• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Incredible Hulk: Struggle for Control

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done with this, it sounds fab. I look forward to checking out this edit on my MCU rewatch. I do wonder how effective Topaz AI would be with the deleted scenes. Have you tried it before? If not, I recommend the free trial.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done with this, it sounds fab. I look forward to checking out this edit on my MCU rewatch. I do wonder how effective Topaz AI would be with the deleted scenes. Have you tried it before? If not, I recommend the free trial.

Agreed, I had some success with the deleted Blade Runner scenes, using Topaz trial.

• Some definitely worked better than others, but for scenes that are not super complex, it did great. However, I also slightly downgraded my original source to blend the two better, and it worked for the "more polluted" vibe I was going for. Not sure it would always work here as when I tried to add detail to the original sources, it only made the upscaled deleted scenes more noticeable.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@revel911, thank you. That's a kind offer. I will PM you my thoughts and some clips. (y)
Let's see if its possible to make this look any better!

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hulk SMASH low resolution video!

@revel911 kindly upscaled the SD deleted scenes to 1080p in Topaz, and most of them look great. A few things confused the Topaz software, most notably the partially closed blinds in the background of one scene, that got a milky haze over the shot.

Then converted that file from 29.97fps to 23.976fps. Tried several ways:
- Change speed in Vegas (multiply the duration by 29.97/23.976). Result: too obviously slowed down from the intended speed.
- Convert framerate in Vegas. Result: a slight haze over edges in most shots, like light halos.
- Convert framerate in TMPGEnc. Result: less halo effect, but movement showed more sawtooth edging.
- Convert framerate in Handbrake. Result: less halo, less sawtooth. Not as good as the "proper" HD scenes, but the best possible (with the available software).
(We also tried to convert framerate in SD before upscale in Topaz, the resulting image was a little softer than doing Topaz first).

Now to place the video of all deleted scenes with this upscaled version, and rework the color balance with the preceding and following shots. Then re-render. It'll definitely make the 720p version look better, and I'll test whether this looks good in 1080p. :)

Last edited:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Such great news! This looks like it'll become the best possible version of this movie, not to mention my default cut to watch! :)

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE: VERSION 2 IS DONE IN 1080p!

As many of you requested, all SD deleted scenes have been replaced by upscaled versions. Extra care was taken to also achieve a smooth framerate correction. Audio, subtitles, and runtime are unchanged.

Hulk-sized thanks to @revel911 ! His trial-and-error with settings in Topaz delivered a quality that I had not imagined possible. 🥳 Particular awe for @revel911's patience in finding the right setting to make the blinds look correct in General Joe's office. 🤩

REPEAT: PROPERLY UPSCALED VERSION 2 IS DONE!

Last edited:

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hulk-sized thanks to @revel911 ! His trial-and-error with settings in Topaz delivered a quality that I had not imagined possible. 🥳 Particular awe for @revel911's patience in finding the right setting to make the blinds look correct in General Joe's office. 🤩

Topaz is a strange beast. It can produce some shockingly good results but trial and improvement is a must. Out of interest which settings did you opt for with this edit?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE: VERSION 2 IS DONE IN 1080p!

As many of you requested, all SD deleted scenes have been replaced by upscaled versions. Extra care was taken to also achieve a smooth framerate correction. Audio, subtitles, and runtime are unchanged.

REPEAT: PROPERLY UPSCALED VERSION 2 IS DONE!

Will you be releasing it in a high-bitrate Blu-ray quality version?

Top Bottom