• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

A New Hope Revisited: Special Edition

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an excellent edit of Episode IV. I like the intro. There are a few things that may have been of concern but I believe the others here have pointed those things out.

It seems there is a never ending line of editors interested in creating Star Wars edits to suit their own creative vision. I am certain that I have watched over 25 edits of this episode alone, let alone all the other episodes. I think at some point it becomes difficult to cut out of the pack with an edit of such a popular movie. One would have to try to be seen while in the shadows of giants of fanediting who came before them.

I believe that your edit deserves some recognition. It does tread some familiar territory, however, at the same time it separates itself with some unique ideas.

Thanks for sharing your art with me. Best of luck with your first edit!

Last edited:

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an excellent edit of Episode IV. I like the intro. There are a few things that may have been of concern but I believe the others here have pointed those things out.

It seems there is a never ending line of editors interested in creating Star Wars edits to suit their own creative vision. I am certain that I have watched over 25 edits of this episode alone, let alone all the other episodes. I think at some point it becomes difficult to cut out of the pack with an edit of such a popular movie. One would have to try to be seen while in the shadows of giants of fanediting who came before them.

I believe that your edit deserves some recognition. It does tread some familiar territory, however, at the same time it separates itself with some unique ideas.

Thanks for sharing your art with me. Best of luck with your first edit!

Thank you so much for that! It's very high praise! It means a lot to hear people say things like this.

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before I ran with The Lat Jedi edit that I am doing and realized that I needed to rework some of that, I went and did an edit of Episode IV. I started out with Adywan’s version of the movie because I like his the best. Then after seeing sc38 reimagined, I wanted to (Like many people I’m sure) splice parts of that into the movie. I cut the bad CG moments and only used what flowed with the original. I didn’t just “drop” it in.
Then I figured, as long as I’m updating that, I could also splice in some Vader that I cut from Rogue One into this. (Yes, I’m working on an edit for that movie too lol but this isn’t where I plan to talk about what I’m doing there). I also have a slightly updated Death Star Explosion.

So the idea is that I update the movie a bit with some newer footage and a few other cuts that I will post later. I know that this will not be to a purist liking. This is just some fun I thought I would have. I like the Adywan approach of keeping the parts of the updated footage that was less offensive. This edit keeps that spirit. This isn’t a whole new movie like I did with The Last Jedi.
When adding the SC 38 footage, I am working on removing some of the PT dialog that was dubbed in. It’s fine as a stand alone fan piece, but it doesn’t work in the actual movie. So I’m re-scoring parts of it.
Are you updated the good cgi to modern day cgi effects?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you updated the good cgi to modern day cgi effects?
I can only do so much with that. I did a blend of the De-specialized edition and the more updated special edition. Did some color correction and added some grain to have it all match up. But I did try and trimmed things where I could too.

jedimasterluke

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can only do so much with that. I did a blend of the De-specialized edition and the more updated special edition. Did some color correction and added some grain to have it all match up. But I did try and trimmed things where I could too.
I understand just wanted to ask if you could do it the reason why is more so in the original trilogy than the prequels which that is another set of films I wish would get the modern cgi treatment but I’m not holding my breath on it as much as that would make my day. but anyway the reason why is the cgi has aged horribly and it would make the films not stick out like a sore thumb as much that’s all. but if you can’t do it or don’t know how to do it or don’t have the tech etc. I understand it’s just a suggestion just do what you can no pressure it’s your project. thank you for the reply keep up the good work.

taurus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi lantern, just some feedback from a viewer for whatever it's worth.

The SC38 integration is really excellent, works well with the trims you've made, and blends essentially seamlessly with the original scenes.

However, I don't think the same can be said for the R1 scene at the beginning of the movie. The initial scene, where we see 3PO and R2, and then a cut to the R1 rebels downloading the Death Star data is jarring and out of place because the lighting, scenery, and even the camera movements are so fundamentally different. We initially have the camera panning back steadily as 3PO and R2 walk through the hallway, and then we cut to a cinema verite-style shaky cam in what seems to be a completely different environment. Tonally and stylistically, it feels very out of place.

A possible alternative that might work better visually and narratively:

- The very first cut from the Tantive IV is to the rebel troops downloading the data; the shaky cam and interior explosions make immediate sense as we're now inside the environment that was being shot at by the Star Destroyer. This would feel like a natural edit that would flow a lot better. The scene ends as you have it, with the rebel troops realizing the door is stuck.

- Cut to 3PO stumbling through the hallway; we started where the most intense action was, cutting from the direct impact on the outside of the ship, and now we cut to another part of the ship that's sustained less damage, where a droid like 3PO doesn't really know what's going on. We see rebel troops running through the halls, but not yet lining up at the door.

- Cut to Tantive IV getting swallowed up by the Star Destroyer.

- Cut back to the rebel troops at the stuck door. Now we see the R1 Vader scene.

- The subsequent scenes are as you have them; the switch pulled and then cut to 3PO's reaction "Did you hear that?" works well. After 3PO's "We're doomed. There'll be no escape for the princess this time." we cut to...

- The scene where Leia is handed the Death Star data has two issues: One is that the color grading is still off. I've put up comparison images below as well as a color corrected version by me to illustrate the difference. The second issue is that Leia's room (presumably the cockpit) looks out onto space but this blatantly contradicts the fact that the ship is now docked in the Star Destroyer's underbelly.

Color grading comparison for Tantive IV hallway below:
Original:
VdKxyaj.png

R1:
hTCRT5h.png

Color corrected by me to match 3PO hallway shot:
YiXDqV1.png

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice job on the color grading. I worked on that as a side by side and I could not reach the same level you did! That is amazing! What did you do to achieve that? It would me a nice easy fix.

As for the reorder of the scenes, please keep in mind that we are in 2 very different parts of the ship. So one is the direct hit vs the other being father away. The order you set up was one of my first attempts and it was something that feedback was not as kindly on. So that was why I re-ordered the shots the way you see them now.

I never thought of her room as being the cockpit, she would have pilots there, and no one else is in the room with her. The chairs are empty. But I guess it could be? It goes by so fast that I never gave it as much thought to be honest.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi lantern, just some feedback from a viewer for whatever it's worth.

The SC38 integration is really excellent, works well with the trims you've made, and blends essentially seamlessly with the original scenes.

However, I don't think the same can be said for the R1 scene at the beginning of the movie. The initial scene, where we see 3PO and R2, and then a cut to the R1 rebels downloading the Death Star data is jarring and out of place because the lighting, scenery, and even the camera movements are so fundamentally different. We initially have the camera panning back steadily as 3PO and R2 walk through the hallway, and then we cut to a cinema verite-style shaky cam in what seems to be a completely different environment. Tonally and stylistically, it feels very out of place.

A possible alternative that might work better visually and narratively:

- The very first cut from the Tantive IV is to the rebel troops downloading the data; the shaky cam and interior explosions make immediate sense as we're now inside the environment that was being shot at by the Star Destroyer. This would feel like a natural edit that would flow a lot better. The scene ends as you have it, with the rebel troops realizing the door is stuck.

- Cut to 3PO stumbling through the hallway; we started where the most intense action was, cutting from the direct impact on the outside of the ship, and now we cut to another part of the ship that's sustained less damage, where a droid like 3PO doesn't really know what's going on. We see rebel troops running through the halls, but not yet lining up at the door.

- Cut to Tantive IV getting swallowed up by the Star Destroyer.

- Cut back to the rebel troops at the stuck door. Now we see the R1 Vader scene.

- The subsequent scenes are as you have them; the switch pulled and then cut to 3PO's reaction "Did you hear that?" works well. After 3PO's "We're doomed. There'll be no escape for the princess this time." we cut to...

- The scene where Leia is handed the Death Star data has two issues: One is that the color grading is still off. I've put up comparison images below as well as a color corrected version by me to illustrate the difference. The second issue is that Leia's room (presumably the cockpit) looks out onto space but this blatantly contradicts the fact that the ship is now docked in the Star Destroyer's underbelly.

Color grading comparison for Tantive IV hallway below:
Original:
VdKxyaj.png

R1:
hTCRT5h.png

Color corrected by me to match 3PO hallway shot:
YiXDqV1.png
That color grading is quite impressive. Is that in Premiere? On the other point, I believe that you present a good alternative to the way these scenes play out in The Glowing One's (already approved) edit. However, I have watched this edit several times and I don't see a problem with the scenes as they are.

Last edited:

taurus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing fancy; I just messed around with the sliders in the lumetri color panel in premiere pro until it looked like a good match. It's not perfect though; one problem is the overhead lights. I think the scene probably needs to be slightly darkened a bit and tweaked a lot more too...

As far as Leia's room, you can see her window looks out onto stars. Maybe this could be masked?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't use Premier, so that could be why your color looked better.

sens8ion1127

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I played with it a little bit. I can't make the Death Star smaller because I need the screen to be filled with stars in the background and there would be a empty black bar on the bottom if I made it smaller. So I played with the contrast a bit to slightly darken the shot up and hopefully hide the defects of blowing up (Pun Intended) the image....

Hey man, know this isnt so related but how can I get a link to the new hope edit you made with the sc-38 scene edited in place of the original fight? I have been dying for someone to finally do it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In this particular case, it's Lantern51. So click on their name. You will see their user profile. Click on "start conversation". Then you are good to go.

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
of course. I didnt mean post it publicly. I would prefer it in a private message. I just have no idea how to send a private message on here.
The rule is not only about asking for the link to be posted publicly. It also forbids to ask for the link publicly.

This said, welcome to the forum!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You posted a bogus review to ask for the edit on IFDB???

I hope that you have watched the edit and intend to go back and change your review to an honest one.

Last edited:

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched this edit recently, but it was an older version of the edit. Therefore, I do know that some of the issues were cleaned up such as the SC 38 prequel dialogue and the somewhat clunky fit.

It looks like I will be repeating what others say. This edit does a lot of justice to Vader. In light of the prequels, he needed to come off as more ferocious. I also liked mixing between the original and SE versions. I have always been somewhere in the middle with the changes Lucas made in that I felt some were good and others bad.

For example, in the version of the edit I watched, I liked the removal of Jabba before the boarding of the millennium falcon. I also liked some of the flashbacks Obi Wan had when thinking about the dark times. However, the flashbacks showing the Ewan Obi Wan chopping up Anakin were too aggressive for me. This is too dark for the beginning of the movie.

Having the flashbacks stick to stormtroopers shooting people down would have been fine for me.

Overall, this would be my go to edit from the ones I am familiar with.

Top Bottom