• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stargate

Redstar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently people generally don't like this movie. I've always loved it and once watched it over four times in one day when there was a marathon on. I know the story is hardly original and, while the characters were deep, never truly finished the journey the beginning of the movie established they had to go through.

However, the effects were great for its time, the characters were interesting (despite not really developing), the story was vague enough not to be pretentious and bloated, and Jaye Davidson was a brilliant choice for a child-emperor. The flock of children surrounding him characterized him as creepy and inhuman in a way most directors would have established through violence or on-screen sex. Overall it was a cool flick that doesn't take long to watch and inspires thought into all the threads that could be explored. Hardly anything like Michael bay or Emmerich's (later) dumb summer blockbusters.

What do you all think of it?

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actually like this movie. Have watched it many times on DVD.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's one of Emmerich's better efforts (not saying much, I know ;) ) and it's a reasonably satisfying watch. I never really enjoyed the "outdoors" part of the climax, but I do like the Kurt side of it. :)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved it, I have the extended edition even though it hardly adds anything new to the mix.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
saw in the theatre and own the EE dvd (gotta get the blu)
always liked this one simply because I am fascinated with the egyptians/pyramids/aliens theories.
and am a sci-fi hound.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah... it seems an easy target to me to group aliens, time travel, egyptians and god worship in a sci-fi movie that nerds will love.

Redstar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha. That's really surprising... I posted about this on the Jacurutu Dune forum because I expected a storytelling perspective on why this movie is bad (posted here for a film perspective), and expected some harsh comments since these Dune fans are very elitist with their science fiction. However, everyone that posted there said they loved it or loved it despite its flaws.

Just reading about the movie and hearing that Roger Ebert gave it one star, commenting "the movie Ed Wood, about the worst director of all time, was made to prepare us for Stargate", and leaving it on his list of ten most hated films even to this date really confused me. Even looking back through this forum there's only two threads with a focus on it, one to edit it into the show's continuity, and the other as a "hopeless cause" challenge.

I suppose the thing that bothers me the most is the fans of the show that seemingly hate the movie. I've seen people laughing at things the movie "got wrong" that the show "corrected" and taking the time to wish the Emmerich trilogy is never completed. Having watched the show, it's even more cliche and campy, so I can't see their right to be so elitist.

ZSEDC4

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't really get why people hate on Stargate so much. Yes, the movie plot was a little loose. But it was one of the director's better movies and launched a series that is (somehow) still making money (and episodes) for whoever owns it right now.

Redstar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently bought both the Special Edition and Extended Edition (Director's Cut?) versions of Stargate. The backs of the boxes don't indicate any differences in what's included, and in fact seem to imply they have the same stuff. I can't find any comparisons online excepting for one comparing the theatrical cut with the director's cut (Extended Edition).

Anyone have some idea what differences there are other than the box-art, disc menu, and (from a quick look) a difference in subtitle font. (And don't worry about price... Got them both for $3 each)

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Redstar said:
I recently bought both the Special Edition and Extended Edition (Director's Cut?) versions of Stargate. The backs of the boxes don't indicate any differences in what's included, and in fact seem to imply they have the same stuff. I can't find any comparisons online excepting for one comparing the theatrical cut with the director's cut (Extended Edition).

Anyone have some idea what differences there are other than the box-art, disc menu, and (from a quick look) a difference in subtitle font. (And don't worry about price... Got them both for $3 each)
For pics and comparison:
http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2264

Short summary of changes:
Details of the additional scenes included in the longer 9 minute version release by Artisan on DVD
- An additional scene added straght in at the beginning immediately after the opening titles (originally it faded to the dig at giza) shows the entirety of the scene where Ra takes over the body of the caveboy showing the cavemen running from the light in the sky and showing him walking towards it. From this point it fades to the original opening scene at the Giza dig.
- Moments after the stargate has been hoisted up by the workmen at the Giza dig, people notice that there is something underneath it: a group of the Hora guards encased in the stone. The director's commentary on the DVD states that these are other guards that have come through the gate after it was sealed and were re-integrated straight into the stone.
- In the scene after the stargate has been opened for the first time and the military are checking the pictures of the marking of the gate on the other gate, after James Spader says he is 'positive' he can decipher the symbols, Kurt Russel's character turns and says "it's your call" in the theatrical version. In the special edition the line has been re-dubbed by him saying instead now "he's full of shit" - presumably this was done for rating purposes of the theatrical release.
- An additional scene before Kurt Russell is gearing up with the group about to go through the stargate, shows him going to a secured area to look at the stone/fossil Hora's.
- When the army group are setting up the camp in the desert there is a longer scene where the group discuss more about how the stargate works and how they are going to get back to Earth. The scene during the sandstorm inside the pyramid is also extended with more footage of them talking about the sandstorm and how they are going to get back to earth.
- When the sandstorm initially hits at the nagada village and Kurt Russell, James Spader and the others are locked inside the city, they decide that they do not want to stay and decide to leave; when the natives try to stop them Kurt Russell shoots at the ground to frightem them off. The boy (whom he later befriends) takes him up above to see the sandstorm approach. After this, a native that they were holding at gunpoint is released and Jackson comments "Sandstorm, that would have been a brilliant reason to shoot everyone".
- The scene when James Spader awakes in the sarcophagus after being killed is extended, showing him walking towards Ra's chamber, seeing a cat sitting on Ra's throne.
- When James Spader turns and shoots at Ra instead of his comrades so that they can flee, there are several extended cuts put in. Originally they were just ushered away by the natives, in the special edition they ride away on one of the Mastadges. Kurt Russell and James Spader are then seen lost in a sandstorm and found by the boys, and taken to the caves (which is in the theatrical edition); an additional scene after this sees the boys feeding the Mastadges outside the caves.

Personally I think you can clearly spot what was added in the director's cut, as the added footage's quality is not as good as the one of the theatrical cut.

Redstar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that's the one comparison I had mentioned. It's about the differences between the Extended Edition and the theatrical cut. However, I'm wanting to know what the differences are between the Extended Edition and the Special Edition, as seen here:

418XEC6H2AL._SS500_.jpg

I did a quick viewing of the Special Edition right after watching the Extended Edition and they both have the deleted scenes added into the the film (the Extended Edition directly as the actual movie and the Special Edition as one of two options, the first for Theatrical Cut and the second for Special Cut). The only difference in the Special Edition I can see is a different menu, slightly better subtitles, and a very dark movie.

EDIT: I found this early review which seems to indicate the Extended Edition is simply a better transfer than the original Special Edition was. However, it suggests the Special Edition didn't have the added footage, as mine does. And it says the Extended Edition is a two-disc DVD, while mine only has one... I really hate multiple-releases.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@bionicbob looks like there's already a designated Stargate thread, go wild!
...be careful for what you ask for... šŸ˜

l7na1mSl.jpg

SG-1...

JACK O'NEILL (with two L's!) - Anderson's two stipulations before accepting the role as the sardonic Colonel O'Neill was that it be an ensemble piece and his character to have comedic elements. He got his wish. While Anderson could be hillariously funny at time, the series always took the time to remind you that he was soldier of the Cold War, who could be cold, ruthless and dangerous when needed. In later seasons, Anderson's role became reduced (due to commuting family time between L.A. and Vancouver), with some fans complaining he was just "phoning in" his performance towards the end of season 8. I dunno. I found Anderson completely enjoyable and reliable through the entire run. He played O'Neill as a very flawed man who carried a lot of ghosts, which I loved. He remained connected to the franchise after his departure in season 8, making guest appearances in later seasons and on the spin-off series SGA and SGU.

SAM CARTER - the brains of the team. Tapping is just pitch perfect in the role -- brilliant professional, warm, caring and unflinching. No wonder every alien guest star seemed to fall in love with her character lol. We got to explore her personal side with her father, who becomes a member of the Tok'ra. And there was the continual suggestion that there was romantic feelings between O'Neill and Carter but that both chose to ignore due to their commitment to the SG Program. Though in a deleted scene from Atlantis season four, Carter essentially confirms she is in a relationship with O'Neil by that point. Carter would appeare in SGU and would be a regular in SGA for their fourth season.

DANIEL JACKSON -- the conscience of the team. During the earlier seasons, actor Shanks did an amazing impersonation of James Spader character but once he cut his hair, the impersonation went with it. Jackson was often O'Neill foil, but it wasn't always that easy or simple. As Jackson could be very naive or self rightous at times, often blinding him to the grey complexities of the situation. But as the series went on, his character became more complex. Jackson was killed and then ASCENDED at the end of season 5, making guest appearances through season 6 and then returning full time for season 7. His character would make guest appearances on both SGU and SGA.

TEALC -- "Indeed". He may not say much, but when he does he says it perfectly. Our doorway character into the Stargate universe. He has a deep bond with O'Neill, as both are warriors who carry the weight of their past actions. Over the course of the series, Tealc grew from exile Jaffa warrior to revolutionary leader of he is people and eventually wise elder statesmen.

GEORGE S. HAMMOND -- "Hammond of Texas". Father figure and commander of the SG Program, a man of honour who puts his people's safety first over politics. A strong, reassuring character. Due health issues, actor Don Davis departed the series after season 7, though he continued to make guest appearances.

JANET FRAISER -- for 8 seasons she was Chief Medical Officer to the program, best friend to Sam and mother to the alien Cassandra. Fraiser sacrificed her life in the line of duty in the fantastic two parter "Heroes".

Last edited:

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yNxH30xm.jpg

STARGATE SG-1
seasons One and Two...

SG1 began life on the cable channel SHOWTIME with a full two season (44 episode) commitment.

The movie premeire "CHILDREN OF THE GODS" introduces (or re-introduces) our characters, world and plot. Much like Star Trek, it started out as an exploratory/planet of the week show. While in the beginning, the series was mostly episodic, it did have an overarching background storyline -- specifically the growing threat of evil Goa'uld System Lord APOPHIS and the search for Daniel's kidnapped wife Sha're and young Skaara.

In 2009, Children of the Gods would be re-released as a seperate straight to DVD movie -- recut, remastered and reimagined -- with nearly 7 minutes cut, new FX, new scoring and alternate cut of scenes.

In early first season episodes, certain elements that were introduced in the pilot were quickly discarded or downplayed. The Gate did not leave you feeling sick and covered in ice, O'Neil's team stopped wearing full combat attire such as helmets, and Daniel did not have to act as full on translator for every new race encountered. Again, like Star Trek, apparently everyone in the galaxy speaks English LOL. I always thought there should have been a throw away line of dialogue explaining the Gate somehow works as a Universal Translator.

Seasons one and two in particular, are written and played pretty serious, straight and earnest. While light comedic moments were present, they would not become more dominant until later seasons. But right from the beginning, the series had a great sense of Popcorn Entertainment.

Lots of key worldbuilding was done in those first two seasons, which would provide the foundation of the entire Stargate franchise for years to come.... the original Four Races, Jaffa culture and history, the Asgard, the Tok'ra, Senator Kinsey, time travel and alternate realities...

While there a couple missteps and stinkers (Hathor...lol), overall the first two seasons are great fun and still remain topical and highly engaging.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
xFPJgHem.jpg

STARGATE SG-1
seasons THREE to FIVE....

Sokar...
the Unas...
the Tollans...
Ascension...
Maybourne...
the Replicators...
Wormhole X-Treme...
the death of Daniel...

Seasons 3, 4 and 5 are just fantastic fun sci-fi adventure television. The series was firing perfectly on all cylinders, producing one entertaining gem after another. The first two seasons were the learning curve, the next three were confident and bold storytelling that richly expanded on previous concepts, weaving an intricate tapestry of series mythology. The System Lords remained our favourite weekly moustach twirling, over the top villains but greater dangers were introduced both abroad with the Replicators and at home with Maybourne and Kinsey. We learned more about the Ancients and the original Goa'uld hosts. We see the fall of Apophis and the rise of Anubis. And of course, we say goodbye to Daniel... sort of...

But mostly we just got great characters. And that is heart of the series, the relationship between the SG-1 team. These are people who like and respect each other. They are not perfect. They disagree and fight like family. But you like them. You root for them. They are classic heroes.

For me, seasons 3-5 is the Golden Age of the SG-1 run. While there are many, many fantastic adventures in future seasons, there is just something tonally/structurelly "perfect" about these three seasons.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bwGGlk9m.jpg

STARGATE SG-1 Season Six

During its fifth season, Showtime decided they were not interested in renewing their MGM contract to continue the series. MGM shopped the series to the Sc-Fi Channel, to produce a final sixth season, with the intention of transistioning the series to the Big Screen as Paramount had with Star Trek. Sci-Fi accepted the offer, though giving the series a slightly lower budget.

During the Sci-Fi Channel era, Anderson filming availability became more limited. Thus, there are many episodes where Jack plays a smaller role or if you watch the editing carefully, you can tell he is not in an actual scene and they are using a body double. Many fans also feel this when Anderson's performance began to change, become lighter and more comedic. Though in the sixth season episode "Smoke and Mirrors", Anderson proves he still has the chops and is not 'phoning it in', as some fans accuse.

The biggest change was the addition of the character of JONAS QUINN to replace Daniel Jackson. This change divided many in the fanbase. Personally, I loved the addition of Jonas. He brought a refreshing new dynamic to the team. Unfortunately, his time would prove limited. As Shanks would continue to make guest appearances in season six and would return as series regular in season seven. Thus, Jonas and the storylines he brought, were mostly abandoned.

Still, a great season! The Anubus threat grew to cosmic epic proportions, with an incredible season cliffhanger that was originally designed to launch the series into Big Screen Movies, except the Sci-Fi Channel was so happy with the ratings they decided to renew the series at the very last moment.

And the adventures continues....

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LbMtgoMm.jpg

SG-1 seasons 7 and 8...

Daniel returns from the dead with season 7, as the quest to find an Ancient Lost City begins. Again, the producers thought season 7 would be the last and began prepping for either a spin-off series to replace SG-1 or a transition to Feature Films. But once again, Sci-Fi renewed the series for an eighth season, and producers had to switch gears and instead created the concurrent running spin-off ATLANTIS.

Seasons 7 and 8 are richer than any other in character beats and exploring our team's personal lives more than ever before. Don Davis departed the series at the end of season 7 and Colonel O'Neill was promoted to General, lightening Anderson filming schedule even more due to decreasing availability.

Though the budget was somewhat smaller, there is an epic serial sweep to these two last seasons, as various storylines were addressed and wrapped up. The final episodes of season 8 (Reckoning Pts 1&2, Threads and Moebius Pt. 1 & 2) provide a resoundingly rewarding closing chapter to the original SG-1 team for long time fans.

It was the end of an era and what a glorious ride it was!

HFh3gkvl.jpg

STARGATE ATLANTIS (2004-2009)
created by Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper
seasons 1 to 3....

Originally envisioned as a replacement series for SG-1, with the SG Team finding Atlantis under the ice in Antarctica. When SG-1 was renewed, SGA became a concurrent running spin-off, with the location of Atlantis moved to the far off Pegasus Galaxy.

Unlike SG-1, which seemed to find it's winning story formula right out of the gate (lol), SGA constantly felt like a show that was being tinkered with by TPTB throughout its entire 5 season run.

The new Big Bads, The Wraith, essentially space vampires, were visually incredible villains, though somewhat limited storywise. Also, establishing in the pilot that the ENTIRE Pegasus Galaxy was Industrial Age or lower in technology quickly tied writer's hands, and was eventaully discarded as new antognists were brought in, including the return of humanoid Replicators.

The core cast was great, having a similar dynamic of conflict and respect as the original. Major Shephard certainly had an O'Neill sarcastic flare and Rodney McKay (as our Carter stand-in) was a brillaint last second addition to the series -- his character was literally added during the filming of the pilot. Teala, was wonderful as our resident alien/warrior/tour guide. Wier was a refreshing new leader character. Though originally designed to be a Hammod style background character, she quickly outgrew this role. Only the character of Ford, the inexperienced soldier, never quite clicked. Ford was replaced on the team in season two by a new alien Ronon Dex (played by Jason Momoa) and became a recurring Wraith infected villain.

Season one played out much like SG-1 earlier seasons, the tone and characters were a bit darker and more serious. But the classic light comedic elements that made SG-1 so enjoyable would eventaully become a mainstay of the show.

Again, as with most shows, season one is trial and error period as the producers figure out what works but the season ended on one of the best multi-part cliffhangers in the entire Stargate franchise history -- "The Siege".

In the following seasons, SGA storytelling would become stronger, carving out its own unique identity and style, despite some the behind the scenes activity, that led to a revolving door of characters.

It is a high action show with a great sense of humour and humanity.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is up with Jason Momoa and Atlantis?!

(Just got an error message saying that my post is too short lol)

Top Bottom