• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit [M4 Book Edit 2021] [4 Hours]

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you please dm me a copy of this edit? I'd love to add it to my google drive collection.
Welcome. Please take a moment to read our rules and guidelines (found in my signature and at the top of each page). We do not allow requests of edits outside of the Trades and Requests forum (check that forum for requesting guidelines). Requesta should be made via PMs to editors. Thanks!

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded the dual blu-ray version of this edit from M4’s blog site for the edit, and gave it a watch after a three-day marathon of the The Hobbit Extended Editions. I can confidently say without a single doubt that this will be my definitive experience from now on. Everything about this edit is solid and the project overview included on the physical release is a great feature!

I suggest people give M4’s book cut a watch at least once, and you won’t be disappointed.

Last edited:

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I downloaded the dual blu-ray version of this edit from M4’s blog site for the edit, and gave it a watch after a three-day marathon of the The Hobbit Extended Editions. I can confidently say without a single doubt that this will be my definitive experience for now on. Everything about this edit is solid and the project overview included on the physical release is a great!
Thank you so much! Glad you were able to get the ISOs. They're huge files, but it really captures an authentic experience of this edit, imitating as if it were a real movie (plus all the special features are cool to have).
I suggest people give M4’s book cut at least once, and you won’t be disappointed.
Also great to hear that you agreed with many of my editing decisions; if any of you reading this check my edit out, you may not agree with every single decision, but as @kidjupiter92 pointed out, I do give a detailed insight into why/how I did all my edits in the project overview video & audio commentary, I didn't just cut things for the sake of it without a lot of thought. But it really comes down to personal preference for the viewer I suppose, if you read all 5 of my editing goals and agree - then it's definitely worth checking out.

And thank you for checking out the features, they were something I added for fun but didn't know if anyone would watch them. I may not be the best at sounding professional, but it really shows how the transformation from 8 to 4 hours was made and the attention given to the source material.

Last edited:

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
M4, I've downloaded this edit and am looking forward to it. I never watched the Hobbit films so this will be a perfect way to be introduced.

Reactions: M4_

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Burned a couple of discs for this. Took a while and a replacement HD for my long suffering laptop, but it was well worth it. A strong reccommendation to anyone considering giving this a watch.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
M4, I've downloaded this edit and am looking forward to it. I never watched the Hobbit films so this will be a perfect way to be introduced.
Burned a couple of discs for this. Took a while and a replacement HD for my long suffering laptop, but it was well worth it. A strong reccommendation to anyone considering giving this a watch.
Thank you guys for the support!

Also, while I'm here, these are all the new art renders by Eric:

[Artwork redacted]

Interesting that the bottom one doesn't look as good in a Blu-ray case because of the top border, or maybe that's just me! I really like the extended LOTR DVD set which had custom packaging with a similar design and so I tried to model that, but with just a normal case you can't cover the full front.

Last edited:

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thats a great cover completely vintage and unlike anyone else's.
Thanks! Yeah I think it looks really cool too.

As I wait in the approval process I'll see if there are any small tweaks I wanna make, but other than that I think I'm happy with them all and definitely gonna 'officially' release all 4 versions with my edit - the viewer gets to choose. I'll have to pick a main one though, for a potential IFDB listing, which I might modify to have a version saying "The m4 book edit" somewhere, maybe replacing "extended edition," so it's easier to identify which Hobbit edit it is.

Stromboli Bones

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey M4! First off, I agree with @ArtisDead , I like the second one the best. The Tolkein doodle of Smaug works really well where you have it, and nobody else has used it that I've seen. Originality is super important with things like this.

Second, I sort of skimmed your edit sometime last year, and then I gave it a real watch just a few weeks ago with your commentary! Your edit is one of the best, no question.

(Side note: I watched the book cut I think)

Your removal of Thorin's scars is jaw dropping and ingenious. Your Smaug color correction is fantastic. Your rework of the intro, removing Balin's mention of the Black Arrow, reversing and moving the shot of Bilbo peeking around the corner in Thranduil's house, trimming Gandalf mentioning the One Ring to Bilbo are all phenomenal changes. Your visual and audible editing is flawless. Your tone is much closer to the spirit of the book than the originals, and I really like your color correction and film grain.

Everything you've done here is exemplary, and the only critiques I have are personal preference and nitpicky; I don't feel the need to address them. Take one glance at my own cutlist and it should be obvious to everyone how highly I regard your edit. Really strong work here M4, let me know when your edit gets approved, there's a 10/10 coming your way.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey M4! First off, I agree with @ArtisDead , I like the second one the best. The Tolkein doodle of Smaug works really well where you have it, and nobody else has used it that I've seen. Originality is super important with things like this.

Second, I sort of skimmed your edit sometime last year, and then I gave it a real watch just a few weeks ago with your commentary! Your edit is one of the best, no question.
That's awesome you checked out the commentary, thank you! Was my first time doing one, I feel like to most people it might be kind of dull, but to another Hobbit editor I'm sure you could relate to some of the things I was talking about.
Your visual and audible editing is flawless. Your tone is much closer to the spirit of the book than the originals
This right here is exactly what I was going for and that means a lot for you to acknowledge the editing/goals. One of my main philosophies with this project was: Viewers may disagree on what I cut, but at least they'll understand why (spirit of the book) and at least they (probably) won't notice any weird cuts. One thing with Hobbit edits is that you can't please everyone, which is evident on how many edits there are, but one thing you can do is make sure that the technical editing is as seamless as possible.
and the only critiques I have are personal preference and nitpicky; I don't feel the need to address them.
And I totally understand that, in fact, it makes perfect sense because you've made your own version! We'll certainly disagree on some personal preference here and there.

Anyways, if my edit's approved I'll definitely drop you a comment on your thread and give my thoughts on your project as well. Seriously, thank you so much for all the kind words.

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have the top artwork loaded into Plex. They are all beautifullly done.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is awesome that this edit finally got approved. I have always been amazed that it wasn't already in our database. Humongous shoutout to the one and only InfoDroid for making that finally happen! Talk about coming back with a bang! Now where is that Titanic edit that everyone is raving about elsewhere? Cough it up, bud!

Anyways, if my edit's approved I'll definitely drop you a comment on your thread and give my thoughts on your project as well. Seriously, thank you so much for all the kind words.
Looks like someone owes someone else a review? 😁

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They will have it up by Sunday night but likely here real soon if M4 got all the kinks worked out.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, a bit late of a late update but my project has been approved (as of early today)! 😁 Wanted to write a little message here. First off, thank you to everyone for the support, and all those who helped me to get to where I am. You will all be mentioned on the IFDb listing, which I'm being told is going to be up on Sunday night!

This project was my first fan edit, which I started from scratch a bit over 2 years ago. After countless updates and revisions it's safe to say it's finally going to be done, as this approval was my final goal. It's already a bit sad to have to be finished and not get to keep working on it lol - I'll miss that messy yet beautiful timeline which I spent so much time on. Anyways, I've shared some of this stuff below before, but for anyone new seeing this thread, here are some quick previews of different aspects of the project:

New VFX, never before seen rendition of a de-golded Smaug, and more

Previews of scenes here

Releases
82r4waN.png

VZkUC2n.png

Feel free to PM if you have any questions about the edit

Top Bottom