• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Malthus - A Year In Editing.

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree to preview edits and then don't get around to it
I did this to @spence for his MI2 edit and I still feel bad. But luckily I am watching it this week to continue my Wooathon I’m doing, so I’ll leave him a review. Very excited.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today for sure, I swear. (don't hold me to that)
I am, as they say, down with the sickness. "Today for sure" ended up meaning laying in bed thinking about wanting to watch it whilst being unable to get up and sit at my computer to actually do so. The alternative is watching it on my phone, which I started doing, but for whatever reason my phone made it into more of a hassle than it needs to be.
So of course, it's up to you whether you want to let someone else preview it, just roll with what you have, or wait for me to get my shit together. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I swear I had the best intentions.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's okay @Jrzag42 these things happen. If you do watch it your feedback will be gratefully accepted but there's no pressure.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night I watched one and a half Matrix films.

The original movie hold's up surprisingly well, aside a few somewhat dated effects. it simply works. Reloaded however is an odd one. I definitely don't dislike it overall. It does, however, have a lot of content I dislike intently (Zion rave, Merovingian cake) and other sequences that I find largely superfluous (Burly brawl, lots of the zion sequences) anyway long story short I grabbed the trilogy boxset on Blu-ray for £10 and it's arriving today so I'm looking forward to tinkering with both Reloaded and Revolutions and crafting a single 2 in 1 sequel.

I'm thinking of calling it:

Polish_20220109_063007961.jpg

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 9:

What a day! Soo all my files for my The Wolf Man edit were lost and so the project needs to be rebuilt from scratch but that has not deterred me. I reprocessed all the files and have got my notes so it will live again.

Meanwhile my Matrix trilogy boxset arrived so I processed Reloaded and took a bit of time to some colour grade tests

Before:
unknown.png

After:
unknown.png

And a comparison .gif
20220109_181030.gif

Mine is the less green one...

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The color correction needs of the Matrix are so intense that I've been sitting on that edit for years.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 10:

Today I spent three hours wrestling with a stubborn MKV. file that AVIDEMUX refused to process. Thanks to @ChainsawAsh I was reminded of tsMuxer which saved the day. It did however produce a audio sync issue which I eventually resolved and could finally start tinkering with...

The Matrix: Reloaded

Here's what I ended up doing today...

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 11:

My NLE of choice has received an update and for some reason now when I export my timeline it crashes at the last second. I've experimented with a variety of things and I am currently on my 5th full encode of the day, hoping against hope that it'll work. Weirdly, it'll export sections if the timeline just fine but it won't do the who sequence. Utterly baffling. I've restarted my computer, reinstalled the software and in trying a new project time line. Finger's crossed. What a horribly frustrating day.

Update: It successfully encoded the other project sooo either it's an issue with the specific project or its files or it was because I had to restart my computer. A least Valerian will definitely be released in February 👌

Update 2: Two more encodes later and it absolutely is a problem with a specific project not the software itself. So the good news is I don't need to learn a new NLE from scratch but the bad news is I might need to ditch an edit that was largely complete.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 10:

Today I spent three hours wrestling with a stubborn MKV. file that AVIDEMUX refused to process. Thanks to @ChainsawAsh I was reminded of tsMuxer which saved the day. It did however produce a audio sync issue which I eventually resolved and could finally start tinkering with...

The Matrix: Reloaded

Here's what I ended up doing today...

I got a good chuckle out of that, so simple to side-step all the time-waster scenes.

robulon

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got a good chuckle out of that, so simple to side-step all the time-waster scenes.
So simple but really effective! I didn't even realise the bathroom scene had gone until I thought about it after watching 😄

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 12:

Success!!!

Oh sweet success. So after yesterday's frustrations I bit the bullet* and deleted my Matrix project only to immediately restart it. I had to check it wasn't the file at fault so I made some arbitrary cuts and edits to produce a facsimile of a completed project. I clicked export and crossed everything that I was born with and lo and behold the timeline exported perfectly! So I spent the day rebuilding my Matrix edit...

unknown.png

And here she is, the fruits of my labor for the past 72 hours. A trimmed down The Matrix: Reloaded that clocks in at 1:27. There minor trims to be made before I begin looking over Revolutions but after a shakey start I'm happy to say that the Rebellion is absolutely going to be televised.

*Or should that be bullet-time

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh come on, now Lightworks is exporting my files with incomplete audio.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

This update has seriously undermined my faith in this product. so much so that I just started to download Davinci Resolve. Is 2022 the year I learn how to use a new NLE?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I clicked export and crossed everything that I was born with
👀
This update has seriously undermined my faith in this product. so much so that I just started to download Davinci Resolve. Is 2022 the year I learn how to use a new NLE?
Vegas ;)

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@DigModiFicaTion I tried Vegas before but it was very unstable and would crash harder than me after two coffees.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh come on, now Lightworks is exporting my files with incomplete audio.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Well, I can say that my experience with Resolve has been really good. I've been using the Resolve 17 beta off and on for my little projects since finding out about it here shortly after joining the forum. I've stopped getting Pinnacle updates as I now feel those aren't worth it compared to what Resolve offers.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 13:

While for some 13 is an unlucky number for me it was pretty good actually. I processed Revolutions and did some export tests on my Matrix edit and now I'm previewing my Valerian edit while getting ever so slightly SQUIFFY, why? Well, because I honestly didn't think I'd ever release this edit but thanks to some dedicated Fanedit.org who members I was kept motivated to complete it. Hats off to @Scar. They went above and beyond in terms of feedback and input and ultimately are instrumental in this edit getting this edit off the ground.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 14:

Last night's watch of Valerian was a lot of fun and for the most I was feth happy especially with the picture quality however four transitions sounded extremely rough. On investigation the cross-fades on four transitions along with multiple frames had vanished. It would seem the Lightworks update has cause more unforseen errors. I addressed these issues and will export this again once I get feedback from my two previewers. After Valerian I gave The Matrix a quick passes and manage to make my initial cuts to Revolutions. Not my most productive day but I did get SQUIFFY last night so I was feeling somewhat fragile.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 15:

I'm having a lovely lazy Saturday. I started the day by rewatching Encanto which is just a joy to watch I went for a walk in the Peak District. Editing wise I made a few cuts to the Revolutions part of my Matrix Fanmix and exported and uploaded a pair of samples showing off some new transitions. I also watched the pilot of Izetta: The White Witch and made some notes with a view to converting the show into a movie at some point, maybe, one day. I'll be doing the same with Cowboy Bebop too so if there's time I'll stick on the first disc kf that later.

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Day 16:

My lightest day so far in terms of actual editing but a productive one none the less. I designed an approach for tackling The Matrix: Revolutions elements of Matrix fannix. Work will begin in earnest on that tomorrow. I also developed the idea for a The Matrix: Resurrections/John Wick Fanmix entitled: John's not OK

Last edited:
Top Bottom