• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

ANDREAS presents: STAR WARS - Episode I - The Ancient Lore [TPM Remade]

NCfanboy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
Thank you for your kind words and understanding, guys. 

If everyone had this line of thought and support for what a director and his actors do and did - whether they liked it or not; but expressed their opinion with care, tact and perhaps a sprinkle of humor - damn, what a world.

But unfortunately most Star Wars fans today are filled with hatred (i feel everything is a pun) and lack of respect due to the backlash after TLJ and Solo, which is causing major damage to the community. As an example, I've received several PMs over at OriginalTrilogy where (i suppose young and immature teenagers) applaude me for fixing the garbage that is TPM, that they hope George Lucas sees this so he can understand proper filmmaking (come on, dude), that Jar-Jar Binks actor should never act again, and even people mocking myself for even trying to "fix" the film. Haha, when thinking about it - it's a massacre over there.

But I don't want to end this project on a negative note, nor this post - so V2 will come, but just give people some time to calm down and some passion to come back, and we'll all be better of.

Hey, I can't send any private messages to you.

baldie2k12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NCfanboy said:
Andreas said:

If everyone had this line of thought and support for what a director and his actors do and did - whether they liked it or not; but expressed their opinion with care, tact and perhaps a sprinkle of humor - damn, what a world.

But unfortunately most Star Wars fans today are filled with hatred (i feel everything is a pun) and lack of respect due to the backlash after TLJ and Solo, which is causing major damage to the community. As an example, I've received several PMs over at OriginalTrilogy where (i suppose young and immature teenagers) applaude me for fixing the garbage that is TPM, that they hope George Lucas sees this so he can understand proper filmmaking (come on, dude), that Jar-Jar Binks actor should never act again, and even people mocking myself for even trying to "fix" the film. Haha, when thinking about it - it's a massacre over there.

But I don't want to end this project on a negative note, nor this post - so V2 will come, but just give people some time to calm down and some passion to come back, and we'll all be better of.

He appears to have reached his limit of received messages. I'd love to see it too,but cant message him either.Hopefully he will see this and maybe message us instead.....

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
baldie2k12 said:
NCfanboy said:
Andreas said:

He appears to have reached his limit of received messages. I'd love to see it too,but cant message him either.Hopefully he will see this and maybe message us instead.....

@"NCfanboy" and @"baldie2k12", he is pretty active on OriginalTrilogy.com, I’ve had success messaging him there.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Andreas" , I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full. So instead a post here, which neatly doubles as a bump for your Ancient Lore thread.

My kids want to re-watch Phantom Menace, and I'd love to watch your Ancient Lore with them (they haven't seen your edit yet).

Have you made any updates since I made the subtitles for it in 2018? If yes, please PM me.
If not, I understand and I hope you will find back that elusive combination of time and enthusiasm to revisit an old edit.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So The Ancient Lore V2 (Improved Version) has commenced work.

SO, LET’S DIVE INTO THE CHANGES:​

• A new and improved source (Downscaled 4k footage (1080p) for more detail)
  • A new color grade that better suit the Prequel Trilogy, and that utilizes keyframe grading to better support outdated CGI backgrounds).
  • Fixed and fixing many reported errors (freezed frames, grading issues, audio transitions and more)
  • NEW dialogue for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan through the use of AI.
  • Restructured the musical structure of the film. Many people enjoyed new bits of soundtrack and foreshadowing, some hated it. Removed plenty of instances of the new Maul theme (although it still is present in a more subtle way), removed the “Falcon Theme” in all instances except for the first time we see R2-D2 and he fixes the Royal Ship, removed and replaced instances of new soundmixing with the film’s original) and more. The ONLY soundtrack that I received some complains on that I am seriously considering leaving in, is the “Across the Stars” theme for Anakin and his mother (and Padme in EP II). It is such a beautiful theme that I always envision it as Anakin’s “Love Theme” for both his mother and his future wife. It being utilized for one movie as a sort of “I have butterflies in my stomach” theme for Anakin I think utterly diminishes the soundtracks power and effect on the audience, and is a waste for the overall impact it could have on the Prequel Trilogy.
  • Fixed new CGI added for The Ancient Lore. This including for instance Sidious hologram on Tattooine, some background details have been refined and improved, and of course re-graded certain scenes to a much better effect that both fit the film more as well as better mask stand-out effects in the background.
  • Improved pacing (by actually adding a little bit more footage to the Naboo Underwater scenes), and trying to go for better suspense as well as character building and humour.
  • Improved Dooku hologram.
  • Improved first act and third act pacing.
  • Reinstated some lines I have found to better fit in the “new Star Wars” and that might actually serve a purpose.
I am also in a bit of a pickle if I should go back to the original film structure for an easier-to-follow and adapt-to approach to the remaking of this film, in the sense that the only thing that would be remade are story points and therefore also some narrative, rather than the film structure.

Back in the day some people meant I should stick to the new structure (opening space battle, Naboo, then Tatooine, then Coruscant, then Trade Federation ship and on) as it would make my edit a more unique experience, and some meant if i were to stick to the original structure but with my new story the overall edit would be easier on the eye and therefore also easier to follow.

It is a pickle to be sure, and I would like to hear opinions.

Also, I did suggest on OT.com to create a "Canon Cut" down the line - if V2 doesn't exhaust my editing soul.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NEW DIALOGUE EXAMPLE:

I am simply trying to create better conversations and some humour between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. I think the first portion works very well (up until “is going to be the death of me”), and the latter about 80%.

I’m trying to achieve a few things through this dialogue:

• Obi-Wan is inpatient and a little whiny, much like most Padawans are (Anakin will be). But with decent humour and irony.
  • A little gab at the original film premise (diplomatic mission)
  • Obi-Wan hating the planet, that he will once end up living on
  • Qui-Gon trying to keep his Padawan’s mind focused on the Force and the ways of the Jedi.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for making V2! I'll be happy to preview and update the subtitles. (y)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to fix the canon-breaking "Yoda never trained Obi-Wan" problem with a piece of dialogue, and after spending some hours on this line with a tricky AI and some post-render tweaking I am curious as to how well this could work. Take a listen:

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It sounds close enough but is present, especially when Qui-Gon says „padawan“, the „w“ sounds metallic.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I almost didn't notice it. What made the word stand out as a "hey, did this get edited?" moment, was the fact that Qui-Gon says "padawan" again in the next line. Twice in such short succession doesn't flow smoothly.

My suggestion is to replace the second "padawan" with "Obi-wan". It'll make Qui-Gon's lines sound more natural and it helps reduce the focus on the first "padawan".

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I almost didn't notice it. What made the word stand out as a "hey, did this get edited?" moment, was the fact that Qui-Gon says "padawan" again in the next line. Twice in such short succession doesn't flow smoothly.

My suggestion is to replace the second "padawan" with "Obi-wan". It'll make Qui-Gon's lines sound more natural and it helps reduce the focus on the first "padawan".
Great. I’ll get on it.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Line flow way better after the removal of the second Padawan. Great suggestion, lapis.

And here is NABOO AFTERMATH (BETA):

https://streamable.com/ha8ja8

It needs more work.

I will probably add some dead battledroids, but I wonder if any dead civilianz would be too harsh?

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Line flow way better after the removal of the second Padawan. Great suggestion, lapis.

And here is NABOO AFTERMATH (BETA):

https://streamable.com/ha8ja8

It needs more work.

I will probably add some dead battledroids, but I wonder if any dead civilianz would be too harsh?
Great to see you‘ll do something with naboo. Regarding the civilians, i really don’t know to be honest. Would absolutely love it, though.

Phase3

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey mate,

I've just started reading through this thread, and had a quick question (apologies if this has been asked before - I have a lot to catch up on in this thread!): will you be keeping, or removing midichlorians and "the prophecy" from your edit?

Cheers!

Top Bottom