• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars - The Final Order by Spence

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All versions have been updated with the fixed audio track. Again, the audio track is also available on it's own if you just want to remux it to the version you may have already obtained. It'll work for any of the sizes.

Now that that's been solved, here's some stuff I'm doing for Version 2:

- The little bit of old crawl text that snuck into the background has been eliminated.

- Palpatine's line about killing him and passing on his spirit has been moved back to the end of the movie, where it originally took place. This clarifies Palpatine's plans a bit more, but also makes Rey seem less clueless. I have reverted his line at the beginning back to the "unnatural abilities" thing he originally said. The editing around both of these scenes is a little less choppy now because I could retain more shots of Palpatine.

- The color/brightness/contrast of Leia's death scene is adjusted to better match the daylight scenes with Rey. I can't do much about the rain in the background, but it can be assumed this is just water from inside the cave. It at least now looks like it's roughly the same time of day.

- The transition from leaving on the Falcon to Kylo and the Knights of Ren flying to the Star Destroyer has been reworked to be a little less sudden.

- Some tweaks to the dialogue replacement in the Force Bond fight to give Kylo more purpose in the scene, beyond taunting Rey. It's not much, but it's a little more context and makes it feel less rushed.

- I put the initial reaction to Hux being the spy back in. I still hate it, but cutting it just makes it feel disjointed. Can't win 'em all.

- Rey's line about finding and destroying Palpatine has been removed. The idea was to make her intentions a little murky, but it didn't really work. Also, murky intentions aren't a particularly "Star Warsy" notion, especially for the main character. Now she hears the Sith whisper and reacts to it, which triggers Finn to try to comfort her.

- The transition from Ben on the Death Star to Rey on Ach-To has been reworked to be a bit smoother.

I've received feedback on some other things as well, but I'm not changing everything that's been mentioned. Some of it I'm fine with as-is, and some of it is a deliberate choice that I like. I want this to be the best it can be, but I also want it to remain "The Spence Edit."

I'm certain that a lot of the work from this is going to find it's way into future fanedits. I know HAL9000 is doing a Rey Nobody version of Ascendent that will incorporate a lot of the things I did here, just as I used a lot of the work from his edit for this. That's the fun part of Star Wars edits. We borrow and steal from each other to make new things. If there's something I did here that I'm not intending to change that irks you, by all means, borrow and steal!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm testing out an idea, this is very rough.

Basically, I wanted to try and establish that something is up with Leia before her actual death scene so it doesn't come out of nowhere. I don't know that this is a change I NEED to do, but I think it might help with the choppiness at the beginning of the edit.

Here's a test clip of the concept:

Obviously I'd have to tidy up the audio transition and add ambient sound, but do you think this is worth pursuing?

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Basically, I wanted to try and establish that something is up with Leia before her actual death scene so it doesn't come out of nowhere. I don't know that this is a change I NEED to do, but I think it might help with the choppiness at the beginning of the edit.

Obviously I'd have to tidy up the audio transition and add ambient sound, but do you think this is worth pursuing?
I think it is a good idea, Leia feeling she is going to die and obviously Kylo (Ben) and Rey feeling her death.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

While I honestly believe the way you originally had it works very well,
if you wanted to go this direction, what if you cut from 13 seconds (Leia's hand grabs the console) to 25seconds Rey's expression right after she is zapped, the audience might infer Rey feels Leia's pain?
But would you insert before all of this an establishing shot of Leia? Or would you go back and re-insert the whole original scene between Leia and Rey?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having watched your original edit, I do think this is better. But the transition to the MF still seems abrupt. It’s needs another beat.

ashwad

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As if my opinion matters...I really like your concept here. The clip of her getting weak at the console and the others who are strong in the force feeling it, added weight to idea of Leia's death. I liked the expressions of the other soldiers as well.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided not to include the above clip with more Leia footage. Conceptually it's helpful, but the flow of everything gets thrown off by it.

During the Leia death scene, I've swapped the last shots of Rey and Kylo. A lot of feedback told me I should have them the way I have them now, but it doesn't feel right on my gut. Going from Rey's reaction to Kylo's reaction, then down to the Falcon just feels better/right to me. I can't really explain it. As Finn says, it's a feeling.

I've got a few other things I'm trying with, so this V2 should be ready for next month. It's not a huge revolutionary difference. The biggest change is to the two big Palpatine scenes. So if you were pretty happy with V1, V2 isn't a requirement.

Getting the new audio file for V1 because I messed up rendering the surround panning, however, is definitely a requirement!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New test! I reworked Leia's death again, this time to make all of the audio a little more deliberate. I removed the score from all the dialogue I needed to use MI-2 style. Then, I combined two different tracks that fit the tone fairly well but could also blend together fairly easily. I think I like this better, and with some further iteration it may be the way this looks in V2.

Fran_Garcia

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New test! I reworked Leia's death again, this time to make all of the audio a little more deliberate. I removed the score from all the dialogue I needed to use MI-2 style. Then, I combined two different tracks that fit the tone fairly well but could also blend together fairly easily. I think I like this better, and with some further iteration it may be the way this looks in V2.

Without doubt a great improvement and a moving scene.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Without a doubt, a shoo-in for one of the best scenes in the edit. My only comment is that the volume of the score could be lowered just a tad. Otherwise, this is an easy 10/10! A far more meaningful send-off for Carrie Fisher than repurposing unused footage from TFA. 🥲

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched this mess of a movie only once, and that was Hal9000's edit. It was a 5/10 - and probably a 3/10 without Hal's changes (which i only read the cutlist for AFTER having watched the film). However, I never once felt emotional throughout the entire edit.

This, however, made me feel something. Put it in - and please send me a PM once V2 is ready. This is definitely worth a watch with my gf (who hasn't watched the last one yet because she knows i loathe it, haha).

The music accompanied with Chewie's screams sent shivers.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I guess that's going in then!

I will likely have V2 ready next week. Honestly right now I'm just trying to get the audio mix exactly right, all the adjustments I wanted to make are done.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HAVING SEEN THE PREVIEW FOR V2:

(Note: This is the ramblings of a madman with fanedit heart writing down notes every ten minutes - be aware)

1. The musical alterations you have done (and I do suspect there are many ones) are all brilliant.
2. The pacing is good. The first 25 minutes are a firework, and although it can almost be exhausing, it is just on the line not. I also think the score alterations help out in this respect. It gives an identity to everything going on on-screen.
3. Leia's early death instantly increases the stakes, and makes the film start out on an emotional high rather than a confusing and contrieved low (like the original/Hal9000's (never watched the original TROS)).
4. I would add ambience and increase Falcon landing sound on the scene where Chewie, Poe and Finn learn about Leia's death. The scene works just well enough, but this would nail it imo.
5. I would increase master audio by 15-20%. The volume is noticecably low. The reason I state 15-20% is because this is the amount of sound I had to amp it up on my surround system from where I usually have it for most films.
6. The amazing flashback scene on Vader's helmet, with the added (???) line "You're just a creature in a mask" followed by "Yes, I am" and THEN the helmet rebuilding scene. That was just spot on, my dude! I don't recall this from Hal9000's edit, so if this was you - just f-in brilliant.
7. Everything on that vodoo-planet (where they meet Lando) lost all urgency and flow for me in Hal9000's cut, but somehow - with your flashbacks, musical alterations and limited Lando awkwardness - made it flow brilliantly. I can't say what you've cut - because I honestly don't remember, but it works brilliantly. It all fitted like a glove. Don't remove or prolong anything by a second.
8. In the cave, after Rey heals the snake, I would've added the line "Luke" instead of "You would've done the same" when Rey is talking to BB-8. This would flow as if Rey would mention Luke's name as to why she knows about this force healing. Would also strengthen Rey's time with Luke on Ach-To and the importance to their relationship. It just crossed my mind. Also, the line "You would've done the same" serves no purpose, so it would be no loss at all.
9. Keep Chewie DEAD! I don't know if it's plausible through cropping and VFX work, but the loss of Chewie is such a cop-out upon his return - AND - it would make the conflic of good vs dark within Rey into a greater turmoil for her to deal with it. And when she eventually resists the darkness, she is doing it for both herself AND chewie - creating an even more powerful ending to her character arc in a true, dark Star Wars spirit. Also, Chewie is felt so strong in the first 30 minutes of the film that his demise would serve as a heartfelt farewell that would carry the emotional weight of the rest of the film. The death of Chewie would also be another reason for Ren's return to the good side, adding even more turmoil and regret; having now indirectly AND directly been involved in all OT character deaths. This would add to his tipping point.
Sidenote suggestion: In the scene on "Poe's old planet" where Ren's Star Destroyer show up and Rey feel Chewie and this is why they fly directly to the ship rather than escape, you will simply need to remove mentions of Chewie and just have them fly there. I would just summarize this as they are done fleeing, and Rey is taking the fight to Ren. This approach works imo, with Rey and her companions being pissed af about Chewie's death, and Rey needing to find the Sith artifact.
10. Keep C-3P0's memory loss permanent. This is also one of those cop-outs that i lotahe. A final chapter should be all about high stakes and heartfelt moments (that this film originally has none of, but that you've already added stakes and moments to). Keep the stakes high! First Chewie, now C-3P0. If this was my first time watching - and all this happened, I would be feeling shit scared for the new characters at this point. Like the moment minutes later when Poe gets shot - with Chewie's "death" being more prominent and a fact, this would be scary. Good choice on keeping C-3P0's memory loss!
11. Remove Poe's flame (Zaro?) after the Babo Frikk (tiny alien) and 3P0 talk about his memory loss and the stakes are presented. She no longer serves no purpose, and the film suffers for it. She is interesting enough as a character and as a backstory to Poe whilst she is serving the plot, but the rooftop scene with her and Poe is the one and only time in the first 45 minutes of this edit I got bored and uninterested. Just my opinion of course. This scene also serves no purpose as a "breather" in-between a very intense start to the film, because the two previous scenes (the falcon & then this new planet with Poe's flame) all work to this purpose. Also, the re-use of Anakin's turmoil soundtrack from EP II should not be in this scene (I know this is from original film/Hal 9000).
12. I read you didn't like Hux being the spy, but I have to say it works in your edit and I am glad you kept it. It adds another dimension to Hux, and it also breaks the bad guy stereotype we are accustomed to in Star Wars and therefore also serves as a welcome twist. His death right after is bad though but there is nothing you can do about that one.
13. The soundtrack in Ren and Rey's final duel is lackluster compared to all the other insanely brilliant additions added to the edit, and perhaps remixing Ren's theme + the one in the duel + the one used when Finn is fighting the stormtrooper in TFA (because that one has a memorable, haunting theme to it) could be an idea.
14. The second act works intensely well, and I found it thrilling, emotional and suspenseful.
Sidenote: The music used when the Commander is talking to Palpatine on the Star Destroyer, and him speaking the line "I will serve you like in the old wars" (or something like that) worked brilliantly.
15. I don't know if you've changed much, but I felt less awkward about Kylo Ren's turn to the light side now than I did previous.
16. Luke grabbing Rey's saber with the music was heartfelt. I don't know if that was you or Hal or the original, but beautiful.
17. The scene with Rey and Luke overall felt more emotional and less awkward. Again, might be because this is the second time I've watched the film - but i have a feeling you had something to do about this.
18. The moment with the X-wing being floated to Yoda's theme worked for me this time around, because of your increased emotional weight to the film's tone. It no longer felt like stupid fan service. The following scene with Poe and Lando also worked brilliantly due to this. I felt something.
19. The third act didn't become interesting to me before Palpatine opens the roof doors, and shows Rey the battle of good vs evil ensuing above her to the beautiful soundtrack underneath. Everything before, battle-wise, feels like eye candy without emotional resonance.
20. The beautiful memory beats whilst Rey is nearly fainting on the cold floor was beautiful.
21. "IM JEDI!" 100+++ points. Just beautiful. Rey became a Jedi - and she earned it far more than the original film came close to. Not "Im all the Jedi" or "look, all your memorable Jedi are saving her to swelling background music". No - Rey is the main character, and Rey earns her moment.
22. Leia's body disappearing with Ren's was beautiful.
23. The ending! Oh, the ending!

7/10. Two ratings up, no doubt. This movie went from having no identity, to having one - and it's all because of faneditors.

If this isn't what it's all about, then tell us all to pack our things and find a new hobby.

Brilliant! :D

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@Andreas Kill off Chewie for real and keep Threepio's memory erasure permanent? I like what you're thinking! 👍
I mentioned to Andreas that though I think that may be possible and interesting, it's a bit beyond the scope of this project. Changing Leia's death and removing a huge plot point without it feeling too "fanedity" is pretty tough, changing two other major plot beats would probably topple the whole thing.

I'm sure someone else will do it eventually, and probably very well!

Top Bottom