• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How to remove someone from the background?

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone, I have been trying to figure out how to remove a person in the background of a scene, I can't seem to figure it out though.
my specific scene is like a shot with iron man from endgame on the side of a building (it's like a panning shot) from the 2012 time travel part. I'm not sure how to do it or if it's even possible (which I assume it is, but I am a newbie 😬) any help would be appreciated!
Cheers 😁

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is technically possible but it requires a good degree of CGI wizardry. One has to create a tracking mask to follow the desired person or element, then put something over it to cover it. I know I can't do it. πŸ˜…

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is technically possible but it requires a good degree of CGI wizardry. One has to create a tracking mask to follow the desired person or element, then put something over it to cover it. I know I can't do it. πŸ˜…
Damn sounds pretty complicated 😬 maybe I should get another similar shot for what I'm trying to accomplish, I don't know where I'd find it though as it would have to be a panning type shot with the avengers tower in the background, but with the damaged "A" from the first film after the battle, not the official blue one from age of ultron and I don't think that really exists apart from the one shot with iron man on the side of the other building 😬 I don't want to use the shot of from the end either where it zooms out from tony and pepper planning and you see the "A" right before the credits because that would be redundant. It is a predicament for sure πŸ˜…

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you one-off want to remove something or someone from the background of a still shot, then that can be done with a static mask without too much trouble. And if there is footage without them in that space as well, that makes it a whole lot easier. But if's a moving shot it's much more time consuming and fiddly.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you one-off want to remove something or someone from the background of a still shot, then that can be done with a static mask without too much trouble. And if there is footage without them in that space as well, that makes it a whole lot easier. But if's a moving shot it's much more time consuming and fiddly.
Yeah it's a moving shot not a still one unfortunately 😬

PaulisDead2221

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try After Effects. There's an AI-powered "Content-Aware Fill" tool.

You simply create the mask over the object you're trying to remove, and AE will generate a fill layer based on the background.

I found great success using it to remove credits/text from shots I needed clean for my It edit as well as a new edit I'm currently working on. It's limitations become apparent as you use it, but its quick effectiveness in many circumstances is extraordinary.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points

You simply create the mask over the object you're trying to remove, and AE will generate a fill layer based on the background.

I found great success using it to remove credits/text from shots I needed clean for my It edit as well as a new edit I'm currently working on. It's limitations become apparent as you use it, but its quick effectiveness in many circumstances is extraordinary.
Thanks man! πŸ˜€ I give it a shot 😊

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points

well I can't figure it out 😬

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel quite dumb actually as it should probably be quite an easy concept to grasp, especially with this tool πŸ₯²

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you get stuck with the video software, you can use Photoshop. Provided the shot isn't too long, and you have at least one frame of the clean background that you can paste over the offending character. That's what I did to remove Moneypenny from my 007 TWINE edit: save 3 seconds as BMP files and tackle them one at a time. It's slow but easy.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you get stuck with the video software, you can use Photoshop. Provided the shot isn't too long, and you have at least one frame of the clean background that you can paste over the offending character. That's what I did to remove Moneypenny from my 007 TWINE edit: save 3 seconds as BMP files and tackle them one at a time. It's slow but easy.
I don't really have a frame without him there though 😬

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
or maybe I do idk 😬 I am noob πŸ˜”

Could you export a sample the scene on question. That would allow various editors to weigh in on how viable the idea is. Content Aware AI could help as could manually masking each frame but without seeing the footage it's hard to make a solid recommendation.

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could you export a sample the scene on question. That would allow various editors to weigh in on how viable the idea is. Content Aware AI could help as could manually masking each frame but without seeing the footage it's hard to make a solid recommendation.
I could try, I should also try to stop making a fool of myself here 😬
Should I put in on vimeo or something?

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're doing fine, you're asking questions in a forum, it's what it's for. I tend to use Vimeo for my samples.
I know I'm just paranoid but thanks πŸ˜€ I am uploading it to vimeo, I'll it put it here soon 😁

Last edited:

Starkillerboss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here you go 😁

I'm attempting to remove iron man from the side of the building

Top Bottom