• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Blade Runner: The Penultimate Cut (TM2YC)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks. I have DVDarchitect and have made a DVD with it before, though I'm not sure if my version supports blu-ray. I'll have to check.

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fancy a blu-ray quality video bitrate wise, as i play them from my NAS or sticks. A menu isn’t that much important for me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fancy a blu-ray quality video bitrate wise, as i play them from my NAS or sticks. A menu isn’t that much important for me.

I seem to get better results (and lower filesizes) with dedicated video compression tools and containers, than with blu-ray authoring software. So the quality of the existing 1080p file would be the same, or better than a blu-ray.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I seem to get better results (and lower filesizes) with dedicated video compression tools and containers, than with blu-ray authoring software. So the quality of the existing 1080p file would be the same, or better than a blu-ray.
Do you have any tips in achieving lower file sizes but keeping the quality as above ...what tools and settings?. I am a physical media collector but I have recently set up a PLEX server and want to rip some of my non essential bluray/DVD collection but am worried i'll lose a lot of quality but ultimately i want to maintain drive space as i have a big collection.

Also for something like BR Penultimate i would love a bluray as it replaces the disc i have on my shelf and is my go to version. Well i say that but it will sit next to my 5 Disc BR set. I have your Rogue One, Man of Steel bluray's on my shelf and intend to make physical BR's of your Star Trek into Darkness, BR 2049 and Amadeus edits in the future. So yes, when an edit is my go to version i like to have a bluray.

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you have any tips in achieving lower file sizes but keeping the quality as above ...what tools and settings?. I am a physical media collector but I have recently set up a PLEX server and want to rip some of my non essential bluray/DVD collection but am worried i'll lose a lot of quality but ultimately i want to maintain drive space as i have a big collection.
An easy tool would be probably „handbrake“. A advanced tool with an GUI i would recommend is „StaxRip“ as you have tons of options to define video quality. Both are well documented. In StaxRip you can righ-click on a option and you’re able to access the help or online wiki directly for this specific option.
In my experience an CRF value from 16-18 and the preset „slow“ with x265 (software encode not hardware) is sufficient enough that the majority of the people can’t spot any difference between a encode and a blu-ray. The SVT-AV1 codec is even more efficient, but for now the support via GUI software is limited and definitely for advanced users.

As always encoding depends also heavily on the source for which options you‘ll enable. How dark, bright is the source, How much grain etc.

Last edited:

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today I was searching for Blade Runner fan edits, and came across this thread. The comparison videos look absolutely fantastic! When I first saw the FC version of the film, I was puzzled as to why there was a teal tint added. Your edit restores the original colours -- it looks like what I saw on VHS years ago (pre-Director's Cut version).
I will send you a PM, as I'd love to see your edit!

MadAsKiwi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started looking into early cuts of Blade Runner, and many people kept referring to The Penultimate Cut. I look forward to seeing this

livingrealm

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started looking for cuts that had the same colors as the final cut. I saw a lot of people mention this cut. Looking at the comparisons with FC and the PC I was amazed at how good it looked.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhereIsTheMilkman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After stumbling upon the concept of fan edits just recently, I have heard that this is the best cut of Blade Runner out there. I look forward to watching this!

michiel

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never understood the overly tealed Final Cut. It's sharp as hell, especially the 4K HDR version is amazing. But can't get used to the new color layout. Very curious about this fanedit. Will send a PM. :)

AJAVI83

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hi. I'm Javi, from Spain. I've just found out the existence of this cut, checked the samples in youtube and they look absolutely amazing. Thanks! It is possible to contact, TM2YC, the author?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hi. I'm Javi, from Spain. I've just found out the existence of this cut, checked the samples in youtube and they look absolutely amazing. Thanks! It is possible to contact, TM2YC, the author?
Welcome! All you ha e to do is click on on a users name and then select "start conversation" and you'll be taken to a private message window where you can request the edit. Happy viewing!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I forgot to mention that Sunday was the 42 year anniversary of the unicorn dream sequence being shot for Blade Runner (15th October 1981):

53246909978_0b5823aff7_b.jpg

Top Bottom