• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spicediver's DUNE gets a legit disc release in Germany?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
David Lynch's DUNE just got an extra features-packed 4k home release in Germany, which includes both official cuts and... wait, what is that it says there about Disc 6???? :eek:

How did this happen, and with the amount of Lynch-related pages I follow why did I just find out about this now? Has @spicediver been working with them, or even properly notified, or is the release from a dubious company?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I checked both Koch's own website and blu-ray.com. Both mention the upcoming release, but no mention about Spicediver's edit.
I don't know your source of schnittberichte.com. Are they reliable?

On an FE point: why is this post awaiting approval? Did you set that flag or did the system do that?

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No idea about the reliability of source, found it in a Facebook comment (hence the question mark in the title). And no, I did not set any flags unless I hit something without realizing it.

MilesTeg81

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Dunefans!

came back hyped from the new movie (amazing!) and just read here about this official(!) fanedit release - awesome! Congratulations @spicediver!!

Disc 6 (avail. in Ultimate-Edition only!) is listed by kochfilms.de simply as "Extended Version 2", but schnittberichte.com seems to have more details:

Disc 5 (Blu-ray):
  • Extended Version 1 (US-TV-Version)
Disc 6 (Blu-ray):
  • Extended Version 2 [Spicediver Cut (Fan Edit in Standard Definition)]

some infos from kochfilms website:
cheers :coffee: & long live the fighters!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats to Spicedriver for having his edit added to this collection. I just tried to order it but unfortunately Koch no longer ship to the UK...The aftermath of Brexit i suppose.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If this is indeed for real, it raises some questions about grey areas. @spicediver does not seem to have been notified. Of course, he does not legally own any of the material, but a company just downloading an edit and selling it makes one wonder if said company is completely legal. Would not be the first case of a company selling Blu-rays of films they did not have the rights to anyway, at least in Europe.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know how spidediver views this but... if a studio tolerates me making a fanedit out of their movie, I'm more than happy for them to make a movie out of my fanedit. I don't think you can complain when somebody uses something you created without your permission, when you were using it without their permission in the first place.

I own one of the Koch-Media Dune blurays already (they've put out about a hundred different editions) and they did a really great job upscaling the TV cut footage to HD. I wonder if they will upscale the spicediver cut in the same way?

Last edited:

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is an interesting philosophical point. On the one hand, I cannot disagree with @TM2YC's point about just being freaking stoked that something I edited then saw an officially sanctioned release, it's like the pinnacle of fanediting success, and the edit was made without expressed consent, even though I truly believe when our rules are followed, fanedits are legally legitimate creations as long as faneditors do not seek profit off of them.
On the other-hand and using that same logic however, fanedits are intense labors to make happen, they are the result of a person (sometimes persons) creative vision and work, and it is questionable that a company can just take that and make profit without at minimum consulting, but possibly at least offering compensation of some kind (even if it's just an agreed upon credit).

I own Dune several times over, I would be tempted to buy this latest set if only to buy that 'official' spicediver version, which would mean that they are gaining profit for his work, without compensating him (not to dissimilar to the fact that studios benefit from fanedits in I often have bought movies I'd never have purchased because I want to see an edit, such as @Wraith 's Split Broken Glass where I'd only ever have owned Unbreakable, but now I'll be ordering the other two films so I can watch his edit. In fact, M, Night has benefited a lot here, I'd never have owned several of his films were it not for fanedits... but that is another story).

I honestly don't know the the right answer or even if there can be one. I know that at the end of the day if the same thing happened to me, I'd just be happy it's getting out there. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just ordered a few days ago The Draughtsman's Contract Blu Ray... (only Spain and Germany released it in HD and the German one is better) from Amazon.de...

They ship to the UK....

Is it on Amazon.de?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is an interesting philosophical point. On the one hand, I cannot disagree with @TM2YC's point about just being freaking stoked that something I edited then saw an officially sanctioned release, it's like the pinnacle of fanediting success, and the edit was made without expressed consent, even though I truly believe when our rules are followed, fanedits are legally legitimate creations as long as faneditors do not seek profit off of them.
On the other-hand and using that same logic however, fanedits are intense labors to make happen, they are the result of a person (sometimes persons) creative vision and work, and it is questionable that a company can just take that and make profit without at minimum consulting, but possibly at least offering compensation of some kind (even if it's just an agreed upon credit).

I own Dune several times over, I would be tempted to buy this latest set if only to buy that 'official' spicediver version, which would mean that they are gaining profit for his work, without compensating him (not to dissimilar to the fact that studios benefit from fanedits in I often have bought movies I'd never have purchased because I want to see an edit, such as @Wraith 's Split Broken Glass where I'd only ever have owned Unbreakable, but now I'll be ordering the other two films so I can watch his edit. In fact, M, Night has benefited a lot here, I'd never have owned several of his films were it not for fanedits... but that is another story).

I honestly don't know the the right answer or even if there can be one. I know that at the end of the day if the same thing happened to me, I'd just be happy it's getting out there. Anything beyond that would be gravy.
be interesting to see if you choose to watch SUG COLD.

HUGE KUDOS to Spicediver for sure!
I tried to order, and it just won't go thru...

Are there any shipping services like MYUS.COM in Europe?

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I own one of the Koch-Media Dune blurays already (they've put out about a hundred different editions) and they did a really great job upscaling the TV cut footage to HD. I wonder if they will upscale the spicediver cut in the same way?
Apparently the disc included is a DVD, so no upscaling, good ol' SD...

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If this is indeed for real, it raises some questions about grey areas. @spicediver does not seem to have been notified. Of course, he does not legally own any of the material, but a company just downloading an edit and selling it makes one wonder if said company is completely legal. Would not be the first case of a company selling Blu-rays of films they did not have the rights to anyway, at least in Europe.
Do we know if the fanedit being released is in fact the exact same fanedit made by Spicediver? Or is it a remake based off Spicediver's edits? Since the studio, with access to the original sound mix and footage, would be able to remake the fanedit better than any fan. Would be lazy of them to just download the one circulating and use that if they can better it by using the raw, unreleased footage. e.g. when Stallone was involved in the recut of Rocky 4, they had access to the original tracks held by the studio, they didn't have to settle with the officially released version as a fan would.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do we know if the fanedit being released is in fact the exact same fanedit made by Spicediver? Or is it a remake based off Spicediver's edits? Since the studio, with access to the original sound mix and footage, would be able to remake the fanedit better than any fan. Would be lazy of them to just download the one circulating and use that if they can better it by using the raw, unreleased footage. e.g. when Stallone was involved in the recut of Rocky 4, they had access to the original tracks held by the studio, they didn't have to settle with the officially released version as a fan would.
I suppose it is the same exact Spicediver file because it's reportedly still SD and they could very well re-do it in HD if they wished.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it on Amazon.de?

I tried to order, and it just won't go thru...

In my experience, you can log into any Amazon site around the world and order stuff direct with your same login but I'm not seeing the super deluxe version listed on amazon.de. The Koch media link does say "exklusiv im Koch Films Shop" though.

Apparently the disc included is a DVD, so no upscaling, good ol' SD...

All the links I've seen say the spicediver disc is a blu-ray but also that it's SD? Could be an upscale of the SD source, could be SD on a blu-ray just to have it in that format, could be it is a DVD and the listings are wrong?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
..or Listing is correct, 5 Blu Rays and 2 DVDs...?
I expect after 30 days or so, it will crop up on Amazon.de and EBAY...

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the links I've seen say the spicediver disc is a blu-ray but also that it's SD? Could be an upscale of the SD source, could be SD on a blu-ray just to have it in that format, could be it is a DVD and the listings are wrong?
I have not seen any specific reference to it being a DVD anywhere, but since it's stated to be SD I assume that's what it is. Putting SD video on a Blu-ray disc seems to me like a waste of resources, since most if not all BD players can read DVDs anyway.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone know if they (Koch) contacted Spicediver?

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This would make, what...the third? official release of a fan edit, if I'm not mistaken, right? There's Raising Cain, there's the Ulysses Cut of Waterworld, and now this (assuming it's real). Are there more?

Ri~Lei

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

Top Bottom