• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How to remove someone from the background?

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you can't manage to remove him, just end the shot 1 second earlier before he comes into frame.

If you trim the portion with Iron Man, you can reverse the shot so you still end on a reveal of Avengers Tower. Not merely on the backside of the Chrysler Building.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe this is useful in some capacity? Granted I know you want to remove something different, but this might be worth looking into and then tinkering with to fit with what you're attempting?

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe this is useful in some capacity? Granted I know you want to remove something different, but this might be worth looking into and then tinkering with to fit with what you're attempting?

Another great idea 😀 Thanks to you and to everyone who's been trying to help me! I give this and lapis molari's idea a shot 😁

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so I have a similar question. I have some shots of a door opening. Very little or no movement in all the shots except for one, and I was hoping to remove the dwarves in them.
Here is an example:

I would like to remove Dwalin from the first two shots. There is also a very similar shot of Fili and Kili when Bilbo opens the door that I would like to remove them from. And finally, I would like to remove Balin from the shot of Balin walking into the house.
What program should I use that would be simple. Is Photoshop the job for this?

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the still shots, you might be able to do that in your NLE. You could try copying the clip to a new track, mask out the night background, move it to cover the space where the dwarf is, and feather it to help it sit with the rest of the background - or if there is a similar shot that shows the doorway without anyone there, even better to use that. Obviously, something like the opening door will require the mask to be adjusted frame by frame to follow the movement. For shots where the camera itself moves, that will be harder to pull off without looking funky.

Alternatively, you could mask out the entire doorway and replace it with a night background from another source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom