• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Podcast Episode about Fanedits - Looking for a Guest

shana

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone,

I hope this request is in the right place (thanks to some kind guidance).
First off I want to say that I love and admire your work - and I've been browsing through this forum for the past two months, and am just awestruck.

Alas, before I drop deeper into the rabbit hole, I need to remember that I'm already active as an organiser in another, quite similar community - the demoscene. We are a digital subculture that creates realtime-rendered animations, so-called "demos" ever since the 1980s. We have friendly competitions at events called demoparties, and have just been recognised in a bunch of countries as UNESCO Cultural Heritage. For more info, you can also check out Wikipedia's article.

I'm the producer of a community-podcast, called "Zine - The Radio Show". Once in a while we invite guests from our own but also other, adjacent cultures to shed some light and hopefully spark some collaboration, and inspire people on both sides to tinker with each other.
And there are so many opportunities here that people may catch up on - from exchanging knowhow e.g. on home-made state-of-the-art CGI, de- (or even re-)construction of older movie effects made on the Amiga, direction and pacing techniques, sound engineering... but I'm getting ahead of myself!

We would love to invite a faneditor to talk about this community, its history, infrastructure, ways of working and outlook to introduce it to our listeners.

Guests normally only invest 2-3 hours of work, accomodating your own schedule (a pre-discussion with me, going through the prep-sheet to make sure you're comfortable with the questions and our research is correct, and a 1- to 2-hour interview recording according to your availability). We'd plan to record the episode in March or April, so we got enough wiggle-room if life comes in the way.

So yeah, if you're interested and feel you could give a good insight on the fan-edit-community and -culture or have any questions, I would be excited to hear from you! (And yes, we edit episodes in alignment with the guest, we are a rather self-conscious bunch as well.)

---------

As a new user I am not able to post links, of course, and don't mean to spam inappropriately in order to achieve the necessary status - so hope the guidance below will do and it is okay to point to demozoo(dot)org for a few recommendations if you would like to get an idea about our work, tech and potential overlaps:

"Shine'n'Flow" by Adapt (Example Light Effects Demo, PC High-End, made with Notch)
"Clean Slate" by Conspiracy (Example Shader Demo, 64kb .exe-file size, so actually what we call an "intro")
"Eon" by The Black Lotus (Example Amiga 500 Demo)

If you're interested but want to have a listen first, I'd recommend these two episodes (both are available on most of the popular platforms for podcasts, look for Zine - The Radio Show):

#22 Beyond the Scene: Algoraves with Alex McLean (A similar episode to the one we'd like to do about Fanedits)
#26 A Dive Into the Scene’s Psychology with Tom (An episode about tech-creatives, our community and the underlying psychology that might struck a cord with some people here, too)

The demoscene is spectacular, and although I've never connected it with fan-editing before I think they have a lot in common now that you mention it. Great idea!

Anyway, I'm listening to your recent episode with a member from this forum, Bobson Dugnutt. Lovely podcast.

Back
Top Bottom