• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d like to see less canon, call-backs, rhyming, universe building, etc, in favor of simply good storytelling. It feels like all that other stuff comes first these days and then they try to shoehorn a good story around it. I’d rather see fans trying to shoehorn canon around good stories.

marsgrey21

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't see much care about canon, rhyming or universe building, they forced a story and new characters that didn't belong here and contradict everything we know.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only only one who's loving how this is coming together?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only only one who's loving how this is coming together?
Step Brothers Yep GIF by reactionseditor

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m watching it with my kid and he loves it. For me, it doesn’t have much story. There’s little suspense involved for the main characters as we know their fates. The new characters’ fates were pretty easy to guess.

If, after the tragedy in Texas, the show opted to merely put a warning before the first episode rather than edit it, it was pretty easy to connect the dots as who one of the younglings was. If those scenes were merely to remind audiences of Anakin’s deeds, they could’ve don that in a way less directly tied to the younglings.

So it feels like so much filler. Like Solo, a flawed adventure story that wasn’t needed but is harmless enough. And the mere fact that I get to watch it with my son is enough for me.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What was cut?
Nothing was cut. That’s the point. After the tragedy in Uvalde they had ample opportunity to recut the beginning of the show to show the Order 66 scenes but minimize the focus on younglings (if a simple reminder of Anakin’s fall was the sole purpose of those scenes). But they didn’t and instead opted to put a warning before the show.

That, to me, immediately indicated that it wasn’t merely Order 66 being highlighted, but the killing of younglings. The only reason I could think of was that a youngling or youngling’s relative was going to figure prominently in the show.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah ok, I thought they cut that scene down because of what happened in Texas.

But even without that warning, you could see the "twist" from a mile away. They immediately put the focus on the black youngling girl. She was standing in the middle of them and was the only one who said something in that scene. But instead of making Reeva interesting right away, they waited four and a half episodes...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah ok, I thought they cut that scene down because of what happened in Texas.

But even without that warning, you could see the "twist" from a mile away. They immediately put the focus on the black youngling girl. She was standing in the middle of them and was the only one who said something in that scene. But instead of making Reeva interesting right away, they waited four and a half episodes...
Agreed.

The big issue with her is the same as with Kenobi, Leia, and Vader. We know that nothing of any real consequence can happen. With Reva, she has stated goals (1. Find Kenobi; 2. Ambition to become Grand Inquisitor). Yet we know she can’t be successful. If we suppose she holds a grudge against him, she can’t kill him. She can’t help Vader kill Kenobi. And, though I admit I didn’t know anything about the GI storylines from other properties, apparently it was known she couldn’t end the series as GI. If we suppose she’s motivated to kill Vader as a result of Order 66, we know she can’t be successful in that either. So she’s a villain with no teeth. Unlike others, I think the actress has done a fine job, I just think the character is half baked. Maybe the last episode will do more with her and there will be real concrete stakes for the show. But right now the whole thing feels like an inconsequential side quest.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The big issue with her is the same as with Kenobi, Leia, and Vader. We know that nothing of any real consequence can happen. With Reva, she has stated goals (1. Find Kenobi; 2. Ambition to become Grand Inquisitor). Yet we know she can’t be successful. If we suppose she holds a grudge against him, she can’t kill him. She can’t help Vader kill Kenobi. And, though I admit I didn’t know anything about the GI storylines from other properties, apparently it was known she couldn’t end the series as GI. If we suppose she’s motivated to kill Vader as a result of Order 66, we know she can’t be successful in that either. So she’s a villain with no teeth. Unlike others, I think the actress has done a fine job, I just think the character is half baked. Maybe the last episode will do more with her and there will be real concrete stakes for the show. But right now the whole thing feels like an inconsequential side quest.

Absolutely. This show should be renamed to Wasted Opportunities: A Star Wars Story

But regarding the inconsequential side quest...

I'm willing to bet there are plans of a Reeva show floating around at Disney. And now that we know some of Obi Wan's history we can probably look forward to an "Adventures of Obi Wan Kenobi's Brother" cartoon too...

Last edited:

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing was cut. That’s the point. After the tragedy in Uvalde they had ample opportunity to recut the beginning of the show to show the Order 66 scenes but minimize the focus on younglings (if a simple reminder of Anakin’s fall was the sole purpose of those scenes). But they didn’t and instead opted to put a warning before the show.
Netflix did the same thing with Stranger Things 4.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn’t love it; I didn’t hate it. It wrapped up this little story in extremely predictable fashion, but it was still fun. The overall series was diminished, IMO, by a story in which we know what’s going to happen to all the main characters, established and new. My son, who is nine, of course was on the edge of his seat though. But I hate the excuse that the kids are intended audience. LFL knows that’s simply not the case anymore. Yes, they are a part of the audience and I don’t want a super dark and gritty show that I wouldn’t be able to watch with my kids. But providing stories that work for both kids and adults alike shouldn’t be that hard. But I think it requires going beyond telling backstories. Yes, the story was padded; yes, sometimes the show looked cheap; yes, some of the action was painful to watch. But none of that bothers me more than a story that provides no real tension because we know the characters’ fates. Still, it is harmless enough fun. I’d give it a B- .

Edit: I had to make this. 🤣

153-E5864-78-EA-4-B78-8-CFB-CDE73-DC17-CBC.jpg

Last edited:

thaninley

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait for a good fan edit of this series. I think a good third of this series could be cut and made into a much more enjoyable show. Here's hoping Hal9000 or someone else takes up the challenge.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't wait for a good fan edit of this series. I think a good third of this series could be cut and made into a much more enjoyable show. Here's hoping Hal9000 or someone else takes up the challenge.
I have thought about this also, but one recurring problem: how much of this show is truly substantive?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have thought about this also, but one recurring problem: how much of this show is truly substantive?
I appreciate that they tried to give some character arc. Both Kenobi and Reva had an arc. Kenobi was able to move past blaming himself for, well, everything. And Reva’s arc is self-explanatory. But they didn’t emphasize either enough IMO. Moving some of Reva’s flashbacks of Anakin earlier so it is obvious (at least intentionally obvious) what her motivations are would help. Maybe even move the conversation between her and Kenobi to earlier which I think would be possible if you’re going to tighten up the whole thing. Kenobi would be a bit more difficult to deal with, but might be possible with audio flashbacks. I’d remove a lot of bad action and inconsequential confrontations since we know nothing terrible will happen to Kenobi, Leia, or Luke. One Vader confrontation is probably enough.

Of course, all of this is mere spitballing because there will never be an ownable release. 🤷‍♂️

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished up watching. It was ok, but as has been mentioned, the fact that we know Kenobi, Vader, Luke, Leia, Oewn, and Beru all survive & the kids remain unknown to Vader takes away pretty much all tension. There is no real danger to any of them. The rest of the characters? 🤷‍♂️ They're supporting mooks and again it's inconsequential to the overall plot arc what happens to them.
I found Reva incredibly annoying. The character wasn't well thought-out and I didn't enjoy the acting at all--she was trying too hard the entire time. On the other side of the coin, I kind of liked the portrayal of young Leia.
Anyway, not the best or worst offering for the IP. I don't envision going back to watch again.

Top Bottom