order of events, and a new ending.

Tagline: First it was teacher to student. Then it was father to son. Now, it's man to man.

Original film name: The Karate Kid, Part III
New film name : The Karate Kid, Part III: Bonsai Edition
Film studio name : Columbia Pictures
Edit crew name : Ultimist
Date Original Film Was Released : 1989
Date Edit Was Released: 2007
Original Runtime: 112 min
New Runtime: 85 min
Amount of time Cut/Added: 27 min cut

Cuts removed/added/extended:

I have carefully examined every scene, every line of dialogue, and every bit of action, and I concluded that the film could be much improved by removing some of the things that have always nagged me about this film:

All references to Daniel's mother have been removed, and her single "telephone call" scene has been edited out. It is unnecessary and sloppy exposition to tell us where his mother is and why she's not going to be in the movie. We simply don't care. The scene in question was rather cheesy anyway.

I have edited Ralph Macchio's performance liberally, because there were many instances where his acting was utterly terrible. Now, in the Bonsai Edition, he gives a reasonable performance.

Similarly, Thomas Ian Griffith's performance as Terry Silver had some very corny and "over the top" moments. I have cut such moments to a minimum to make him a much more serious and sinister character.

There were many bits of dialogue here and there that revealed the plot far too early, or described something we just saw or heard. Now Silver's motives are a bit more mysterious, and we aren't constantly being reminded of what we just saw.

Mike Barnes' performance has been tweaked a little, as well. Small bits of his expository dialogue have been removed, to give the viewer less talk and more action.

Pat Morita's performance as Miyagi is nearly flawless, as usual, so 99% of his dialogue remains untouched.

The romance between Daniel and Jessica has been reconfigured so that Jessica isn't getting back together with her old boyfriend after all. Now there's a chance she and Daniel might stick together after the credits roll.

The order of events has been drastically altered in the first hour of the film, with no continuity issues or plot holes. Certain scenes have been cut entirely, leaving better scenes to adequately explain what's what and who's who. The film opens with Daniel and Miyagi, rather than Kreese, to establish our heroes before the bad guys start mucking things up.

New music has been added to several scenes that I felt needed some dramatic uplifting.

The tournament was probably the most difficult scene to deal with. I decided to leave it largely intact, with a few minor cuts and changes, and a newly added bit of dialogue to motivate Daniel into "the zone." All dialogue references to "win a point, lose a point" have been removed from the final fight, to perhaps make Barnes appear a bit foolish for losing points just to punish Daniel a bit more.

Note: The video is in its original quality. The retail film was on a single-layer DVD5. I am not sure why the studio opted to sacrifice the picture quality of this film. The excessive graininess you will see from time to time is on the original DVD.

English only audio track. No subtitles. I apologize for any inconvenience.

There are many other minor cuts & edits not mentioned here. I didn't maintain a comprehensive list of changes as I was editing. I feel that the final product is much better than the original film. I hope you enjoy it.

-Ultimist

Video Attributes

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Widescreen NTSC
Source picture resolution: 720x480 (525/60)
Frame Rate: 29.97 frames/sec

Audio Attributes

Audio Encoding: 2ch Dolby Digital AC3
Sampling Rate: 48Khz
Number of Audio Channels: 2
Bitrate: 384Kbps
Number of Audio Streams: 1
Number of Subtitles: 0

DVD Features

85 minutes
Auto Play
No Menus
Single Layer

Hardware and software information:

Hardware: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe with Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13ghz, 2gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT, 500gb HD space.
Software: Womble MPEG Video Wizard, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, DVD Lab Pro, Nero Wave Editor, Windows Notepad.

Time needed for the edition: 5 days

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info
can i have the link for your edit of Karate kid 3 bonzai edition pls?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what edit fixes Daniel and his treatment of mr miyagi?
This thread is for discussing the specifics of the specifics of Ultimiat's The Karate Kid, Part III: Bonsai Edition edit. You can search IFDb to see what Karate Kid edits are available. I'd recommend searching Karate Kid.

Top Bottom