• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Why don't people review?

Are you talking about the little "i" with the circle around it pop-up (not sure if there's a word for that) on each star category? I would pay no mind to those. According to that, you'd have to give every grindhouse edit 0 stars for Audio Editing:
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I'd disagree. TMBTM accomplished some crazy stuff with their Star Wars edits and it was pretty smooth. Reminds me that I need to go leave a review for that.
Every aspect of your review is subjective, from technical ratings to overall enjoyment.
At some level, but if an audio cut is jarring, it's jarring.

I'd disagree. TMBTM accomplished some crazy stuff with their Star Wars edits and it was pretty smooth. Reminds me that I need to go leave a review for that.

Perhaps not every grindhouse edit. The point being, the review guidelines should be taken with a grain of salt, if not ignored outright. There are no rules you have to follow.

#staff
The point being, the review guidelines should be taken with a grain of salt, if not ignored outright. There are no rules you have to follow.
Yes and no. Yes in that you should share your genuine thoughts and experience, but no in that we do have guidelines that need to be followed (see below)

For the sake of clarity and general reminder for all of us, here are the guidelines.

FE.org Guidelines
IV. Rating Fanedits
All ratings/reviews on The Internet Fanedit Database (IFDb) are moderated to ensure quality control. Faneditors are not allowed to rate their own fanedits, however they may comment on reviews if they feel the need to. Ratings need to be fair and include a comment explaining how a score was ascertained. Lengthy or detailed reviews are typically not a requirement but are highly encouraged. Detailed reviews are required when giving a low rating (see below). When rating, please consider ALL of the following criteria:​
  1. Technical quality: Were the image and sound quality up to par?
  2. Editing quality: Did you notice any jarring video or audio cuts? Did the fanedit flow well?
  3. Narrative: How well did the editor achieve their goals? Were there plot-holes created (or resolved?) Does it work?
  4. Enjoyment: Were you entertained by the fanedit?
Any rating of 5 stars or lower requires a clear and detailed explanation of the reasoning for such a low score because ratings this low suggest the quality may be insufficient for our community. Ratings below 5 stars and lacking a sufficient comment will be rejected. Be fair when rating and reviewing edits. Don’t abuse the ratings system to get back at someone who rated your fanedit or your friend’s fanedit lower than you expected.
Do not use the review feature to request download links or where to find fanedits.​

Also here are the informational bubble guidelines found on the review page.

Review Guidelines
Audio/Video Quality
Please rate the overall quality of the picture and sound compared to the original.
Visual Editing
Please rate the overall quality of the visual editing, were edits jarring or smooth? Were there flash frames, awkward jump-cuts or edits which jumped out?​
Audio Editing
Please rate the overall quality of the audio editing for this edit. Were the cuts smooth and blend in or were they rough, abrupt and obvious?​
Narrative
Please rate the new narrative/changes, do they add or detract? Are there plot holes generated or fixed?​
Enjoyment
Please provide a rating for the overall edit in terms of your enjoyment.​

We've historically left the review rating guidelines vague in order to not dissuade reviewers from leaving reviews when so little reviews are left in the first place. This thread perhaps is indicating that a bit more clarity/direction might support more reviewing? Also, thanks for starting this thread @tremault ! It's been really interesting to read all of our interactions and thoughts with the review process.

What does vauge mean? Do you mean vague?
That's what's up! Very clear and concise guidlines.

Last edited:
What I would ask is not for more rules, but only a common sense request that reviewers be consistent with their own standards.

It doesn't make sense to me to be like "I love Star Wars, this edit is Star Wars, there were some technical problems introduced by the editor but it gets all 10s from me because Star Wars" and then be meticulous with notes and doing real scores for other edits.

Agreed on both points @addiesin . I think the guidelines are pretty good and clear at the moment (talking as a community member here). I honestly had a bit of a recalibration myself in reviewing and compiling the guidelines post. Always good to review Guidelines when in doubt :)

I don't know if this is the place to submit this comment, but I've recently been trying to review a couple of films and have been denied. It says, "database error" in red after I hit "submit". I'm not sure what the problem is. I've logged out and in, etc etc but can't seem to get it to go. It's been this way for a month. If there is anyone who knows a quick fix here, would appreciate it, as I very much like reviewing the fanedits I want to recommend to others.

I don't know if this is the place to submit this comment, but I've recently been trying to review a couple of films and have been denied. It says, "database error" in red after I hit "submit". I'm not sure what the problem is. I've logged out and in, etc etc but can't seem to get it to go. It's been this way for a month. If there is anyone who knows a quick fix here, would appreciate it, as I very much like reviewing the fanedits I want to recommend to others.
I figured it out. Emojis.

I've written two reviews recently, after a long hiatus. Part of it is due to laziness.
But there are other contributing factors. I think it was in the early days I remembered trying to watch stuff with the pretense that I hadn't seen it before, I mean isn't that the point of a fanedit, you're making alterations but want people not to notice what has been tinkered with? Often I don't read the cutlist and when I reach the end of a film and maybe check it then I think 'oh my, I can't believe I forgot about that part.'
I don't like to review the technical aspects because I don't have the basic skillset to identify alot of them, I watch stuff on a humble tv usually though a WD player, and when codecs don't play I reencode through format factor, there's sometimes a noticeable drop in quality but that's largely my own doing. I do worry that my reviews are a little safe, but I try to put more into them "thanks, this was a great edit." I think it's fair to say what you might not have liked but I do tend to enjoy most of what I watch.

Hey mods, quick question...

If I write a review for an edit, can I go back later and update my review after multiple viewings?

^Personally, I have done that before with a note that my new comment was from a 2nd/3rd viewing. There is an Army of Darkness edit that has 3 different cuts on the same disc, and I wasn't going to watch them all in a row!

^Personally, I have done that before with a note that my new comment was from a 2nd/3rd viewing. There is an Army of Darkness edit that has 3 different cuts on the same disc, and I wasn't going to watch them all in a row!
If you find yourself liking it better sometime after the initial viewing I don't think the editor would complain!

Suppose too that this could be in order if the edit has been altered (e.g. a glitch resolved) and viewed again, ostensibly the same project giving a different (and hopefully improved!) experience that justifies an updated review.

Hey mods, quick question...

If I write a review for an edit, can I go back later and update my review after multiple viewings?
#staff
Yes. If you log into ifdb, click on the user menu and then click on My Reviews you can select the review you want to update then click the edit button to update the review.

Late to the discussion, but reviews do come with a whole mixed bag of feelings. I agree with Malthus about reviews being the currency of fan editing, but I try not to rely on them for a sense of self-worth. I have started including an additional "Always interested to hear what people think!" line in my request responses, which has prompted feedback even if mostly on the message-level.

In regards to the reviews themselves, it can be frustrating when some people are very good at discussing details and others just seem to come from left field. My "favorite" review from my work is the person who disagreed with the edit on principle and dinged me for it but thought it was well done haha.

You just gotta take satisfaction in doing it for you and hopefully the few people who do give feedback. I'm lucky, I've got some IRL friends and family I can share my edits with but at the end if the day, I just find editing, the process of it, makes me feel good. It takes my mind off of all the negative crap in the world I can't fix or change for a few hours here and there to do something creative. DM me some of your edits, I'd gladly check them out for you :)

I don't get upset, but I get a little disappointed that if people are interested in watching, they don't leave any feedback, despite requesting just a few short words.

Late to the discussion, but reviews do come with a whole mixed bag of feelings. I agree with Malthus about reviews being the currency of fan editing, but I try not to rely on them for a sense of self-worth. I have started including an additional "Always interested to hear what people think!" line in my request responses, which has prompted feedback even if mostly on the message-level.

In regards to the reviews themselves, it can be frustrating when some people are very good at discussing details and others just seem to come from left field. My "favorite" review from my work is the person who disagreed with the edit on principle and dinged me for it but thought it was well done haha.
I always add 'if you have a minute after viewing, a review is always appreciated and can be left at the link below'...in order to make it as easy as possible...but even then and the recent avalanche in requests for SUG and The Godfather, they remain few and far between. I read each with interest and do make tweaks where constructive feedback makes a good case and chimes with my intent (Superman's ending, Godfather, SUG were all tweaked on the back of reviews).

As has been said, ultimately, we do this for ourselves...heck...ive had dozens of edits sitting in my archive unsubmitted with zero reviews from when I went AWOL for 6 years plus....I had no issues with zero reviews, so each review now received is a treasured morsel, no matter how brief. A couple have brough tears to my eye too coz they were so eloquently written (truly). One of the reviews for SUG is a mini dissertation (truly).

Personally, I'm trying to leave as many as I can...and it's seeing other reviews pop up that make me recall...'heck, I have seen that too', and I pump one out whenever I can (subject to recall).

I think the problem for me is I watch edits of films I enjoy but I have only seen a few times most many years previously.
So even though I know the film well enough and I don't know it scene for scene, so when I thought about leaving a review I can't really do more than say whether I enjoyed the edit or not and can't start talking about specific changes as I don't know what has been cut or changed and don't want to end up sounding stupid.

Back
Top Bottom