• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The X-Files

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
x-files-logo-banner-1024x479.png

I couldn't find a thread specifically about he X-Files. There is one about the return of the X-Files, this this will be dedicated to the original series.

I've been running through the mythology episodes and just finished S7E11 "Closure". Wow, I don't remember this one from when I was a kid, but it definitely ranks right there with the best tv productions I've ever witnessed in my life. There is a haunting beauty in this story of grief and healing. The beginning and ending have a reverence of loss and a rebirth of life through hope. I've always loved how The X-Files presentes faith, science, myth, legend and the fantastical as intersected pieces of a whole. Duchovany is spectacular at the closing and channels a release and peace that those who experience grief will find healing. 10/10

Apparently the final scenes were supposed to have Mulder break down into tears after the reveal, but Duchovany asked them to allow him to take it in the direction that we see. To say he nailed it would be an understatement.

Some gems from the episode:

Mulder: They said the birds refused to sing. And the thermometer fell suddenly. As if God himself had His breath stolen away. No one there dared speak aloud. As much in shame as in sorrow. They uncovered the bodies one by one. The eyes of the dead were closed, as if waiting for permission to open them. Were they still dreaming of ice cream and monkey bars? Of birthday cake and no future but the afternoon? Or had their innocence been taken along with their lives? Buried in the cold earth so long ago. These fates seemed too cruel even for God to allow. Or are the tragic young born again when the world’s not looking? I want to believe so badly in a truth beyond our own. Hidden and obscured from all but the most sensitive eyes. In the endless procession of souls. In what can not and will not be destroyed. I want to believe we are unaware of God’s eternal recompense and sadness. That we cannot see its truth. That that which is born still lives and can not be buried in the cold earth. But only waits to be born again at God’s behest. Where in ancient starlight we lay… in repose.

Mulder: You know I never stopped to think. The light is billions of years old by the time we see it. The beginning of time, right past us into the future. Nothing is ancient in the universe. Maybe they are souls, Scully. Travelling through time and star light. Looking for homes. I wonder what my mother saw. I wonder what she was trying to tell me.

Last edited:

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My main problem with Closure, is that the fate of the character in the episode (not saying who it is for people who haven't seen the series and I forgot how to use spoiler tags on here) does not match up with the clues from previous seasons.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My main problem with Closure, is that the fate of the character in the episode (not saying who it is for people who haven't seen the series and I forgot how to use spoiler tags on here) does not match up with the clues from previous seasons.
I just ran over that character's known storyline and I don't see why it can't work. The additional portions that come later fit fine in the narrative and also allows for the variants of that character in earlier seasons. Sure, it curveballs it, but I personally like how it turns out.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just ran over that character's known storyline and I don't see why it can't work. The additional portions that come later fit fine in the narrative and also allows for the variants of that character in earlier seasons. Sure, it curveballs it, but I personally like how it turns out.
Season 2: Alien Bounty Hunter tells Mulder that the character is still alive.
Season 6: Cassandra Spender tells Mulder the character is still alive (and she has no reason to lie.

It was also quite annoying when Mulder met the character at the start of season 5 and it wasn't until mid-season 6 that it was stated to be a fake version (even though it wasn't stated if it was an actress CSM hired, or yet anouther clone).

In the future, I would love to edit all the mythology episodes so they were more consistent, getting rid of all references to the character being alive would help massively.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I went through a phase of binging X Files, but I couldn't stand the main plot past early on in the 2nd season. Nothing seemed to make any sense, and it just seemed like the writers had no idea what they were trying to do. I loved many of the monster-of-the-week episodes though and so I followed an online "plan" for the best of those across the seasons.

Top Bottom