• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Art of Fanediting - A series by Last Survivor

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some of you may be aware that I've made a few videos under the title "The Art of Fanediting", during the editing process when working on some of my edits. I thought it might be a good idea to have them all in one place, in the hope that some people just starting out may find them insightful, or even for experienced editors you may find them entertaining... here's all the entries in the series thus far, going from the newest to the oldest.

The original intent of the series is to bring the viewer into the fanediting process, often to showcase the challenges of sound replacement work.

Episode 9 - Halloween - The Night of the Boogeyman - Part II

Episode 8 - Halloween - The Night of the Boogeyman

Episode 7 - Jaws II - The Amity Horror

Episode 6 - Moonraker - The LS Cut

Episode 5 - Phase IV - Evolution Cut

Episode 4 - The Night of Samhain Part II

Episode 3 - The Night of Samhain Part 1

Episode 2 - Omen Revelations

Episode 1 - Halloween - A Portrait of Terror

Last edited:

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Some of you may be aware that I've made a few videos under the title "The Art of Fanediting", during the editing process when working on some of my edits.  I thought it might be a good idea to have them all in one place, in the hope that some people just starting out may find them insightful, or even for experienced editors you may find them entertaining... here's all the entries in the series thus far, going from the newest to the oldest.

Episode 1 - Halloween - A Portrait of Terror

I don't know why but @"LastSurvivor" always reminds me of my Film Studies teacher.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Some of you may be aware that I've made a few videos under the title "The Art of Fanediting", during the editing process when working on some of my edits.  I thought it might be a good idea to have them all in one place, in the hope that some people just starting out may find them insightful, or even for experienced editors you may find them entertaining... here's all the entries in the series thus far, going from the newest to the oldest.

The original intent of the series is to bring the viewer into the fanediting process, often to showcase the challenges of sound replacement work.  

Episode 5 - Phase IV - Evolution Cut
Episode 4 - The Night of Samhain Part II
Episode 3 - The Night of Samhain Part 1
Episode 2 - Omen Revelations
Episode 1 - Halloween - A Portrait of Terror

This is awesome... Thank you for sharing!

CourtlyHades296

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would love a video on HAL's Labyrinth of Evil ending. This one change HAL did was what got me into fanedits just before TFA came out.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just updated this thread, added my latest vid in this series, on Moonraker - The LS Cut.  See the first post in this thread to watch it.  Thanks and enjoy :)

gmatias

Reaction score
Trophy Points
These videos have been fantastic; a great resource to help visualize things I see mentioned in other places. Thanks for putting these together and hopefully there's a Jaws episode coming soon!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
These videos have been fantastic; a great resource to help visualize things I see mentioned in other places. Thanks for putting these together and hopefully there's a Jaws episode coming soon!
Thanks! Really glad that other people find them helpful. Yep, I do intend to record an episode on Jaws II The Amity Horror soon ;)

You use VEGAS Pro 16.0 to work on your edits, LS? Do you plan on moving up to 18.0 soon? :)

I would love to upgrade to Vegas 19.0 actually, but money is a bit tight right now, so it will have to wait. I see there's some very cool looking new features on 19, so defo want to upgrade at some point.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! Really glad that other people find them helpful. Yep, I do intend to record an episode on Jaws II The Amity Horror soon ;)

I would love to upgrade to Vegas 19.0 actually, but money is a bit tight right now, so it will have to wait. I see there's some very cool looking new features on 19, so defo want to upgrade at some point.
See that you do. As someone who hasn't watched a single one of your edits in full yet, it'll be interesting to see how you step up your game in fanediting. May I ask, what is your preferred method of ripping Blu-rays and prepping them for editing on VEGAS Pro? :)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
See that you do. As someone who hasn't watched a single one of your edits in full yet, it'll be interesting to see how you step up your game in fanediting. May I ask, what is your preferred method of ripping Blu-rays and prepping them for editing on VEGAS Pro? :)

Hopefully by saying you haven't yet seen one of my edits in full, doesn't mean that you've seen about 20 minutes and then thought, "god that's awful" and just quit :D

I use DVD FAB to rip the blu ray, and I then convert it to an MP4 to use in Vegas.

To be honest, I don't really think upgrading to the latest version of Vegas will make me step up my game in terms of editing itself. I've upped my game over the years since I started 11 years ago by listening to and learning from other excellent faneditors, and I'm always looking to improve with every edit I do. However, whether it's Vegas 16 or 19... I'm still the same editor ;)

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopefully by saying you haven't yet seen one of my edits in full, doesn't mean that you've seen about 20 minutes and then thought, "god that's awful" and just quit :D

I use DVD FAB to rip the blu ray, and I then convert it to an MP4 to use in Vegas.

To be honest, I don't really think upgrading to the latest version of Vegas will make me step up my game in terms of editing itself. I've upped my game over the years since I started 11 years ago by listening to and learning from other excellent faneditors, and I'm always looking to improve with every edit I do. However, whether it's Vegas 16 or 19... I'm still the same editor ;)
Hah. Good point. 😆

What program would you recommend for .mp4 conversion to ensure no quality is lost? :)

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone whose kryptonite is sound editing, I just want to give out a big thank you for these videos! Maybe this has already been covered (Since I'm still going through these videos), but have you dealt with audio cross-dissolves before, and if so, do you have any tips to make them more seamless?

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone whose kryptonite is sound editing, I just want to give out a big thank you for these videos! Maybe this has already been covered (Since I'm still going through these videos), but have you dealt with audio cross-dissolves before, and if so, do you have any tips to make them more seamless?
Glad you're enjoying the series @Eyepainter . Sorry for very late reply, but I've been taking a break from editing as of late, but I'm back in the game now.

Audio cross-dissolves are really my first port of call when trying to bridge any scene together - i.e. making a new cut and trying to make the audio as smooth as possible from one scene to the next. Sometimes it works a charm, but it really depends on what you have to contend with... if there's two different pieces of music in each scene, then no amount of cross fading is gonna help... unless you're making a small cut, when you might get away with it.

In terms of making it more seamless? It's really a case of keep experimenting, and listen through headphones if you can, as you will pick everything up by doing that.

Top Bottom